Menu

What to Wear

Mom-ninja.

Help me decide what to wear. I don't know what the dress code is for this event. I'm attending a show at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. The show is part of New York Comedy Festival. It is a late night show. 

NYC is known for being a fashion hub and dressier than most other cities. Suffice it say that I am not going to wear yoga pants.  :tongue_smilie:

So cocktail style dress and heels on the fancier side? More casual dress with boots? I have dresses I own I'd like to use.

I have a burgundy knit sweater dress and could wear black boots and tights. 

I have a violet lace cocktail dress with black or nude heels.

I have a heavy weight denim dress that looks like this but minus the lace sleeves. So just picture that style dress in very dark denim. It is also sleeveless. However, this dress I could get a dressy bolero or cardigan with sequins or something. Could wear with heeled boots or heels.   

I also have black slacks and a wine colored satin blouse. 

So late night comedy show at Beacon Theatre in NYC.....dressy or more casual?

I'm not familiar with that theatre, but just got back from New York. Being a comedy night and being late at night would both suggest to me that dress should be more casual, but you're right about New York being dressier regardless.  I think the burgundy sweater dress which cute boots would be totally suitable. You want to look put together and fashionable, but I think a cocktail dress and heels would likely be too dressy.

• Like 1

I am very familiar with theatre in New York and honestly, anything goes.  You will likely see people in jeans, dresses, dress pants. 

I'd do the sweater dress with boots.  There's a decent chance you will be doing some walking from wherever you park your car or standing around trying to hail a cab or catching a train or standing around the theatre waiting to be seated or have to climb steps to the seats or the bathrooms.  That to me means comfortable, yet dressy.

Here's a picture from last years NYCF and it looks like a lot of people in the front row are wearing jeans and nice tops.  Other pictures show dresses.

http://nycomedyfestival.com/history-gallery/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I am very familiar with theatre in New York and honestly, anything goes.  You will likely see people in jeans, dresses, dress pants. 

I'd do the sweater dress with boots.  There's a decent chance you will be doing some walking from wherever you park your car or standing around trying to hail a cab or catching a train or standing around the theatre waiting to be seated or have to climb steps to the seats or the bathrooms.  That to me means comfortable, yet dressy.

Here's a picture from last years NYCF and it looks like a lot of people in the front row are wearing jeans and nice tops.  Other pictures show dresses.

http://nycomedyfestival.com/history-gallery/

Yep.  I have never heard that NYC is "fancier than most".  There is a WIDE range. 

I'd go with whatever makes you comfortable.  Maybe not yoga pants comfortable, but I don't think you need to wear a cocktail dress.  Unless you want to.  Some people like to dress up.