Menu

NM

AimeeM

Do you mean spacers like the little rubberband things that go between two teeth to create space? It sounds like you're describing an appliance that fills the space for missing teeth. If it's the first, they take about 4 seconds each, from what I remember. My ds had them at 7, and had no issues. We were in and out of the ortho in 15 minutes. I'm not sure that's the spacers you mean though.

Do you mean spacers like the little rubberband things that go between two teeth to create space? It sounds like you're describing an appliance that fills the space for missing teeth. If it's the first, they take about 4 seconds each, from what I remember. My ds had them at 7, and had no issues. We were in and out of the ortho in 15 minutes. I'm not sure that's the spacers you mean though.

This would be to fill the space for missing teeth. 

Putting the spacer in was quick (5 minutes?), but in order to make the spacer, I think they need an impression of the teeth affected, which may trigger your ds' gag reflex. I have heard of dental offices w/ equipment to take digital impressions...that might help...

Edited to add- no numbing was required.

Edited by sgo95

Are you still taking him to the same dentist?

I'm taking him to the same dental office - with the understanding that only the actual main dentist (who was our original dentist) see him - not the other randomly appearing woman.

This is the only ped's dental office in the area that I'm aware of that handles special needs. I tried transferring him to a family dental practice, but as soon as he needed a bit of work done, they said he would need to be transferred for that work to a ped's dentist. There IS a new ped's dental office in the area we recently moved to that looks promising. The reality, though, is that with the medical needs, I'm not sure any dentist would be comfortable doing anything outside of a hospital setting if it requires sedation. Well, not any dentist of quality. Knowing what I know now (and didn't know then), I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the idea of it either, no matter their qualifications, so if we can get by without sedation, I'd like to try. For a short procedure like this that involves no actual "pain," I'd like to see if we could get by without. 

ETA: when I looked, the new ped's dentist office I mentioned appears to offer anesthesiologist-supervised anesthesia in their office, which would be a much better option, at least long-term if he needs anything else done. And they specifically do take special needs patients, so I'm going to call them in the morning.

Edited by AimeeM