Menu

Pet Peeve - STOP talking like this!

TranquilMind

I am watching some videos by eBay sellers right now, where most of  the women seem to be doing this but this happens everywhere.  I noticed it a lot on Househunters on TV as well, for some reason.   There seems to be something about looking at houses that makes women singsong their drawn out words! 

Women seem to be the worst offenders, but occasionally you will see a man do it.

Stop that silly upward inflection before singsonging your words, I want to say!  It is so annoying.  Doesn't anyone just speak normally any more?

"This (upward inflection before drawn out, singsongy word) SCAAAARRRRF is reallly NIIIICE...you can wear it with your DREEEESSES, you can REVERRRRRSE it, it's really a great item!"

"Well, that's IIIT for my HAULLLLL, thanks for tuning INNNN to watch me! I just LOOOOOVEEE selling on Ebay!"

On Househunters:

"I can just see us with our FRIIIIIEENDS, entertaining in this SPAAAAACCCE. serving cocktails at the BAAAARRRR, cuddling here with the KIIIIIDS...."

Always an upward inflection with the song.  Arrgh. 

Ok, off to sell a few things.   

At Starbucks:  "Can I get you a pumpkin spice drink today?  Did you want it COOLLLDD?  Did you want it HOOOOOTTTT? What can I do for you?"

Lol. 

• Like 1

Is it upspeak or something different? I was listening to NPR, and a speech pathologist was complaining about upspeak and how popular it is now.

I guess it is, but it also includes some long, drawn out words.  As if the person is thinking while drawing out the long sounds.  It drives me bonkers.

Yes, it is annoying.  I wonder how much is related to speaking on camera rather than just naturally.  A lot of reality tv isn't really spontaneous speech.

I find the vocal fry trend among women a little grating as well.

I had to look up that term. First article shows up with Kim Kardashian front and center.  There is an video.  That sounds like a growly thing, so it isn't what I am talking about.  http://mentalfloss.com/article/61552/what-vocal-fry

I'm trying to find an example of what I mean:   

Listen to the first minute of this woman speaking.  About 20 or so seconds in, she starts.  She seems nice and helpful but it is just the high pitched words that are drawn out that I noticed. 

Edited by TranquilMind

sounds like over-the-top trying to sell something. not realizing that *over selling* drives buyers away.

Well, maybe, but I see people doing this in regular conversation as well, not just sales situations. 

"Everybody came oooverrrrrr and we just had fuuuuuuuun."  It was great. 

Something like that. 

Oh my word. 

Yeah.  This drives me bonkers, but I really don't encounter it day to day out and about.  It's mostly on-line, TV, etc.  Watching the video you posted it almost strikes me as a sort of weird filler noise to keep it sounding like there is an ongoing conversation without breaks in the conversation.  A sort of "ummmmmmmmm" without the um (although there are plenty of ums on top of that).  Not saying they do it knowingly, but that is my explanation for it.

• Like 3

I had to look up that term. First article shows up with Kim Kardashian front and center.  There is an video.  That sounds like a growly thing, so it isn't what I am talking about.  http://mentalfloss.com/article/61552/what-vocal-fry

I'm trying to find an example of what I mean:   

Listen to the first minute of this woman speaking.  About 20 or so seconds in, she starts.  She seems nice and helpful but it is just the high pitched words that are drawn out that I noticed. 

It's classic LA valley girl talk. Actually, I do think the Kardashians have something to do with it because young women all over the country are starting to pick up that inflection from the show and then from each other.

• Like 3

Yes, this drives me crazy.  I work on a university campus and there are those who speak like this ALL. THE. TIME.

Though.......I have little room to criticize. 

I grew up in The Valley in the 80's.  My cousins lived in Santa Monica.  I could go back and forth between ValSpeak and the type of "accent" my cousins had [close to Val, but not quite] really easily and it drove my Mom up the wall.  {"Stop talking like that! Speak normally! You're going to do permanent damage to your jaw line!"}

Then I went to the UK for a summer and came back with a faux British accent.  My poor mother.

• Like 8

Yes, this drives me crazy. I work on a university campus and there are those who speak like this ALL. THE. TIME.

I grew up in The Valley in the 80's. My cousins lived in Santa Monica. I could go back and forth between ValSpeak and the type of "accent" my cousins had [close to Val, but not quite] really easily and it drove my Mom up the wall. {"Stop talking like that! Speak normally! You're going to do permanent damage to your jaw line!"}

Then I went to the UK for a summer and came back with a faux British accent. My poor mother.

I would take faux Brit any day.

• Like 5

Yes, this drives me crazy. I work on a university campus and there are those who speak like this ALL. THE. TIME.

I grew up in The Valley in the 80's. My cousins lived in Santa Monica. I could go back and forth between ValSpeak and the type of "accent" my cousins had [close to Val, but not quite] really easily and it drove my Mom up the wall. {"Stop talking like that! Speak normally! You're going to do permanent damage to your jaw line!"}

Then I went to the UK for a summer and came back with a faux British accent. My poor mother.

My husband is an accent sponge. We spent 4 days in Calgary and he didn't shake the Canadian inflections for MONTHS.

• Like 4

It's classic LA valley girl talk. Actually, I do think the Kardashians have something to do with it because young women all over the country are starting to pick up that inflection from the show and then from each other.

The speech pathologist attributed the recent change in vocal mannerisms to the Kardashians. I speak valley girl for fun to DS8, who calls it "teen girl". Gag me with a spoon!

• Like 2

Yes, it is annoying.  I wonder how much is related to speaking on camera rather than just naturally.  A lot of reality tv isn't really spontaneous speech.

I find the vocal fry trend among women a little grating as well.

Please tell me what it means when people say "fry."

I'm still back in the drive-through at McDonald's with my understanding...but I am willing to learn.  :0)

I think it's to show excitement, but I couldn't handle much of that video!

I would take faux Brit any day.

My sister doesn't talk like she used to. It's like she's a stranger to me sometimes. She lives in the UK and has been there for years now. Dh says it sounds like a fake British accent. I don't know how to describe it, but it can be difficult to my ears at times. He says she does vocal fry, too. I think I do sometimes as well, unintentionally.

We knew this guy people called the Ja'merican when I was younger. He was an American that put on a fake Jamaican accent. It was quite suspect. They said they knew it was fake because his real voice came out when he was drunk lol.

• Like 2

It does not bother me.  In fact, I can't think of an accent or dialect or way of speech that does bother me - I really like hearing all the different ways people talk.

Ds was annoyed today over the voices used on The Smurfs (on Netflix, old episode or movie). Some were extremely high pitched or such. I am sure there is a voice out there that would annoy you. Maybe Lemongrab LOL

• Like 1

It does not bother me.  In fact, I can't think of an accent or dialect or way of speech that does bother me - I really like hearing all the different ways people talk.

I'm with you.  This is another thing I'm amazed that so many get bothered by.  Learn something new every day - often from the Hive.

Perhaps I'm used to hearing so much "different" due to our travels and/or working at school.  Like the vast majority of clothing choices, I don't even notice.  I can't imagine being bothered unless someone were to insist that I change my ways to suit theirs.

• Like 3

I think it is more a distraction than anything else. Sure, no one is attempting to get me to speak this way.

But when I am around it, I find it so distracting that I pay more attention to the singsongy pattern that to what they are saying.

I am rather easily distracted by things like this, I will say.

• Like 1

It's marking yourself  as a type, part of a tribe. 

Self-identified nerds talk a certain way.

Guys who want to appear tough appear a certain way, 

People who do it are are people embracing a certain type of femininity.
it's not my type, but, so what. Not my tribe.  

Just about everyone is are able to code-switch for formal situations, job interviews, funerals.

• Like 1

I am rather easily distracted by things like this, I will say.

Barking dogs bother me.

When hubby and I were newly married and wanted our first dog we went to the pound and saw two who weren't barking even though all the others were.  We chose one of those two.  It was a really nice match.  ;)  (I often wondered if we should have brought both home.)  We lucked out with our second one that we purchased from a charity auction.  Both lived a long life with us.

Now that we're older we're quite happy without dogs - period.  I prefer cats.

I recently saw a birth announcement video from Anna Duggars sister and brother in law. I think that these people are world experts in the sing song, draaawwwnn out words. Listen for Paaaaaauuuuuuuullllll, Daaaaaavvvvviiiiiiaaaaaaa, come heeeeeerre, it's your baby brooootthhheeeerrr! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fBv2JjktOF4

. Yeah, I see what you mean, but at least they are addressing small children. People address adults like this!

Barking dogs bother me.

When hubby and I were newly married and wanted our first dog we went to the pound and saw two who weren't barking even though all the others were. We chose one of those two. It was a really nice match. ;) (I often wondered if we should have brought both home.) We lucked out with our second one that we purchased from a charity auction. Both lived a long life with us.

Now that we're older we're quite happy without dogs - period. I prefer cats.

Oh, I hear you. I have both moved and not purchased a house because of neighbor dogs. There should be no-dog neighborhoods. At least I found decent neighbors for the last 14 years.

It's marking yourself as a type, part of a tribe.

Self-identified nerds talk a certain way.

Guys who want to appear tough appear a certain way,

People who do it are are people embracing a certain type of femininity.

it's not my type, but, so what. Not my tribe.

Just about everyone is are able to code-switch for formal situations, job interviews, funerals.

I considered that it was code switching, but it seems to cut across all sorts of lines when people are looking at houses. They singsong features.

It does not bother me.  In fact, I can't think of an accent or dialect or way of speech that does bother me - I really like hearing all the different ways people talk

I agree.  People can choose how they want to talk.  

Language evolves over time.  Saying that you are irritated by up-speak or vocal fry is is the equivalent of saying "back when I was young," "kids these days," or "in my day."  It just points out that you are from a different generation, and aren't comfortable with change.  

You don't have to like it, but honestly, language is going to change with or without you.  You are only going to frustrate yourself by dwelling on it.

Stop policing young women - they can make choices on their own.

• Like 1

I considered that it was code switching, but it seems to cut across all sorts of lines when people are looking at houses. They singsong features.

Hmmmmmm. Those shows are just bizarre.  Maybe it's just, if you are going to be on, you see what previous "contestants" have done and copy it?  Kind of like how on Survivor everyone uses the exact same lingo.

• Like 1

Vocal fry is dumb but what really? drives me? bonkers? is when? young women? turn everything? into? a question?

Women have a hard enough time in this world getting others to treat us as competent without sounding like we doubt what we are saying. :cursing:

They will do that regardless of how women speak. It doesn't matter how the voice sounds or its tone or whether men do the same thing - women will be judged as less competent/more whiny. It also won't matter how much women speak (even if it's the same amount of time men speak) - they will be judged as dominating the conversation or chatty.

I refuse to judge the way other women speak - http://nymag.com/thecut/2015/07/can-we-just-like-get-over-the-way-women-talk.html

• Like 2

Language evolves over time.  Saying that you are irritated by up-speak or vocal fry is is the equivalent of saying "back when I was young," "kids these days," or "in my day."  It just points out that you are from a different generation, and aren't comfortable with change.  

You don't have to like it, but honestly, language is going to change with or without you.  You are only going to frustrate yourself by dwelling on it.

Except many of these same young women who sound like they are totally unconfident about what they're saying because they turn everything into a question will then turn around and complain about glass ceilings and pay gaps and whatnot. If you want to be taken seriously in the workplace, you need to speak like you have self-confidence.

When I lived in NZ they did the upspeak thing, where all sentences sounded like questions.  It didn't make them seem like they doubted themselves, though - maybe more like they were constantly inviting you to participate in the conversation,

Statements have a falling intonation. Questions have a rising one. Hear the difference?

If you're trying to make a statement but use rising intonation, it makes you sound like you have zero confidence in what you are saying.

Vocal fry is dumb but what really? drives me? bonkers? is when? young women? turn everything? into? a question?

Women have a hard enough time in this world getting others to treat us as competent without sounding like we doubt what we are saying. :cursing:

Hehe, all I can hear is cheerleader Brittany from the show 'Daria'

• Like 3

Statements have a falling intonation. Questions have a rising one. Hear the difference?

If you're trying to make a statement but use rising intonation, it makes you sound like you have zero confidence in what you are saying.

But they don't in New Zealand. Language varies.

• Like 2

Oh, yes, *fake* voices often irritate me - esp. on children's shows on TV (often voiced by people who aren't in fact children).

But people's real voices, or good imitations of real accents, don't bother me.

I'm curious what Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory really sounds like. Her voice on the show is fake.

I agree.  People can choose how they want to talk.  

I don't think I'd go out of my way to address this behavior, so I'm not sure that I'm "policing" anyone by having an opinion on the matter. I also think the word "bae" is stupid and I don't think it has to do with my generation or acceptance of change. I am allowed to have opinions. To me it looks like a lazy way of saying "baby" although I've heard it's short for "before anyone else." Yes, language will change, but I don't know that I'd call it all evolved lol

Yes, in NZ statements often ended in rising intonation.  No one thought they were constantly asking questions.  It did suggest/invite response more than falling intonation does, though.  A quick google reveals that it was in fact not just my perception, but is a facet of the dialect in some places there.

eta: I thought it suggested/invited response but in reflection I wonder if that is just because I am from an area where that intonation pattern is not common, so I associated it (incorrectly for NZ speakers) with questions.

Edited by ananemone

• 3 weeks later...

Please tell me what it means when people say "fry."

I'm still back in the drive-through at McDonald's with my understanding...but I am willing to learn.  :0)

Same here. The upward tilt and the vocal fry are two different things, yes?

Okay, I googled. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEqVgtLQ7qM

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1