Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 42

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new/unnecessary. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

This week I bought a Halloween costume for DS11. Didn't get any particular bargain on that and didn't assemble it myself, but since it was *there* and I was relieved by the thought of just buying a full costume and not thinking about it again.

I bought drapes for my living room and did get those for a great bargain. I habe left those windows with no drapes or window treat,ents because I like the clean look and never needed curtains there. But when my MIL comes to stay with us later, this will become her temporary bedroom. There are four windows and they are tall, so window treatments could be very expensive. The panels have to be 96" each. At Home Goods, I found four packages of 2 each, 96" sage green panels for $25 each. Wow! So I bought those. I will still need rods, but $100 for drapes on all four tall windows? Yes, that works for me.

I bought a couple more things for DD's care package and mailed it off. She received it yesterday and was very happy.

• Like 3

Dinner and a movie with friends. Mindful. 

Spent about $20 on goodies to take to the grandchildren. We're flying out tomorrow. Except now we aren't going to see the grands. Dh's mom has taken an unexpected turn health wise so we're landing at the airport and renting a car to drive to Savannah to spend the week at the hospital. 

So add in about $10 to mail the grands the Halloween stuff I was planning to do with them (crafts, baking, etc.) and about $300 for the rental car expenses.  And I'll book a different flight coming home because I AM going to see the grands.  The change fees/airfare change for my current ticket means it's cheaper for me to buy a new return ticket on discount airline. So about another $120. 

I'm just sick about this, not only because of the expense, but because dh hasn't seen the grands in 15 months. Hasn't seen the almost 2 year old since she was about 6 months old.  And this is the second vacation we planned this year that has been cancelled due to health issues.   And dh can't take the few extra days to go see the grands after we see his folks...he needs to save every bit of his vacation time to see his mom now. 

I'll be gone for about 3 weeks but not taking my laptop. I need the internet break.  Gratefully, sandwiched in this trip is a trip with my sister to a quilt event in Houston. I truly need this escape after the horrible 2016 we've had. So....see you guy in a few weeks. 

Be mindful!

• Like 3

Liking your post, Annie, to show support.

I don't think I have been on this thread for a couple of weeks since I have been out and about--spending money!  We spent ten days in the Pacific Northwest (two nights in Seattle before boarding a board that went around the San Juan Islands where we hiked and kayaked for the most part). Between a couple of museums and yarn stores, I picked up some holiday gifts or yarn for holiday gifts.  I also went to a lavender farm where I was able to pick up a bag of treats for a woman who has been doing several favors for me--like checking up on our house after Hurricane Matthew and driving me to a medical appointment where I needed to be driven home afterward.

Hurricane Matthew wrecked havoc in a number of inland communities and for many farmers.  We attended a big fundraiser for the food bank and I bought a load of diapers to add to a load of supplies for folks who are unable to return to their homes.

Yesterday we drove up to Raleigh and back to see my nephew, his wife and their darling four year old son. We met up at the State Fair where we bought lunch for the gang.  I figured that my nephew was spending enough on rides and games for his son.  Not too many but these things are pricey.  Fortunately the four year old was entertained by livestock and other traditional fair stuff as well.

Off to get some dough for burger buns going. My husband is grilling later.

• Like 3

Annie, best wishes on your trip. I'm sorry it hasn't gone exactly as planned. I do think an internet break is tood for us all; i've been thinking of taking one, too.

• Like 2

$65 for outfit and shoes for my kid's gymnastics performance team.  It's a one-time expense for the year, I think.  Well, I will have to buy tickets for at least some of the events she is going to perform in.  Hopefully it is all worth it.  She had her first performance Saturday, and it was pretty cool.  This is her "thing."  And, I think it's cheaper than being a dance mom.  :P

$170 for a guinea pig, cage, food, etc.  I was going to buy a hamster (smaller, less food, less poop), but the pet store lady said guinea pigs are nicer and less stinky.

$110 ($55/kid) for a horse riding lesson.  We finally have a break from school sports, scout events, and travels, so I will try to schedule as many Saturdays as I can before all that starts again.  (I don't know when basketball starts.)

Free - my kid got a part in the school Christmas play, so that can be her theater fix for this fall.  :P

Next Saturday, there is a trick-or-treat fun run at the nearby national park.  It's at 9am and I am thinking we'll try to do that before horse riding.  It's $15 per kid IIRC.  I have an aspiring runner, and this sounds like it would be fun for both kids.  Of course I'm always getting push back about having my kids "too busy," but if it's fun outside exercise at a park (with candy involved), how bad can it be?

Oh yeah, and $1,200 emergency request from a relative.  For an ongoing construction project that looks like it's never ever ever going to end.  I'm told there will be another request in a week or so.  I had better just shut up now.  :P

• Like 2

Annie, best wishes on your trip. I'm sorry it hasn't gone exactly as planned. I do think an internet break is tood for us all; i've been thinking of taking one, too.

I had limited Internet when we were cruising around the San Juan Islands, hence I missed the second presidential debate.  We were also very busy doing healthy things that I did not find myself drawn to the 'net as often as I would be at home.  Now if I could only break this ridiculous habit while in the home environment...

• Like 1

I don't know exactly how much was spent, because I didn't go, but my ds14 needed a bunch of stuff to wear to his new job at McDonalds (pants, shoes, socks, undershirts.)  My dh, who loves a good deal, took him.  They ended up getting everything at 50% or more off.  

They sort of blew their savings by going to a pizza buffet for dinner, but since they rarely get time alone, I don't begrudge them.

We had to spend money on a cat this week. Somehow 2 of our indoor kitties got a cold or flu.  One was mostly ok, but the other was refusing to drink, so it was off to the vet for us.  $250. 

A friend of mine who is writing a test prep book asked me to edit it for her.  I had edited the content a few months ago, and this edit was for simple grammatical errors.  I worked on that this weekend and she'll be sending me money for my work.  So that's nice.  

I just ordered two copies of The Three Musketeers for school at only .54 cents per book, plus $3.99 s&h.  I like us to each have our own copy.  

• Like 3