Menu

Story of the Orchestra, but for Band? (or other music)

luuknam

Nope. I did a search the other night (the computer ate my response :( ), and I think the reason there is not a similar book is because band instruments (wind, brass, percussion) ARE part of an orchestra when playing classical music. And when it is just band instruments playing without orchestra instruments (strings), it is in the form of something like:

- symphonic band (band instruments playing symphony/classical music without strings)

- marching band (band instruments playing marches)

- jazz band (band instruments playing jazz)

- rock band (band instruments playing rock and other related genres of music)

The only books I came up with were things like:

- The Symphonic Band (DeMoultrie) - photos and names of instruments

- Our Marching Band (Moss) - young reader fiction story

- marching band series by Coachman: Team Spirit!, and, Competition - can't tell what level these are for

Perhaps look for books on more specific topics having to do with the different types of bands, or band instruments? Or look for more general things for children on music, like the website Classics for Kids, or books like The Kingfisher Young People's Book of Music (gr. 3-7), or DK Eyewitness: Music (gr. 5-8). BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I agree with Lori D. -- for the most part, the instruments in a band are also in an orchestra. A few possible exceptions would be the saxophone (not usually in an orchestra) and perhaps some percussion instruments. I've looked for a band book, too, in years past. I never found one, either. :(

We did enjoy listening to The Story of Classical Music, by Darren Henley (on CDs, read by Marin Alsop). She was pleasant to listen to, and the recording was well-done, IMO.

We also enjoyed Famous Composers (same author, same reader) and More Famous Composers (same author, same reader). Also well-done, but there was a bit of overlap from the TSoCM CDs. Still worth listening to, though.

HTH.

• Like 2

This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but I have a recommendation:  DK Children's Book of Music.  It has three sections.  The second section is about the orchestra & classical music.  It isn't anything special.  But the other two sections are the real value of the book (imo).

The first section covers traditional/historical instruments.  I talks about things like the didgeridoo, sitar, lyre etc.  It also discusses the historical development of each musical family percussion is anything you strike or shake, early wind instruments were made from bones, that kind of thing.

The third section is about modern instruments, and musical forms: jazz, blues, rock.  It talks about the saxophone and electronic instruments.  It covers the impact of recorded music or things like film sound tracks.  

The book comes with an audio CD of songs.

• Like 1