Menu

want to talk me into, or out of, a vintage sewing machine?

hornblower

My mil moved (into a apartment at a senior complex) and pretty much walked out of her condo with just a few belongings, leaving us to sort & clean a bunch of stuff & we're welcome to anything there. 

She has an old Swiss Bernina, the kind that is in a cabinet. Knee control. I believe it's a 530-2 but it doesn't look quite like the ones I see online.

Afaik she sewed on it until a couple years ago & she's the kind of person who would have kept it oiled and in good condition. 

I suspect it's better than my machine (which is a cheapie 20 year old very basic Singer) but I dunno... I don't really sew & have no plans to start. I just repair stuff or occasionally sew a dog bed etc. 

I can't decide.  Is a 1950s Bernina something I shouldn't pass up? 

If we don't take it, it'll end up getting donated to goodwill. .... that's the other thing - nobody has time or energy to try selling any of this stuff & I don't even know if it's really worth much.... 

oh, definitely do not pass it up!  Vintage Berninas are the best - such a lovely straight stitch. I have several sewing machines, but my Bernina (not quite as vintage) is my very favorite machine and the one that I would absolutely hold onto.

eta  before I got my Bernina I didn't sew very much either, but it is such a joy to use, especially in comparison to a newer Singer, that I sew quite a bit now.  SO even if you don't sew a lot now you shouldn't talk yourself out of it. :)

Edited by bibiche

I would take it in a heartbeat. They just don't making things like that any more and when you (your kids/grandkids/neighbor/best friend/choir group...) need one, you'd be soooo glad to have an awesome, beasty, repairable machine that just works!

If you are super super sure you'll never ever ever use it, then don't take it. But, dude. They are so nice!

Well... I mean... as someone who sews only casually... my grandfather was a sewing machine repairman. He gave me a really nice, 1950's all metal machine. Some aspects of having it were great. But others... as a casual sewer... just weren't. I finally swapped it out for a relatively cheap new machine a few years ago. And I find I sew more with it, it has fewer issues and needs less fixing and maintenance from me. It's lighter, so not having a place for it means I don't break my arm lugging it out...

If I was a serious sewer, I'm sure I'd want the old one. I'm sure when my newish one dies, it'll die hard and be junk while the metal one could keep ticking for years. But as someone who mostly does small projects here and there, that's my perspective on it...

Dd and I took a class offered by a wonderful quilt shop a few years ago where we were taught how to care for and tune our machine. Dd keeps our really bottom of the Singer running really smoothly. Fixes lots of stuff that I would of had to pay to have done or buy a new one. Our group brought that speaker in for an all day seminar. It was one of the best things we ever did.