Menu

Alternatives to Wordly Wise?

lolobeth802

I'm following. I was considering purchasing Wordly Wise for my 5 year old because he needs a little help in the vocabulary department. However, the kindergarten level is a bit expensive. Lolobeth802, have you always thought it was dry, or just this year?

• Like 1

I don't use the TM. It is not difficult to grade without the TM. I usually read the words and sentences out loud to my child while I am grading it because hearing vocabulary spoken out loud is the best way to learn it.

The only place i know of to order the workbooks is through the Sadlier Oxford website. You may be able to find some on Amazon, though.

• Like 1

Great, some really good options here! @MyLife It's always been dry, but we managed to get it done and it seemed effective. I'm finding the less we all like it, the less effective it is. I think we just need something new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lolobeth802

I like Sadlier Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop much better than Wordly Wise. I switched about four or five years ago and am still happy with Vocabulary Workshop workbooks.

I like the samples online, thanks! I think putting the reading passage first and giving them context for the words makes more sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lolobeth802

I like Sadlier Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop much better than Wordly Wise. I switched about four or five years ago and am still happy with Vocabulary Workshop workbooks.

We liked the free online practice games when we were using Vocabulary Workshop for fun.

https://www.sadlierconnect.com/vw

Just pick the book, then the unit.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

The Vocabulary with Classical Roots is weird with it's numbering - it goes from books 4, 5, 6, to A, B, c, etc. We started with 4 in maybe second grade? That child was advanced, though - i'll wait until 3rd or 4th to start with my younger child. I've never been able to find books 1-3, and they're not pictured on the back of the other books. I'd wondered if those were intended for grades 1-3, but I don't know - it's the only reason that I could think of for why a series would start with a book numbered '4'. There are only 16 lessons per book, so we do it in one semester. We actually do a semester of wordly wise and then a semester of classical roots with my older child. They prefer the classical roots semester, but mostly Ithink it's because they don't like writing out the answers to the wordly wise 'story with questionsn' section - they're fine with the other parts.