Menu

Anyone with knowledge about music education major?

Chris in VA

Dd is looking at colleges within about 3-4 hours of DC area where we live. She is currently interested in Frostburg Uni and JMU, and I want to know what makes a good music education major program.

She is just at the beginning of searching. She has over a 4.0 and will probably get in many places, but I don't know what to look for, exactly.

I'm also posting questions about Frostburg and other colleges, so you can see my other threads.

Just wondered if anyone knows what makes a good program--for example, should there be a lot of practicums in the school system? ("student teaching") Should she be going for a music degree that provides an education credential of some sort, or an education degree that provides a music credential of some sort--i.e., where should the emphasis be?

Some schools we've looked at don't require any basic college courses, like lit and history--I really wanted her to be able to get some extra learning in those areas! I don't like just focusing on music classes and education theory, for example. One school, in CT, does have the students take a core of liberal arts--but that's too far.

Sorry, this is all over the place! Any help would be appreciated.

I think music degree that includes an education credential is what you want.

Music majors tend to be time and effort intensive, I wouldn't personally be stressed about lack of a broad liberal arts component. History and literature are things a person can continue learning about their whole life.

Edited by maize

JMU has a strong music ed department, and is one of the few that (for elementary music ed) offers both Orff and Kodaly training. They also have a reputation for a strong band program for those interested in secondary instrumental.

Usually you would get a music degree with teaching certification. Some schools do offer an elementary ed or early childhood education degree with a music credential as well (which usually is a 5 year program because you have so many observation and practicum requirements). If the music degree is first, expect the full music core-theory, history, conducting, orchestration, and many, many performance requirements. Plus a couple of years of pedagogy. If the education is first, usually there will be less focus on the music core and more on the pedagogy. If you're going to a program that is more the latter, make sure there is a very strong theory core coming in, and take as many theory and orchestration courses as extras as possible, because any grad program, including the 2 week intensives, will expect that background, and students with education degrees and music certificates will often struggle.

In general, I'm in favor of the more time with real kids and in the classroom the better, and the longer I teach at the college level, the more I think that the teaching model needs to be flipped to something more like a medical school model, with internships and residencies after getting the academic core now.

• Like 1

Shepherd University in Shepherdstown, WV has an excellent music department and music education major. And Shepherd is very generous with music and merit scholarships. It is not a very selective school as far as overall admission goes, but many of their programs are very good - music, education, nursing, and19th Century American History are a few.

Oh, and Shepherd does have some Core requirements.

(I graduated from Shepherd with a BA in Music Education and taught elementary and middle school band before having kids).

Edited by Jennay