Menu

Dr. Hive - what else can she do?

Night Elf

Dd is away at college. She developed a cough about 8 days ago. She was also feeling a little congestion but she said it wasn't bad. It was a wet cough though. I suggested she take an expectorant to help cough up the mucus. She bought Mucinex DM which is both an expectorant and suppressant. She used that for a few days with no relief. Her coughing got worse and her left side started hurting. She went to the health center. The doctor prescribed the same OTC medicine she was already taking, Mucinex DM, ibuprofen for the side pain, and gave her an inhaler to use for 4 days. That was yesterday. How long should she wait before she goes back in to say it's not working? I was thinking if she's not feeling any better to go back on Friday. Her side is hurting really bad this morning. The doctor said the coughing was making her use muscles she's not used to using. I told her it was important to take all the medicine as prescribed. Is there anything else she can do for relief? She feels miserable and it's not only affecting her sleep, but her ability to concentrate in classes and on homework because she's coughing so much.

The health center is not open on Saturday but is an urgent care on Sunday. I'm assuming they take walk-ins on Sunday.

I'm not sure what area you are in. In my area there is a very bad cough going around. It hits people and stays with them for two months. (Also whooping cough is coming back and adults are getting it.) It took me steroid inhalers and a very expensive antibiotic to get over it. It took my breath away. I coughed so hard it made me vomit. If you lived in my area I would tell her to go back asap. 

Edited by moonsong

Go now, that pain sounds like a pneumonia symptom to me.

Does she have a thermometer to check her own temperature? She could have a low grade fever going and not notice it because it's buried in all the other feeling-crumminess.

ETA after some experiences last year one of mine had with a campus health clinic and "send em home with OTCs" attitude which ended up having lasting consequences, you might consider having her get in to see a local doc. Ymmv

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

Yeah, I was thinking she should be seen by our doctor network. We have Kaiser and there is a facility less than 2 miles from the campus. The university health center is convenient but I'm not sure of their level of care.

I agree with you and would do this as soon as she can reasonably get there. I'm sooo not a "run to the doctor for every little thing" person, but I also would be very concerned about the pain from coughing. 

Send her to the Kaiser clinic.  Every college health clinic DH or I went to was jokingly called the "student death clinic."  Good for birth control and condoms, but that was it.  Plenty of seemingly healthy college kids die from undiagnosed pneumonia every year.  Britney Murphy was the last celebrity (I think) to die from undiagnosed pneumonia.  Pain, trouble breathing, she most likely has pneumonia.  Get her to somewhere other than campus.