Menu

It's apple season. When's the last time you had an apple?

creekland

194 members have voted

1. 1. When is the last time you had an apple (or part of one)?

• Within the past 24 hours.
    • More than 24 hours ago, but within the past 4 days.
    • More than 4 days ago, but within the past week.
    • More than a week ago, but within the past month.
    • More than a month ago, but within the past 2 or 3 months.
    • More than 2 or 3 months ago, but within the past year.
    • Over a year ago, but still as an independent adult.
    • Not since I've been a kid.
    • I don't like apples.
    • I've never tried an apple.
  2. 2. Do your kids eat apples?

• Yes, often (at least during apple season).
    • Yes, sometimes if they're around or at someone else's house where they have them..
    • Not really, maybe occasionally.
    • No, they don't like them (or can't eat them).
    • Mixed opinions, some do, some don't (or can't).
    • They've never tried an apple that I know of.
    • I'm not sure.

Fun anonymous poll - spurred by eating a tasty apple here during apple season (tons of apples are grown around here in PA, but my personal preference is still for NY apples - which middle son thoughtfully brought us a supply of during his visit).

Do you eat apples (at least during the "in" season as I can understand not wanting them in the "off" season)?

Do your kids?

Do you mean just grabbing and apple and starting to munch?   Or do these count:

- cutting it in wedges and spreading with peanut butter

- baking into an apple cake

- slicing and sauteing in a bit of butter and cinnamon

'Cause that's the kind of thing we are more likely to do than just pick up an apple and eat the whole thing.  I can't have that much fruit at a time, and no one else likes them enough to eat a whole one at one time.  

We are still finishing apples from our trip to the orchard a few weeks ago, and I bought a bag of honey crisps the other day. I generally don't buy them in summer when they come from the Southern Hemisphere. When I do give in to my kids' requests for them when they are out of season, the bag doesn't last long because they've missed eating apples for so long. Ds will eat three in a day if I let him.

We had baked apples last night.

Cortlands are our favourites. We eat a lot of them in the fall.

I am still recovering from our trip to an orchard. During a family reunion of my husband's brothers, one brother mentioned that his neighbor had given him permission to pick what he wanted from the abandonned orchard on his property, mostly cortlands. I said I had wanted to try canning some applesauce this year. Next thing I knew, they were all in the orchard picking grocery bags of misshapen, wormy apples. I had trouble getting them to stop. I went home with four boxes of apples that needed to be dealt with right away. They were delicious apples, despite their problems. I spent four long days dealing with them all, with my mother's help, and still, at the end of all that coring and cooking, I had a whole box of apples left (which my sister took). I got two dozen quarts of applesauce though. Really good applesauce. That was in the middle of dealing with all our concord grapes.

Nan

• Like 1

It is often hard to find a good apple if you don't have a local orchard!

I have on son who eats apples fairly regularly, although if pears, kiwis or clementines are available, he'll eat those instead.  

My favorite apples are Pink Ladies on the rare occasion we go to our favorite orchard when camping in Virginia.  But we have to be up there in October, or we can't get them fresh from the tree, and those seem to be the best.  Once we were up there and they were at perfect ripeness, with some even falling from the tree.  We picked up those as well, but we never hit quite such a jackpot again.

We used to have apples all the time, because they were cheap and available year-round.

But over time, we all realized that we really don't like apples very much!  haha  We do like them in pies, tarts, etc., but not so much plain.  And apples are the one food I have a reaction to, if I eat more than one.  My husband still eats them every other day or so, but he's the only one.

Otherwise, we generally just eat them every Sunday evening with our dinner of popcorn, cheese, apples, and a movie.  :) 

We bought 4 trees last spring. I'm excited to have a good harvest next fall. :)

This year I put an ad in the local classified requesting permission to clean up someone's tree for them. It's bear territory here so people that don't want apples can find their trees a nuisance to have to clean up to keep the bears away. I got one taker and ending up putting up 50 quarts of applesauce.

• Like 1

I'm in apple country. . . . I'm a heretic.  I'm not fond of apples, and I hate apple juice. 

I was always ticked because my school lunch always had an apple.  I rarely ate them.

I realized, it's a texture thing.   I hate the skin- so it's usually ok if I peel them.  the flesh has to be firm, I can't stomach mealy.  I can usually eat items with cooked apple.  I've been adding chopped apple to my oatmeal.  (no sugar.)

Do you mean just grabbing and apple and starting to munch?   Or do these count:

- cutting it in wedges and spreading with peanut butter

- baking into an apple cake

- slicing and sauteing in a bit of butter and cinnamon

'Cause that's the kind of thing we are more likely to do than just pick up an apple and eat the whole thing.  I can't have that much fruit at a time, and no one else likes them enough to eat a whole one at one time.  

Pretty much anything.  I hadn't really thought of specifics - it's just apples.  Hubby and I were driving to one of his job sites the other day and I saw bins and bins of them that had been picked and were ready to transport, plus there were a few orchards yet to be picked.  It made me wonder where they all end up and how many people depend upon them.  We're in the heart of PA apple country with applesauce plants around.  I also recall reading that McD's uses the area as at least one of their sources.

I still prefer NY as my source.  They seem to be firmer and juicier from our sources there.  Locals (in NY) tell me the colder weather helps.  Perhaps it does.  It's just a preference though.  When we don't have NY apples I will buy some locally and we have two of our own trees (but they're Red Delicious and I prefer more tart apples, so the ponies and chickens (and squirrels) get the bulk of our homegrown ones).

Cortlands are our favourites. We eat a lot of them in the fall.

Cortlands are my favorite too - as long as they are still firm and juice drips down your chin biting into them.  Around here they're mushy.

Texture is evidently personal preference as one of my school lunchtime friends can't stand firm arguing, "they're not ripe yet."   :lol:

We only eat them in season.  Like a lot of produce, we tend to eat lots and lots during the season then not at all until the next year.  This year's local apples are really good.  

I definitely prefer produce that's in season too.  Apples store well, but fresh is just better - similar to strawberries, tomatoes, grapes, and pretty much anything else (except perhaps potatoes).  Out of season or shipped from too far just doesn't see to taste as good to me.  Our fruit diet definitely varies by what's in season.

Honey Crisps, Granny Smith, Braeburn, and Ida Reds are our favorites. We like crisp and a little tart.

Braeburns are my second favorite, but it's very tough to find a good one around here.  Honey Crisps are too sweet for me. Granny Smiths are a little too tart.  I've never tried Ida Reds.

Perhaps due to our PA Dutch (aka German source - Deutsch - not Netherlands) people around here prefer sweet, so Red Delicious reign (and Golden Delicious plus other sweeter apples).  That may be part of why my preference lies with NY options.

My kids all eat (and love) apples. How much I personally eat them depends on where I'm at health-wise. If my blood sugar has been well-controlled and is saying in comfortable range consistently for a few months, apples are often the first sweet/carb I'll reintroduce to my diet. Generally, though, I have to steer away from them for health reasons. :( 

Honeycrisp, only when in season. Rest of the year I buy organic Fuji, pink lady or gala. We go through a sack in about 10 days (except for the honey crisps, I buy those singly and slice them for a side dish with meals, they are so big and sweet).

Edited by Seasider

I hate apples in all forms: juice, pie, sauce, cake, oatmeal, baked, etc. I don't like the flavor and never have.

2 out of my 3 kids though, LOVE apples, so I buy them a bag of honey crisps every week and they plow through them. My third kid doesn't like any fruit.

Yum, macs and cortlands in season only (my parents live in PA, but very, very north, and they get our apples for us). During the rest of the year, we get organic galas. They seem to store well and taste like "real" apples vs. cardboard or sour bits of...something. Our favorite applesauce is 50/50 macs and cortlands with no sugar. Everyone where we live in the midwest asks me how I get natural applesauce to taste so good. 

For pies, I like macs, cortlands, (ripe) spies, and maybe winesap or braeburn all mixed together, but I have to cut the harder apples into smaller pieces and the softer apples into larger pieces so that the pie doesn't end up as mush with surprise chunks. I like my texture the same all the way through, or else it's gross.

My kitchen counter is currently overflowing with huge bins of local Honey Crisp, Fuji, and Granny Smith apples.

I have already made a batch of baked apples. I am planning an apple cake, a Dutch apple pie, and whatever is left after the ones we just slice and eat will go into muffins. If I have more than one batch of muffins, I'll freeze them. We are not big applesauce eaters here so I skip that. We love apple season at our house!

• Like 1

We've still got a half bushel from the bushel we picked earlier int he month. In September and October, we go through maybe 1/4 bushel a week. My favorite for October apples is the pinovas. Earlier on I like the ginger gold. I must be the only one who isn't in love with honey crisps.

We eat a lot of apples. I'm allergic and they make my mouth swell up, and I still eat them. :P I'm in the process of going grain and (processed) sugar free, and they help with the sugar cravings. We like fuji, gala, and honeycrisp. I can't stand red delicious, though. Yuck. Like a bag of mush.

• Like 1

I live in NY apple country, I grew up in NY apple country.  I think I literally always have apples in the house. It's never  question of should we buy apples, but do we need them this week or do we have enough.  And our standard juice is apple cider.  We will also go picking locally, but I can buy local apples at any store and alongside many roads, so we might not get to picking. 

And this time of year a lot of baking etc is centered around apples.  OMG, last year I made a swiss roll with a filing of cooked spiced apples with a whiskey cream. It was so good!

I live in NY apple country, I grew up in NY apple country. I think I literally always have apples in the house. It's never question of should we buy apples, but do we need them this week or do we have enough. And our standard juice is apple cider. We will also go picking locally, but I can buy local apples at any store and alongside many roads, so we might not get to picking.

And this time of year a lot of baking etc is centered around apples. OMG, last year I made a swiss roll with a filing of cooked spiced apples with a whiskey cream. It was so good!

You know you can't mention something like that without the recipe!!!

• Like 1

I live in NY apple country, I grew up in NY apple country.  I think I literally always have apples in the house. It's never  question of should we buy apples, but do we need them this week or do we have enough.  And our standard juice is apple cider.  We will also go picking locally, but I can buy local apples at any store and alongside many roads, so we might not get to picking. 

And this time of year a lot of baking etc is centered around apples.  OMG, last year I made a swiss roll with a filing of cooked spiced apples with a whiskey cream. It was so good!

We are apple people too, although not in NY. 

My very first job was at an apple orchard. From 13-16 years old I was a "cider girl" at a local orchard from September to January/February-ish each year. It was my job to stand there and fill up gallon after gallon of cider from the tap for customers. There was a discount if you brought your own empty jugs to fill.

To this day I am a cider snob: fresh from the orchard only for us! I find most commercially available grocery store cider to be just awful and can't drink it. I do really like the Simply Apple brand of juice- it's the closest tasting substitute for fresh cider I've been able to find. 

We are also never without a bag or two of apples in the refrigerator; my kids and I eat them daily. Pink ladies and honeycrisp are our favorites if we're buying bagged apples from the grocery store, but if we're at an orchard we'll try whatever is crisp and sweet. I usually buy 2 full bushels of pink ladies from a local orchard every fall (which reminds me that I need to call and see if they're about ready- they're one of the latest apples of the season). I keep them in an old basement refrigerator where they last 2-3 months before they start getting a little softer, at which point I'll make applesauce with whatever is left. 

Edited by Wabi Sabi

You know you can't mention something like that without the recipe!!!

It's exactly what it sounds like. Make whatever cake you like to use in a roll, I used a genoise. Then make a cooked apple filling to your taste, not drippy because it goes in the cake and you don't want it to make the cake all soggy. Then make a fresh whipped cream and add a couple tbsp of whisky to it.  Then do the rolled cake thing with the apples and cream inside and top with more cream.

I didn't have a recipe, I just made it up with what I had.

• Like 1

It's exactly what it sounds like. Make whatever cake you like to use in a roll, I used a genoise. Then make a cooked apple filling to your taste, not drippy because it goes in the cake and you don't want it to make the cake all soggy. Then make a fresh whipped cream and add a couple tbsp of whisky to it. Then do the rolled cake thing with the apples and cream inside and top with more cream.

I didn't have a recipe, I just made it up with what I had.

Yum!