Menu

Question about Thyroid Numbers

Terabith

What did your Dr say?

You could just have a lower level of binding proteins, that could lead to a lower T4 and normal TSH.

Do you feel bad at all? Are you having symptoms of thyroid issues? Sometimes things with the pituitary can cause low T4 and normal TSH, your Dr could look at that.

Edited by Slartibartfast

Thyroid issues can cause depression but there are other things that can cause that as well. I always get very depressed when my iron is low...laying on the floor crying kind of depressed.  :huh:

I take thyroid medication. I would maybe ask your Dr what they think about it.  If there is something weird with your pituitary that could also cause depression. 

TSH was 0.645.  Range was 0.358-4.82.

T4 was 8.9, which was below the range of 11-23. 

T3 Uptake was 31%, which was in the range of 24-39%.

Can anyone help me interpret?  I know it's not a thorough workup, but was wondering with what I have. 

you don't want "normal", you want optimum.

tsh is a pituitary hormone - produced to tell the thyroid to make hormones.  the higher it is, the more the pituitary is working to tell your thyroid to make hormones.

were those total t3 & t4 (worthless) or *free* t3 & t4? (the one you want)

did they do a reverse t3?  (some people don't use t3 well, and it will "pool" - your numbers can look good, but you feel hypo.)

what is "uptake"?

c0db51507f017d4cf54ba7e406a447cc.jpg

• Like 2

you don't want "normal", you want optimum.

tsh is a pituitary hormone - produced to tell the thyroid to make hormones.  the higher it is, the more the pituitary is working to tell your thyroid to make hormones.

were those total t3 & t4 (worthless) or *free* t3 & t4? (the one you want)

did they do a reverse t3?  (some people don't use t3 well, and it will "pool" - your numbers can look good, but you feel hypo.)

what is "uptake"?

c0db51507f017d4cf54ba7e406a447cc.jpg

Yeah..I should have said something about optimum vs normal

People who are having issues due to thyroid tend to feel best when the thyroid is right at a certain level. When mine is right around 1.5 or so is when I feel best.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

TSH was 0.645.  Range was 0.358-4.82.

T4 was 8.9, which was below the range of 11-23. 

T3 Uptake was 31%, which was in the range of 24-39%.

Can anyone help me interpret?  I know it's not a thorough workup, but was wondering with what I have. 

Those numbers are useless. Sorry.

What you need is Free T3 and Free T4. Doctors will run TSH no matter what, but it's the Frees that are important. Unless and until you can get those done, you still don't know how your thyroid function is.