Menu

Boys and HPV vaccine?

Kathryn

I never paid much attention to the HPV vaccine controversy because I had a boy. Then, they started recommending it for boys and I still didn't pay attention because that was so far away. Now, it's here! I need to make a decision on who to do this at his checkup next month. Can anyone tell me about the HPV vaccine and boys? Have there been issues like with girls? Are those issues "real" (I never actually looked into that)? What have you done?

• Like 2

We will be getting it for our boys, as far as we know. The oldest is 11 going on 12, and if you met him, you'd know we don't have to worry about getting it right this minute. I am holding off a little while, in the hopes that our province will cover boys soon. I am not aware of any issues, but then, we are not vaccine questioners, per se.

S*xually active gay teen boys and men should consider getting it because it protects against anal cancer.

Mostly the big push to vaccinate boys is to reduce the likelihood that they will pass HPV to females, who may then go on to develop cervical cancer. I don't particularly find that a convincing argument to put my son's health at risk from possible side effects of the shot.

• Like 6

I've given tens of thousands of doses of it without my patients have any side effects other than a few vaso-vagal responses- though those happen with the same aged patients with blood draws, too. There is no scientific evidence, IMO, that negates the positive value it brings, and the most recent studies have shown that value is IMMENSE it its ability to reduce HPV rates in vaccinated males and females alike. When 80% of sexually active adults are infected with HPV, my kids will absolutely be getting it, along with the other scheduled vaccines as soon as they are able.

It does hurt quite a bit, but no reason in my book not to still get it. 

Edited by slterry
  • Like 23

I won't be getting it for my girls.  There are significant side effects and risks.  There are better ways to manage the risk that this vax is supposed to address.

What are the side effects?  My 20+ daughter did a significant amount of research before deciding to go through with the vaccinations, and in the end, felt it was a good precaution.  

• Like 3

Dh took ds for his physical this year and while I'm happy he got his meningitis vaccine, I'm wondering why they didn't do the HPV, too. This is why I have to do this stuff myself or write explicit instructions. :p

I think we could maybe hold off a bit still. It's definitely something we'll discuss, but ds will be getting it as will both of our dds when they are ds' age.

Most insurance won't cover it after a certain age, but I'm not sure if there is an age limit otherwise.

They only recommend it for a limited age range, up to early adulthood.  At some point I read that the reason was, it has contraindications if you have already been exposed to HPV.

I did some actual reading when it came out - and there were some real problems.

my girls were in their 20s when this came out.  I wouldn't have gotten it for them if they'd been in their teens. 

I didn't have it for my boys, and I wont' get it for dudeling.

I got it for my older boy, but by the time we did it he was 14. There is some evidence to show that it does a better job if it is given at a younger age. It is still effective if given to an older child, just more effective if done around age 11 or 12.  My younger boy has had the first one and will complete the series.

I haven't seen anything negative about the vaccine that looks scientifically credible.  It never made anyone 'retarded' for example. (not my words, someone elses).

• Like 3

When it became a topic some time ago, there were studies that it has the potential to cause premature ovarian failure in females. It's too late to for me to find the research study but anyone interested can look it up.

I remembered reading something about that this year.

https://www.acpeds.org/the-college-speaks/position-statements/health-issues/new-concerns-about-the-human-papillomavirus-vaccine

• Like 1

When it became a topic some time ago, there were studies that it has the potential to cause premature ovarian failure in females. It's too late to for me to find the research study but anyone interested can look it up.

There have been rumors about the ovarian failure for a while, but it hasn't been substantiated by the research.  The few cases that happened after vaccination are not statistically out of line with what happens in the general public. 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/hpv/hpv-safety-faqs.html#A6

Ds missed those adolescent shots.  When he went to get his college shots, tetanus booster and meningitis, the doctor also recommended HPV and Hep A.  Given the information, he decided to get both.  College age may be "too late" for some, so I would recommend not waiting that long.

Edited by Joules
  • Like 1

I know there were some stats out of India showing it to have 'adverse reactions' which were debunked with minimal research. The issue there was that any death following the vaccine was counted as an adverse effect, including car accident and accidental death.

Dd had it a few years ago but they weren't offering it to boys in Australia at that stage. But yes, if it is offered when ds reaches that age he will have it.

• Like 1

Both of our boys have had it.

Their doctor has six sons and he says all of them have had it. He's not a  "totally gung-ho on every vaccine under the sun" type of doctor and doesn't hesitate to tell patients and their parents if he doesn't think one is worthwhile. So when he strongly recommends a vaccine (which he did the HPV for boys) I tend to listen to him.

• Like 6

I am completely positive that my boys were not sexually active prior to age 18, so we bypassed that HPV while they were teens, and I told them it was their choice once they were 18.

My dc are both young adults and I don't remember it ever being offered.

Dumb question:is there a point when it's too late to get this vax?

There is a catch-up schedule for young adults.

It is most likely to be effective if they get it before becoming sexually active. It doesn't work for any strain of HPV they have already picked up.

• Like 2

The American College of Pediatrics is NOT a reliable source. It is not the American Academy of Pediatrics and they (The ACP) are filled with a lot of bad recommendations. 

Edited by slterry
  • Like 11

Ds had his. His doctor said it wasn't necessary as young as the CDC recommends (which I think is 11 or 12?) unless you know or strongly suspect sexual activity. We waited until he was 14.

The doctor also said many insurance companies won't cover it after age 18 because they assume the person (male or female) is already sexually active and therefore could have contracted HPV. Just something to think about for those who say they'll put it off and let the child/adult child decide.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

I would not do an HPV shot regardless. It is for sexual health. If my children want to have sex, then they can chose to get the shot with their birth control. And being taught how to use condoms. I do not think people should ever have the right to interfere with or otherwise mess with someones sexual health. Anyone who gets that shot has the right to full disclosure. 

• Like 1

I would not do an HPV shot regardless. It is for sexual health. If my children want to have sex, then they can chose to get the shot with their birth control. And being taught how to use condoms. I do not think people should ever have the right to interfere with or otherwise mess with someones sexual health. Anyone who gets that shot has the right to full disclosure. 

But it's not just for that. Even if your child stays "pure" until marriage, it is possible that their spouse has not. It is also, God forbid, possible for teenagers to be raped. Considering the 80% infection rate of sexually active adults, how can we consider this only for "sexually active" teens? 

(And making a disclaimer that obviously, it is every parent's right to choose which vaccines their child does and does not get- I just don't understand the thought that this is only for teens and adults who are sexually active).

Adding- I became sexually active at 14. I had very involved parents, but I promise you that they had no idea. I was lucky that I didn't get pregnant or contract an STI, because my husband was not sexually active before we were married, and how much would that suck if he'd waited and I had an STI?

Edited by slterry
  • Like 16

This just does not make sense. How is the HPV vaccine "interfere or mess with someones sexual health" beyond providing protection against an STD? And in this case it's a positive effect and helps to prevent cervical cancer.

And how is "sexual health" a separate category from general health? Imo, it's health. It's part of the broad range of what it means to be human ergo, much like my kids were all vaccinated against Hep A, Hep B, MMR, Polio, Influenza, etc, they'll be vaccinated against HPV.

Because it helps prevent cancer and I don't think that one should be punished for their sexual activity.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 16

But it's not just for that. Even if your child stays "pure" until marriage, it is possible that their spouse has not. It is also, God forbid, possible for teenagers to be raped. Considering the 80% infection rate of sexually active adults, how can we consider this only for "sexually active" teens? 

(And making a disclaimed that obviously, it is every parent's right to choose which vaccines their child does and does not get- I just don't understand the thought that this is only for teens and adults who are sexually active).

Adding- I became sexually active at 14. I had very involved parents, but I promise you that they had no idea. I was lucky that I didn't get pregnant or contract an STI, because my husband was not sexually active before we were married, and how much would that suck if he'd waited and I had an STI?

Yes.  And TMI, but I had a cancer causing form of HPV.  I had 2 partners (a boyfriend of 4 years while in college, and my husband now who has never been with anyone else).  There were no symptoms (which is usually the case).  I had an abnormal pap after my first kid was born and had to have a LEEP.  Basically they lop off part of your cervix.  It wasn't a huge deal ultimately, but nonetheless scary enough and annoying enough that I am all for preventing this from happening to my own kids.  It's several trips to the doctor, uncomfortable procedures, worrying that it's bad enough that they have to cut off so much of one's cervix that it interferes with having more children, time, money...and did I say worry?

• Like 11

By the time they are seeking out birth control, it's too late. The vaccine is given over 3 spaced out shots, a total of 5 or 6 months I think?

You are also assuming they will consult a doctor before becoming sexually active. I wouldn't want to bet on that.

• Like 17

Yes. And TMI, but I had a cancer causing form of HPV. I had 2 partners (a boyfriend of 4 years while in college, and my husband now who has never been with anyone else). There were no symptoms (which is usually the case). I had an abnormal pap after my first kid was born and had to have a LEEP. Basically they lop off part of your cervix. It wasn't a huge deal ultimately, but nonetheless scary enough and annoying enough that I am all for preventing this from happening to my own kids. It's several trips to the doctor, uncomfortable procedures, worrying that it's bad enough that they have to cut off so much of one's cervix that it interferes with having more children, time, money...and did I say worry?

Yep, same. I had no idea it was a risk. If my son can do his part to ensure that doesn't happen to any of his future partners, I'm all for it. Just seems responsible to me.

• Like 8

I can't tell you how many friends I have who have had cervical cancer by 22-24 years of age, and have had to get various procedures to rid their body of the cancer. They didn't even know it was possible. And several of them have had significant difficulty getting pregnant or keeping a pregnancy after their treatment because of how it affected their cervix. 

Edited by slterry
  • Like 6

I can't tell you how many friends I have who have had cervical cancer by 22-24 years of age, and have had to get various procedures to rid their body of the cancer. They didn't even know it was possible. And several of them have had significant difficulty getting pregnant or keeping a pregnancy after their treatment because of how it affected their cervix. 

What surprised me is that it showed up after having a kid.  I had had paps before having a kid that were fine.  So what in heck.  The doctor told me that when you are pregnant all those extra hormones and growing and stuff going on will sometimes basically activate these things and make them grow out of control.  Super.  Ya know, as if one doesn't have enough going on after giving birth.  It just sucked.  I had no idea what it was all about because prior to that happening, I had never even heard of HPV.  They really don't test for HPV.  The pap test IS the test.  If it comes back abnormal, then they test for HPV.  And there is no cure or treatment other than freezing body parts or cutting off body parts. 

• Like 2

For kids who are at very low risk of sexual activity in their early teens I think it makes more sense to wait until they are a bit older as efficacy does wane over time.

actually, they are now finding that immune response is lessened if the shot is given to older adolescents and young adults. For maximum immune response to the vaccine it is better to get it around 11-12. 

If you get it at age 11 or 12 you can get a 2 shot dose, instead of the three shot dose. 

younger = fewer shots and better immune response

• Like 1

Shot 2 (out of 3) in the series. Son, who has a high pain threshold, said it hurts a little.

He is on board, as he'd never want to be the reason a future partner/wife got cancer.

I'm kind of ashamed reading some of the post in this thread.

What happened to the Golden Rule?

Bill

• Like 16

actually, they are now finding that immune response is lessened if the shot is given to older adolescents and young adults. For maximum immune response to the vaccine it is better to get it around 11-12.

If you get it at age 11 or 12 you can get a 2 shot dose, instead of the three shot dose.

younger = fewer shots and better immune response

Can you link to this research please? I have not seen this before. Edited by maize
  • Like 1

And how is "sexual health" a separate category from general health? Imo, it's health. It's part of the broad range of what it means to be human ergo, much like my kids were all vaccinated against Hep A, Hep B, MMR, Polio, Influenza, etc, they'll be vaccinated against HPV.

Measles, mumps, Rubella, polio, and influenza are all spread via casual contact. HPV and Hep B aren't. That's why there is much stronger public health reasons to encourage vaccination against the former than the latter.

So yeah, sexual health is its own category. Not everyone is sexually active and minors shouldn't be IMHO.

• Like 2

I did not become sexually active until my marriage at age 23. Based on what I have read of the research, being vaccinated at age 11 (had the vaccine been available then) would not necessarily have provided protection twelve years later given no intervening exposure to remind the immune system what it is supposed to fight.

Happens my husband was also a virgin so we had very little chance of passing infection to each other, but I don't make that assumption for my kids.

I'd like to know though if vaccination at 11 or 12 rather than, say, 15 or 16 would really be result in better protection for a kid who does not become sexually active in the meantime.

• Like 3

He is on board, as he'd never want to be the reason a future partner/wife got cancer.

I'm kind of ashamed reading some of the post in this thread.

What happened to the Golden Rule?

Bill

I'm raising my son that casual TeA is wrong and avoiding it is the best way to protect his health and the health of his future wife. Also to avoid cigarettes because smoking is proven to triple the risk of cervical cancer.

• Like 2

(And making a disclaimer that obviously, it is every parent's right to choose which vaccines their child does and does not get- I just don't understand the thought that this is only for teens and adults who are sexually active).

:iagree: Exactly this.

The American College of Pediatrics is NOT a reliable source. It is not the American Academy of Pediatrics and they (The ACP) are filled with a lot of bad recommendations. 

American College of Pediatricians, not Pediatrics.  

And the AACP has indeed been around longer and has more members, being the longtime organization that offers the required continuing medical education that a doctor needs to stay in practice.  So you take your CME where you can get it. 

This does not invalidate other points of view.  

So I looked around and it did not take long to discover why this particular group is actively and vehemently discredited:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alvin-mcewen/researchers-and-physician_b_589751.html

But we can't discuss politics on this forum, so I have nothing further to say about that here.  

It's bad science. Researchers looked at 3 groups: young/2 dose, young/3 dose, and older/3 dose. There was NO older/2 dose group studied. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23632723

It only followed the subjects for 36 months and immunity was inferior in the 2 dose group compared to 3 dose groups for some genotypes at the 24 and 36 month marks.

I see nothing in that report to indicate that earlier is better.

Thanks.

• Like 2

I'm raising my son that casual TeA is wrong and avoiding it is the best way to protect his health and the health of his future wife. Also to avoid cigarettes because smoking is proven to triple the risk of cervical cancer.

Good for you.  Yes, he may well transgress what he was taught, but I'm told he will always hear your voice in his head and it will give him pause. 

I bet your second recommendation isn't considered unacceptable.  

Yes, to both.  But sure, they know where the drugstore is if they are going to do it anyway.  Condoms are cheap and accessible everywhere.  Probably don't even need to make an effort to find them.