Menu

Boot questions

Janie Grace

I want a pair of short boots to wear with knee-length sweater dresses and leggings. I think this is going to be my "winter uniform." (I hate jeans.) 

Would you wear a pair of brown boots with black leggings? What shade do you think is them most versatile? I have a pair of black and a pair of brown knee-high boots already, but I want short boots (booties). Sometimes I just don't feel like having my calves all wrapped up. :)

What do you think of lace-up boots with this ensemble? (See link below.) I actually like the look more than the really wide booties that are so popular... I think lace-ups look more old-fashioned/classic and I like how they are flush with the leg rather than gapping. But I don't trust my judgment and I need someone to tell me if they are going to look ridiculous.

If I get the more common booties, I will probably get a pair like the second link. 

http://www.zappos.com/rockport-cobb-hill-carrie-black

http://www.zappos.com/dolce-vita-sutton-anthracite-suede

Please advise!

Edited by Janie Grace

I would not mix black and brown.

cordovan . .

I would find black boots more useful - but I wouldn't wear them with brown.  a brown plaid that also had black in it would be okay.

eta: I don't see the point of what look like combat boots being worn as casual shoes.  I wouldn't be wearing suede outside in the winter.

Edited by gardenmom5

I like the suede boot better, but then, I've never cared for the lace up type. I think the overall shape of the suede boot would look good with a sweater dress and leggings.

Black is pretty versatile to me. Mixing brown and black can be done--think equestrian outfit looks--but it's gotta be done right. For that reason, I usually don't try. :)

I also prefer not to mix black and brown.  Black leggings = black shoes, imo.    Brown leggings I think could go with either black or brown boots.  That's my preference, not making a statement on what is correct style.  

I do like the look of both boots.  My daughter wears combat style boots with everything and I think it's a good look.   Like you, I prefer the close-fitting boot with dresses/skirts

Here in the Mid-Atlantic,I would not wear suede.   If it is not wet/snowy where you live, then...  

You can definitely mix brown and black *if* you do it with style. Otherwise you might look like you have made a mistake. You can do something as simple as making your scarf (or bag, or belt) animal print to bring the colors together.

Boots are a very personal thing. ;). I would prefer a full-on military look ( think Docs) to the feminized lace up boot. The second boot I myself wouldn't choose because it is suede and a little low. But why not wear whatever your preferred uniform is to a shoe store and try on different types of boots to get an idea of what works for you and your look?

Edited by bibiche

You can have the best of both worlds by choosing a true black boot with a contrasting brown sole.  (I can't tell if your second link with "anthracite" is blackish or brownish, looks more brown to me)

Example [edit, this link goes to the grey automatically, choose black to see what I mean]

http://www.zappos.com/lucky-brand-gulvan-storm?zlfid=191&ref=pd_detail_4_sims_v

This way you can match either brown or black leggings.

Edited by Cecropia
  • Like 2

I just bought two pairs of booties for the fall.  One in a grey suede similar to your link.  I think brown and black is actually in this year.  Look at men - they are wearing brown shoes with black or grey suits.  My girls have a couple pairs of the tighter lace up boots, but a little more feminine than the one you linked and they wear them with skirts.  One dd has a pair of lace up boots with a bit of flannel on the top fold down flap - so cute!  Anyway, I think booties are adorable.  I say go for it.  You can mix and match with leggings and skirts.  You can add in some chunky socks if you need to break up the brown with black...  

• Like 1