Menu

Book rec for greek history

lulalu

I don't have my WTM book with me so I can't check there.

I need recommendations for Greek history and early church history books for a kindergartner.

Also- best Greek Myths books. Ephesus museum has a lot of the greek gods so I want to talk about those too.

Thanks!

Edited by lolo

Archeologists Dig For Clues (Duke) -- general archeology for gr. K-3 ages

Usborne Greek Myths for Young Children (Amery) -- K-4

Greek Gods and Goddesses (Aliki) -- gr. 2-4

DK Readers: Greek Myths (Lock) -- gr. 1-4

True Book: Ancient Greece (Newman) -- gr. 2-4

Growing Up in Ancient Greece (Chelepi) -- gr. 2-4

A possible "picture book":

Then and Now: The Wonders of the Ancient World (Perring) -- shows famous ancient sites (Egypt, Greece, Rome...) side by side with artist reconstructions of the same site, to help visualize

No ideas for early church history for such a young child. A tangent to what you're looking for, and it's more for grade 4-8, but we really enjoyed How the Bible Came To Us (Doney).

Edited by Lori D.

Church history for youngers:

The Church History ABCs by Nichols and Bustard, this one includes Ignatius, Tertullian, Hippolytus, Monica, Augustine, and Patrick.

Also, the Heroes of the Faith series from Banner of Truth Trust has several picture book bios of early church fathers.We have the one on Ignatius and like it.

Our favorite Greek Myths book is D'aulaire's. The audiobook of it us excellent.

... We are touring the seven churches of Revelation next month so I am wanting to read some books first....

BTW: While those 7 churches were located in the area of ancient Greece and Asia-Minor (Turkey), at the time John wrote the book of Revelation, that whole area had been under Roman control for several hundred years. So, you might want to look at some ancient Roman History, which was the dominant culture at the time of the writing of Revelation. :) 

Usborne Starting Points: Who Were the Romans (Roxbee-Cox) -- gr. K-3

Growing Up in Ancient Rome (Corbishley) -- gr. 1-4

Classic Starts: Greek Myths

Classic Starts: Roman Myths - Reading level would be above K but your kid may enjoy listening to you read them.  Read the stories in full first.  I think it's a mixed bag.  Kinda surprised the story of Cupid and Psyche (which is Roman though) abruptly stops when Cupid dumps poor Psyche. 

Gods and Goddesses of Olympus - IMHO the best intro for young readers.  Simple language and clear, colored pictures. 

I can't recall which book it is that mentions Theseus abandoning Ariadne, or Bellerophon getting thrown of by Pegasus in the end.  Sometimes I wish the authors would spare young readers the worse parts of these myths until they're older!

Edited by bluejay

Amazon sells some simpler/younger options if you are interested.  There's a cute Ready to Read picture book called Romulus and Remus related to Roman History.  Also there is a Step Into Reading book called The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War.  These are readers, but I read them to my youngest who is still learning to read and she really enjoyed them.