Menu

Cold weather camping help

TrulySusan

Next summer our family would like to camp in Yellowstone. It looks like average lows in summer are in the 30s, and the campground (Canyon) is a high elevation. Here, 30s is super cold for any time of year.

What do we need to stay warm in our tent that also won't break the bank? I don't want to be miserable for 3 nights. I also don't want to spend too much because we are unlikely to camp in these conditions again. We have regular sleeping bags already, but they are not for really cold temps.

If you hadn't already guessed, we are pretty much beginners except for DH, who was in the military. Campers are me, DH, DD, DS, and DS.

So, give me your best tips for what to do, what to buy, or tell me if you think we should just forget it and get a hotel!

Edited by TrulySusan

We often camp in cold weather but we also live in it too. Key thing is layers of polyester or wool clothing, plus hats and gloves. Do you have a 3 season tent? We found that has made a huge difference in keeping wind out. Do you have thermarest type mattress pads? You want to be insulated from the ground.

• Like 1

Sleep with your hat on.  We use fleece liners for sleeping bags to make them warmer.  You can make the liners yourself if you sew or are handy with duct tape - a few yards of fleece, fold over, seal up the two sides so you get a bag.  You dont need fancy - just another layer in the bag to trap warm air.

Keep your gear dry.  Warm drinks in the morning seem to go over well.

• Like 2

I sleep with a knit hat and knit gloves and good socks. If you keep your hands inside your bag all night you can take the gloves off.

Are you using a sleeping mat? If you normally sleep on the ground (I'm too old to just throw my bag down) I would put a blanket on the bottom of the inside of the tent. I have an old wool blanket in my car.

I sleep with a knit hat and knit gloves and good socks. If you keep your hands inside your bag all night you can take the gloves off.

Are you using a sleeping mat? If you normally sleep on the ground (I'm too old to just throw my bag down) I would put a blanket on the bottom of the inside of the tent. I have an old wool blanket in my car.

We have used air mattresses in the past in addition to an old comforter spread over the floor of the tent. We are considering sleeping mats, but do not currently own them.

We camped at Canyon a few summers ago when we woke up with frost almost every morning. Here's what we did and we were toasty. Put a thick blanket down on the floor of the tent. Then put sleeping pads (not air mattresses) on top. Get in your sleeping bag wearing a wicking underlayer (like long johns but not cotton), and then put a down comforter over top.

If possible, all stay in one tent which will help. We had two, three person tents for the four of us, so we couldn't take advantage of the combined body warmth, but we were fine.

I can't recommend enough the sleeping pads over the air mattresses. In my experience, air mattresses channel the cold air from the ground when they aren't simply deflating. I hate them. If you can't afford a sleeping pad, even some thick foam from Home Depot or extra folded blankets would be preferable.

Bring lots of layers. We were there the end of August right before they closed the campground and it was 30s in the morning and low 70s in the afternoon.

Oh and this has nothing to do with warmth, but it helps so much to have all your cooking things organized in totes. They didn't have bear boxes when we were there (don't know if that's changed) and you have to put EVERYTHING, including stove, dish rags etc., that has anything to do with food back into your car before leaving your campsite. Having it organized and in totes makes it easy to find and easy to carry back and forth. Bring garbage bags as they don't have any at the campsites. You just put your bags in bear-proof dumpsters.

• Like 1

I would look into renting some good cold weather tents and sleeping bags. REI has great rentals for pretty reasonable prices. I'm not sure which direction you're coming from, but there's one in Bozeman and Salt Lake City, but if you google Yellowstone gear rental, lots of other places come up, too. It may save you from buying stuff you'll never need again.

• Like 1

If your tent is spacious, you will loose most of your collective body heat. If you have a smaller tent that would have you each sleeping closely together (narrower than conventional sleeping bag width) with the next person, preferably with a low ceiling... That would be ideal for your 'cold enough to get cozy' tent. (However, be sure to keep a vent, otherwise that much body heat will also be a little damp or clammy.)

Other than strategic reduction of air volume...

- Use foam pads under you, in addition to anything you usually use for softness/comfort.

- Layer your bodies with good gear for sleeping -- and DO NOT wear those layers day and night. Keep them for night only. Remember to include night socks.

- Wear a hat -- or (better) a hooded sleep fleecie, sweater, vest, sweat-shirt or any similar thing that has a hood.

- Go to bed warm. Either go for a brisk walk or scone into the tent straight from the camp fire. Your body has to warn at least your sleeping bag: the sooner the better.

- Add an over-everything quilt or blanket on top of the sleeping bags. You can do this in groups if you have large quilts. Tuck it in well, or it will tend to slide off.

- Sleep individually. If you sometimes zip together with your DH, skip it this time. You'd think snuggling would be warmer, but really puffs of air that come in when the other person moves and the extra air volume inside the bags are just no fun!

• Like 1

Fill water bottles with hot water (not too hot), make sure they aren,t leaking, and bring them to bed with you. A thermous is nice, too. I second going to bed in warm, dry long underwear, socks, and hoody. My kids used their pjs as long underwear when it wasn,t a survival situation. I also second spreading a pile of blankets on the tent floor and bringing comforters from home for on top, and sleeping all in one tent but separate bags. Have fun!

Nan

• Like 1

REI rents some camping equipment, look into that before buying anything you don't have.

I would suggest looking into renting as well. Quality cold weather camping gear is pretty expensive, and the cheaper alternatives are probably just not going to keep you warm in those temperatures. 

• Like 1

Yes! to renting good stuff rather than making-do. Or just spread the word that you're camping and see what people have that you can borrow. It just ruins everything to be cold at night.

This may sound like it wouldn't make much of a difference, but it does! ALWAYS change all your base layers right before bedtime. And of course don't use cotton base layers. But as you go through the day all the clothes touching your skin will pick up moisture from your body, even when you're not sweating, and then it will "swirl" around you acting like an air conditioner. So you want to start sleep with dry socks, leggings, cami, long sleeve base layer shirt, etc...

Along those same lines, avoid the temptation to tuck your mouth and nose into your covers.

PP is so right that a mat is going to be warmer than an air mattress. And to layer up covers inside your bag.

Get those cracking hand warmers. You know, where you crack them and shake them up? Put one (or two) at your feet and one at your chest.

Shake out your sleeping bags right before you go to bed. They work by trapping warm air. If the insulation inside is compressed....and it will be from sitting....it's not as effective. Think of birds fluffing up their feathers to stay warm. 

If fires are allowed, do you guys know how to bank the coals? I havn't had much success with this, but my huz is a pro and it makes getting a fire going in the morning SO much easier....which is the key to success when you hve little ones whose grumbling about being cold at 6AM will spoil the trip even if you get through the night fine an toasty :glare:  But I guess your kids are older.

Get a bomb proof thermos and boil tea (or just water) right before bed so that you can drink some from within your bag before getting our of the tent in the morning.

Stay dry!