Menu

Would there be any benefit in taking the regular SAT in 9th?

This is what the PSAT is for.  Alternatively, do a full, timed practice SAT at home or at a test prep center.

I vote no on a real SAT in 9th grade unless it's a genuine, prepped attempt for some uncommon reason.  Colleges that request all scores be sent will see it.  I'm also feeling unsure about the level of advanced math in spite of the numbers of questions I've seen prior - dd (who is in alg 2 currently) took the PSAT cold last week and seemed surprised at the level some of the problems, feeling that she hadn't had all the math.

ETA, there aren't many geometry questions on the Redesigned SAT - maximum of six, IIRC.  Dd thought she saw only one geometry question on the PSAT.  However, I wouldn't want to gamble on them being a first-semester-of-geometry questions.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Interesting.  Was the math of a critical thinking type that she just found difficult, or even algorithms that she didn't recognize?  VERY good point about colleges requesting all scores seeing it.

BUT I thought we covered in a thread recently that taking the PSAT wasn't really useful unless one is looking for certain scholarships or National Merit?

(PSAT is not open to homeschoolers here - my cover school does it but only in 10th grade.)

Would this help us to gauge where he is at better, and areas of weakness? Or is it too much stress to attempt for a 9th grader?

Do the six SAT practice tests on paper by printing from link below or online at Khan Academy.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/practice/full-length-practice-tests

Give you similar information without a permanent test score.

My oldest SAT scores weren't useful in terms of information since I did not pay extra to have the test script back with his answers. All it tells me is his English score is as usual lower than his Math score so no surprises there.

• Like 3

Was the math of a critical thinking type that she just found difficult, or even algorithms that she didn't recognize?

As far as I can tell, it wasn't the critical thinking aspect at all (e.g., dd has plenty of aops and AMC experience).  Her friend had just covered the topics in question in precalc class for the first time.  I might wonder if the topics were things that would be covered toward the end of dd's honors alg 2/trig class at school, but the friend had taken that same class last year and also seemed surprised to see the topics.  I have no clue how many questions we're talking about though.

BUT I thought we covered in a thread recently that taking the PSAT wasn't really useful unless one is looking for certain scholarships or National Merit

It's useful for practice under official testing conditions.  But sure, if the student isn't shooting for NM, a fully-timed SAT under testing conditions would also serve for practice.

• Like 1

I'm having my 9th grader take it in November.  Math-wise, he's the same as your child, but he's not an excellent writer by any stretch, so I'm not having him do the writing portion.  

My reason for having him take it is that his next older brother is taking it for the last time that same day, and he'll be able to drive in with his brother, who will also show him the ropes about checking in.  DS3 is a more nervous type in new situations, so I think going in with older brother will help him feel more comfortable going alone in future years.   If it weren't for his older brother, I'd have him wait until spring semester of his sophomore year.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have it be the *only* time a student took it, but I don't see any harm in it. Yes, a school that requests all scores will see it, but is there some reason you think seeing that a student improved in subsequent tests after taking more classes would be shocking to them?

It's not too much stress for a 9th grader, IMO, unless you don't approach it as practice to find a baseline and make a huge deal about it. The first time my daughter took the SAT, she had not even finished pre-algebra (in 7th grade, through the Duke Talent Identification Program). Her math score was not good, but no one expected it to be. She's also taken the ACT every year since 7th because it counts for our yearly state-required testing (so this year will be her 5th time, schools will potentially see those after 8th grade). I'd be sure the student understood there would likely be topics that he hadn't yet encountered, and go over basic test-taking strategies if it's his first time with this type of test. It will likely help him to be less nervous about it going forward once he knows what to expect. The only test of this type that my daughter has found stressful was this year's PSAT (3rd time taking it), and that only because her scores were borderline last year for possible NM and one of the schools she likes gives a very substantial scholarship for NM.

• Like 4

DS takes an outsourced math class with a certified teacher who has created his own curricula, as well as SAT and ACT boot camps (www.mrdmath.com).  His advice was that we should wait until the student is taking Algebra II before taking the new SAT, because the level of math included on the new SAT is significantly higher than on the older version.   

My DS is a 9th grader who is taking Geometry this year, and I had him take the PSAT last week for practice.   Because of this teacher's advice, I think I've decided to wait until next year before having DS take the SAT.   I have a friend who is a certified teacher who does simulated ACT practice tests under testing conditions, so we may do that if she offers it this year, but otherwise we'll hold off.   I wanted DS to take the PSAT mainly for the experience - being in a totally new environment, not knowing the test proctors, timed testing, etc.   

We might start a DE class next year in 10th grade.   Our local community college requires either a SAT, ACT, or PERT test for admission.   My friends whose kids have taken the PERT have all said it was very easy.  

• Like 1

... BUT I thought we covered in a thread recently that taking the PSAT wasn't really useful unless one is looking for certain scholarships or National Merit?

Potential future scholarship money is one benefit, but there are others.

The PSAT is designed to be what it's name is: the Preliminary SAT -- a practice/prep for taking the SAT, so the student gets real, timed test-taking experience, and also gets a good sense of what the SAT will be like, since the PSAT questions are designed to be similar to the SAT questions.

Another benefit is that the scores do NOT go to colleges, so the student can have a "safe fail". (lol -- didn't know how else to word that)w

Another benefit is that, as with any national standardized test, scores confirm homeschool grades, and also can show homeschool parent-teachers where there might be gaps or weak areas to address.

• Like 1

DS takes an outsourced math class with a certified teacher who has created his own curricula, as well as SAT and ACT boot camps (www.mrdmath.com).  His advice was that we should wait until the student is taking Algebra II before taking the new SAT, because the level of math included on the new SAT is significantly higher than on the older version.   

We might start a DE class next year in 10th grade.   Our local community college requires either a SAT, ACT, or PERT test for admission.   My friends whose kids have taken the PERT have all said it was very easy.  

I was also considering having my dd take the SAT this spring in 9th grade.  She is taking Algebra II this year so, according to your ds' teacher, she should be okay for math?  I was confident about her taking the test until I read this thread.  Now I'm not so sure.  I just thought it would be good practice for her since she has to take a standardized test anyway for assessment.  

She is a DE student and took the COMPASS test for admission to our community college.  She also said that was easy.

• Like 1

I was also considering having my dd take the SAT this spring in 9th grade.  She is taking Algebra II this year so, according to your ds' teacher, she should be okay for math?  I was confident about her taking the test until I read this thread.  Now I'm not so sure.  I just thought it would be good practice for her since she has to take a standardized test anyway for assessment.  

She is a DE student and took the COMPASS test for admission to our community college.  She also said that was easy.

If she's taking Algebra II now, she should be OK (according to my DS's teacher - just one person's opinion, but he does know more about the test than I do at this point).   You can always download practice tests at home and get a feel for how she'll do, then decide whether to have her take the actual test.

• Like 1

I took it in 9th with no geometry and still had very good scores, which were quite a boon to me in the long run. It looked a lot more impressive to have a respectable SAT score as a freshman than the PSAT, more unusual. It certainly looked better when I switched over to college instead of doing junior and senior year. The ACT and SAT scores, along with the high school exit exam and equivalency, gave me a nice smooth paperwork transition.

For a kid looking at a traditional education path it might not matter as much though.

Edited by Arctic Mama

If you want to take a test "cold," take a practice test at home. Then you can use the answer key to understand what you got right and wrong.

If you decide to take the "real" SAT, skip the essay. I really don't think it's possible to score well on the essay without training on the format and rubric.

The biggest benefit would be something like the post above where you get a college ready score in 9th and never need to think about it again.

The biggest danger would be the kid bombing the test and getting anxiety over whether they are college material and bringing that fear to subsequent retests.

• Like 2

I wouldn't have my child take the SAT totally cold in 9th.  The PSAT, sure, but not the SAT.  There are plenty of ways you can quickly gauge how your child will do on the actual SAT:  including having him/her take a practice test from the College Board on Khan Academy.  It is scored immediately.

IMO, the most important reason I would not have my child take the SAT cold in 9th is that there are some colleges that request all scores from your SATs.  Another reason is:  it is kind of expensive.  

My vote would be to have your 9th grader, who has done no prep up to this point, take one of the Khan tests to see where he/she is at, and then spend this summer working on his/her weaknesses and prepping for taking either the SAT or the PSAT sophomore year, at the earliest.

I think taking the SAT early can have advantages; I took it in 6th grade, with only some self-taught algebra under my belt, in order to qualify for a program at a university.  However, I don't really see the point in taking it "cold".  If a student goes into a test with no experience with the instructions, the question formats, the expected pacing or the content covered, then I don't think their scores will really be reflective or predictive of anything.  It would frankly seem like a waste of money (and potentially stressful and discouraging for the student) to take the real SAT without taking at least a couple practice tests beforehand.

Wendy

• Like 1

There are plenty of ways to prep for the SAT without paying for and taking an SAT. I do agree that some group standardized testing experience before the "real" SAT attempt is probably valuable, but there's no need for it to be an SAT itself.

That said, I am a fan of getting the standardized testing out of the way before senior year begins, if possible. Senior year for the college bound student is so busy with other application-related activities.

Edited by Gr8lander

I think taking the SAT early can have advantages; I took it in 6th grade, with only some self-taught algebra under my belt, in order to qualify for a program at a university.  

Wendy

Totally agree with this.  My dds took the SAT in 6th grade and 7th grade, respectively.  However, those scores are expunged from their records within 30 days.  9th grade scores stay on their records.  Just wanted to make sure the OP understands this distinction.

Totally agree with this. My dds took the SAT in 6th grade and 7th grade, respectively. However, those scores are expunged from their records within 30 days. 9th grade scores stay on their records. Just wanted to make sure the OP understands this distinction.

For students in 8th grade and below scores are deleted at the end of the academic year the test was taken in, unless the parent requests that the scores be retained. https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/special-circumstances/younger-students

• Like 1

For those not seeking super selective schools, however, taking the SAT in 9th can check several boxes at once. My oldest took it every high school year beginning in 9th. One, for practice for when it counted for test scores. Two, we live in a state that requires yearly evals and as a nationally-normed standardized test, the SAT works for that. Three, it meant she didn't have to take a separate test to qualify for DE.

But we knew going in that she was going to be applying to the state university system, so I wasn't worried about her scores early on being an issue. And they weren't--she wasn't required to send the earlier scores, and if they saw them, they didn't care.

Just throwing that out there for those who might be in the same boat.

Edited by mom2att
  • Like 1

For students in 8th grade and below scores are deleted at the end of the academic year the test was taken in, unless the parent requests that the scores be retained. https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/special-circumstances/younger-students

Ah, yes, my mistake. My dds took the test at the end of their respective school years, which is why I was thinking 30 days....

Alternatively, do a full, timed practice SAT at home ..

If you want to take a test "cold," take a practice test at home. ...

This is what we did.  I had my daughter take an SAT test at home in both 9th and 10th grades.  She took the actual SAT test one time in March of her junior year.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

You can do the SAT or ACT through a talent search in grades 6-9 in many parts of the country and those scores don't necessarily show up in your records like a 10th grade or higher score will.  My oldest started ACT in 7th.  For one, we have to test in our state anyway annually using a normed test and the ACT counts as a normed test.  I'd rather pay for a test that might be beneficial to have some experience with in the long run.  This is an excellent idea for a kid that scores about a 90-95 percentile or higher on a grade level normed test.  I also found some value in doing a test without much prep other than to just look at the format so there were no surprises.  It really let us know where our time was best spent for prepping other years.  And that said, though we've added rolling review into our day to day math study, we in general prep very little for standardized testing to this point (kid is now in 10th grade). 

I took the ACT once in high school.  I took the SAT once too.  I did well.  However, my non-prepped single time scores did not reflect my almost straight A's or graduating in the top 10 in my class of 350 in all college prep classes.  I did infinitely better on grad school testing when I had a little more confidence and the sense to spend a little time with a prep book.  For some kids, a couple points on these tests can make a big difference in what colleges are open to them and scholarship money available to them and though I don't think people should be spending tons of time on test prep, I think it's good to have a feel for where you are at and where might be realistic to be for a final college application score. 

Mine did this. Well, one took it in 8th for a talent search. I wanted to demystify the process. It was much easier to study for it throughout high school once they already knew what it was like to take it.  As others have said, taking it in 8th so colleges never see it might be a better idea if they are taking it cold.

The PSAT was nothing like the ACT or SAT here, because it's taken in a classroom under much less stressful circumstances, so that wouldn't have been good practice. For a larger school, it might have worked okay.

• Like 1