Menu

Clown for Halloween?

Wilma

When my oldest 2 were babies, I sewed little clown costumes for them. I planned to put the baby in one this year, and get one last use out of it. But even I am rethinking that idea. And he's a baby!

Eta: And not because I think anyone else will overeact over a baby in a clown costume. I just think clown costumes have been ruined this year and I would rather pick something else.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 4

When my oldest 2 were babies, I sewed little clown costumes for them. I planned to put the baby in one this year, and get one last use out of it. But even I am rethinking that idea. And he's a baby!

Eta: And not because I think anyone else will overeact over a baby in a clown costume. I just think clown costumes have been ruined this year and I would rather pick something else.

That's sad but I totally understand your thinking.
  • Like 1

I would choose another costume, although the age makes it more innocent than say, a teenager wearing one. I wouldn't freak out seeing a 9yr old dressed as a clown. A clown that didn't have overly creepy makeup (yes, there is a difference! I have seen lots of clown photos and some look more menacing than others).

Also, my answer would be affected by whether or not I was with my child.

Would just be better to pass on it this year imo. There are sooo many costumes out there. Maybe we can help you come up with another one :)

Bummer :( Would have been cute for baby to wear it.

it would depend upon age, and how cheery it is.  how many other kids will be with him.

the clown mess isn't over- and target has pulled all their clown costumes.  I'm seeing more reports of people attacking 'creepy' clowns. (I assume most of them think they're being funny by being creepy, but "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye".)

I've also seen video posted of 'creepy" clowns engaging  in very dubious behavior - and there's a reason they get attacked.

My 9 year old wanted to be a clown again and I told him no. I wasn't that worried about safety since I'd be with him but I did think he would get more attention for reasons he didn't intend. Either he'd have older kids thinking it was cool that he was being edgy or thinking he meant to be a scary clown or he'd have people freaked out. It just seemed like the wrong choice when there are a lot of other choices. He was a clown last year and even then had people talking about how clowns are scary which he totally thought was weird and it freaked him out a little then. So he understood about not doing it this year. 

• Like 1

I would choose another costume, although the age makes it more innocent than say, a teenager wearing one. I wouldn't freak out seeing a 9yr old dressed as a clown.

I think it would also vary per 9yo. Some 9yos are much bigger than other ones. My 4'1" or 4'2" 9yo is not the same as some 5'0" 9yo.

I'd have some serious questions if my 9yo wanted to be a clown this year. He's never expressed any interest in clowns, but he has seen some news reports about scary clowns (they were in the Dutch youth news a couple of weeks ago, because they've gone global). So, my inclination is I wouldn't let him. But if he'd dressed up as a clown last year, then yeah, I probably would be okay with him reusing the costume (assuming it wasn't particularly scary). That said, I haven't heard of any local reports of scary clowns here in WNY.

Luckily, he wants to be a ghost. Unfortunately, we didn't have any white sheets, and neither did Goodwill, so I bought a natural cotton-colored sheet, thinking I could bleach it. Bleached it twice, still not looking *white*. So, he'll be an off-white ghost. Little brother wants to be a ninja (9yo was a ninja last year, and the costume should fit - need to try it on today).

I'm on the fence with this one.  While I did allow one of my toddlers to dress as a clown one year (she was adorable!!), I am one that usually sees clowns as creepy.  However, the rebel in me wants to dress as one this year just because the criminals and idiots out there shouldn't get to choose what costumes are off limits for the United States at large.  Of course,there is NO WAY I would dress as a clown this year, though I *might* allow a 9yo IF it was uber cutesy and not scary. at. all. AND my town didn't specify not to.  You would certainly need to stay close to your daughter, as she might be more likely to get harassed  because of recent events.

Edited because I apparently can't read and typed son instead of daughter.  

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 1

Our elementary school had a fall festival last night where costumes were allowed (ages 3 through 5th grade). I didn't see a single clown. I saw Little Bo Peep and lots of Batman and a few really scary skeletons/face covered type costumes. I saw some fancy dressups, Doctors, Surgeons, Ninja warriors -- everything. But no clown.

Edited by vonfirmath

I would be against them dressing like a clown ever if they wanted to get anywhere near me or wanted me to drive them anywhere or wanted to be close to my house at all while in costume.

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't like clowns. That might be silly but I have been pretty anti-clown since I was very little. I also dislike dolls rather a lot and find them creepy.

I have made my kid an elaborate "Five Nights at Freddy's" costume completely by hand but I would not want to make a clown costume. :lol:

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

Okay, y'all. I talked her out of the clown. We have seen the news stories and things, but this kid was sure everyone would know she was the nice kind of clown. So. Is a Jester too close? That's her next pick! I'm lobbying for a banana costume we already own. :)

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk