Menu

Reasonable craft supplies

Janeway

I would love a list of what people think would be reasonable art and craft supplies to let the kids have when I want them to be busy. As in, stuff that won't give me two hours of cleaning later. Such as..the acryllic paint really seems like it was a bad idea. In the past though..water paints seemed good, hard to spill all over the floors. 

I want to head to Hobby Lobby and get some better supplies. Seems as if glue is safer than paints. I am referring to for the younger children. Plus, I do not have much variety so I would love ideas to what would be good for independent arts and crafts time, LOL..key words...independent and not incredibly messy. Like paint that easily spills all over the place. (I think I will improve the paint issue by pouring a little bit on a tray next time instead of letting her have the bottles of her favorite colors. This mess was my fault).

Edited by Janeway

Pipe cleaners/chenille wires can be made into lots of things. My 2 and 4 year old like them, but the 4 yr old can do more. Adding in beads to string on can be a great activity, but we are still finding beads from the last time I tried that.

• Like 1

I see ages in your sig, but not sure which age kids are the ones doing the craft stuff. I keep handing my toddler the Color Wonder markers and books... but she thinks it's fun to use them on everything else, anyway!

What about those stencils you rub with paper and a crayon? Or some other stencil set where you trace shapes? I think we used to have one where you essentially trade out the plates to make dress up dolls. Basic idea: https://www.amazon.com/Roylco-R5815-Leaf-Rubbing-Plates/dp/B001AZ587Y

Not sure it would keep someone busy 2 hours, though.

• Like 1

My kids have a permanently set up craft area where they have unlimited use of:

crayons

washable markers

glue sticks/glue

scissors (1st grade and up)

paper

foam stickers

stencils

On occasion, and only with permission, they can use (one type at a time):

washable water colors

washable paint

Model Magic (I'm allergic to wheat, so no play-doh.)

decorative hole punches

• Like 1

I see ages in your sig, but not sure which age kids are the ones doing the craft stuff. I keep handing my toddler the Color Wonder markers and books... but she thinks it's fun to use them on everything else, anyway!

What about those stencils you rub with paper and a crayon? Or some other stencil set where you trace shapes? I think we used to have one where you essentially trade out the plates to make dress up dolls. Basic idea: https://www.amazon.com/Roylco-R5815-Leaf-Rubbing-Plates/dp/B001AZ587Y

Not sure it would keep someone busy 2 hours, though.

The 5 yr old is the main one. She is a preschooler actually, as she just turned 5. But, she wants to make crafts all day long. I finally moved the craft supplies to lower, and more reachable, shelves, so I could get some things done. Unfortunately, I will be on the ground picking up little eyes and paints tonight. <sigh> In the past..she has cut everything up with scissors, including her clothes, all her hair (she recently cut so much off that she has very short hair now), bedding, books..it is crazy. 

She hates preschool and we pay a lot for it so we will likely pull her out at the end of this month. But she is so extremely busy, I need to not spend my days on my hands and knees scrubbing paint off my hardwood floors.

Edited by Janeway

Are you searching for ideas for your 15 and 12 year old, or the younger crowd?  My answers are very different depending on the age.

Then again, I may not be the right person to come up with "reasonable" craft supplies.  I have an entire room devoted to the endeavor, complete with an 8 harness floor loom and metal-working supplies.

ETA: just saw that you are looking specifically for the 5yo.  

What you really need is an old cookie sheet that supplies MUST stay inside.  No glue everywhere or escaping beads all over the house.

My best advice is to place things in large ziplock baggies, with all of the supplies for 1 project, and make sure that she puts one away before taking out another. This gives you the ability to not only clean up faster, but to have another craft ready to go when she looks bored, or you need a quick distraction. Change up the items you place together every once in a while.

My favorite busy bags included:

Popsicle sticks & Elmer's glue

Washable markers & old cardboard boxes

Prang's triangle shaped fat colored pencils - they don't roll all over the place, and rarely need to be sharpened and index cards (bonus points if you pre-stick them to business card size magnets)

Chalk pastels and black construction paper

Wiki sticks 

Crayola's model magic clay (air dry, no need for baking) and wire

Pony beads & pipe-cleaners to string them on

Coloring pages printed on cardstock (just go to google images and select "line drawing" to pull up her favorite subject) and watercolors

Felt and a pre-strung needle

Paper strips and a quilling tool

Coffee filters, markers, small jar and a pipette/dropper for water (freestyle chromatography)

A small hammer, piece of wood, and a few thumb tacks

3 pieces of para-cord tied together to practice braiding

A cardboard loom (simply cut notches on the ends) and yarn for weaving

Edited by Plink
  • Like 1

I hate the feel of construction paper, so we never had any.

Cardstock, colored paper, white paper

tape, glue sticks, white glue (use a cheap paper plate and q-tips for applying - less mess), tacky glue (again paper plate, q-tips)

Paint brush (cheap ones until they learn how to properly care for them), q-tips, cosmetic sponges for painting

pom-poms, glue on jewels, stickers

watercolor paint in the plastic 6-8 colors per plastic tray. We used acrylic paints, but I had a little 6 container tray with screw on lids for those. I put a small amount in each container and them let them us it. As they got older, again we used the cheap paper plates for palettes.

Tissue paper.

Clear contact paper.

Scissors, hole punches, punches in general.

Pipe cleaners, pony beads.

markers, colored pencils, pastels, pencils, gel pens.

For crafts, I also kept a collection of miscellaneous supplies.  Buttons, bells, tubes, misc bottles (plastic, not glass), containers, small boxes, cotton balls, lids, whatever. 

Now, glitter is evil and I avoid glitter. It could be used outside and shaken many times before it was brought in, but is still always seems to shed glitter. I did let them have glitter glue though.

But you didn't get access to everything immediately. We started with a few basics. When they were real young, they could only paint in the high chair. As they got older, they could use the plastic Little Tykes picnic table we had in the breakfast area. But you had to stay at the table, you couldn't walk around. If you left the table, the supplies were put up. As they got older, they had the right to get out supplies when they wanted - provided they cleaned up and put them back. If they didn't, then they lost that right for a time.