Menu

Early Voting

DawnM

Does your state/area have early voting?

I am actually going to try to go vote today after work and get it over with.  I won't go if the line is really long, but I will try.

Dawn

PS: I am sure I don't have to say this, but no discussion of actual politics.

• Like 2

Dh and I voted last week.  We do absentee ballots.

There is still that option, but I have been told they don't even count those unless it is too close to call.  I would rather my vote be counted with the masses (although that may be just good thoughts I am telling myself to make myself feel better.)

• Like 2

No, except for absentee voting if you can't make it to the polls on election day itself.

I like voting on election day, so would choose it anyway.  This year, however, we'll be coming home from about 6 hours away... I've had visions of voting totally slipping our minds.   :glare:  (Or of car issues/traffic delaying us.)  We'll see how it goes.  We'll have all sorts of reminders that day, I'm sure, so it should be a non-issue.

Yes, we have early voting and I LOVE IT. OMG, it's so easy and fast. Just stop by when I'm in the area, and 5 minutes later, I'm done! Never any real lines, and you can go to whichever location is convenient instead of having to go to your precinct (which is a real PITA if you work far from home, as dh does). I do it ASAP once they start. We start soon. 

Yes. Not sure what they're doing this year, but they always have it in some form or other. Often it's a dozen places set up around the city for the two weeks before the election.

But it's a hassle for me personally. My actual voting place is visible from my house. I've never had to wait more than ten minutes to vote and that was when there was a big local race. Unless I have to be out of town on election day or something, it makes zero sense for me to early vote.

ETA: I think this is what voting looks like when enfranchisement is an issue that's near and dear to the hearts of the people making the laws - easy as possible for as many as possible with very limited lines and long hours. I'd love to have the actual right to vote and the right to not have my local votes ever overturned by a Congress I can't even vote for. I feel compelled to add that since most of the country doesn't care a whit about my right to vote.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 3

We have early voting, also our county sent mail in ballots to everyone this year in an effort to encourage voting.

I want to get it over with but there are a couple of state/local races and ballot measures I still need to research. State school board candidates in particular.

DS20 and I just got back from voting. At this point all early voting here has to be done at the county board of elections office (more locations open up next week). We had to wait an hour and fifteen minutes. I would normally have waited until next week and voted at one of the other locations and the wait time would likely be much shorter. But DS is on fall break and wanted to get it done today.

Edited by Pawz4me

I got curious and looked up this map showing all the states:

https://ballotpedia.org/Early_voting

Apparently, PA is in the minority not allowing early voting.  I had no idea so many states allowed it until this thread.  I knew a few did, but I'd have never guessed it was the majority.

I guess our official "Election Day" is now a thing of the past.  It's merely the day votes get counted.

We have early voting here in Texas.  It starts Monday and goes for two weeks.  Sometimes the early voting lines are longer than the election day lines, particularly during the daytime on election day.  Usually I do early voting because it's easy to find time to get over there.  This year I think we'll vote on election day because my husband happens to have already requested off work for that whole week so we can go sometime during the day when it's quiet.

I love voting day, but this year I think I'll go early. I'm not taking any chances, even if the act of going to the town hall is anticlimactic.

Hmm. Maybe I'll head over this afternoon. Do we still get a sticker? Lol

Eta: Done! And it was busy--so awesome! No sticker, though.

Edited by MEmama

We have early voting but I always go to the actual polls on the day.

We live in a fairly small community and I enjoy listening to the back and forth of the older residents who know everyone.   I don't know many people but one of the poll workers lives a few houses down so a "shirttail" neighbor of sorts.  I've never seen her anywhere but the polls but we've struck up a slight friendship over the years and she's always checking up on my family.  Now that we have several kids of voting age she always checks to make sure who's been in and who hasn't when she sees me.  She knows that she'll see all of us at separate times that day.  Those days may be over now because I think they've moved from the big paper books of voters registered to a computerized system now.

If I was on a tighter scheduler or had a precinct where there were long lines, I wouldn't hesitate to do the early voting.

We have vote by mail in Oregon (and you can only vote by mail or dropping off your ballot--no live polling places). Sometimes I don't get around to hand-delivering my ballot to a ballot box (several locations around town) until election day, but this year I'll fill it out as soon as I get my ballot. We got the voter's pamphlet a day or two ago, but no ballots yet. Voting for the people is pretty quick and easy, but I do need some time to read about the different measures on the ballot before voting for those. Hopefully the ballot comes today or tomorrow and I can get it done this weekend.

Here in Michigan we have no early voting, and if you go to the polls at the "wrong" time, whenever that ends up being, the lines can be L.O.N.G.  My husband has very flexible work hours, so he just takes a weirdly timed lunch and goes to vote mid-morning or mid-afternoon.  I troop over with all the kids around 9am (polls open at 7am) and normally we only have to wait 10-15 minutes...this year might be different.

Wendy

We only have absentee voting as a form of early voting, and you have to have some reason for early voting. So seeing as I'm in town, live a block away from the polling place and it won't be a huge line, I don't vote early.  There will be a bit of a line, but it's a chance to see some neighbors.  Plus, dh and I go and take the kids and have them fill out the ballot for us. That way they get to practice voting. 

• Like 1

Yes, my state has had early voting for years. I used to love going to the polls on election day but after the first time I voted early I realized how much easier it is. Some years I voted early and some years I voted on election day. Then when my state started allowing vote by mail even if you aren't absentee I didn't go for it at first. I started voting by mail a few years ago and now I love it. 

Mailed my ballot yesterday. I kept to my pledge to not discuss politics with dh or any family for the last year. It has been so nice I might keep that pledge for the rest of my life.

I mailed mine yesterday and ds asked me to drop his in the mail too. Dh mailed his earlier this week.

We only have absentee voting as a form of early voting, and you have to have some reason for early voting. So seeing as I'm in town, live a block away from the polling place and it won't be a huge line, I don't vote early.  There will be a bit of a line, but it's a chance to see some neighbors.  Plus, dh and I go and take the kids and have them fill out the ballot for us. That way they get to practice voting. 

We used to take ds with us when he was younger and I think that's what made him want to go to his polling location to vote once he became eligible. It didn't take him long to realize it's more convenient to vote by mail. He voted at his polling place 3 times (last Nov., March primary, August primary) then signed up for mail-in. In this, his first presidential election, he voted by mail.

We do have early voting, but I've never done it.  Our polling place is so close and convenient that I've never been motivated to drive to the registrar and vote early.  I guess I could vote by mail.  It's not as much fun, though -- no stickers, lol.

eta:  Also, the vote by mail ballots are typically counted last.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess this happens with early votes at the registrar, as well.  I'd much rather have my vote counted first, so voting at my polling place is my preference.

Edited by amsunshinetemp

Can I just say that I don't like the idea of early voting? I can understand a couple of days ahead (maybe having the polls open the Saturday before) but not WEEKS ahead. What if a candidate did something REALLY stupid right now? Or something came out about a candidate that makes it impossible for ANYONE sane to vote for them? You have already cast your ballot, you can't take it back. There is a reason why there is an election DAY. Not an election SEASON. 

I live in a state that barely marks it's poling stations. I have yet to even get my sample ballot. I will take my children as I have for the last 2 presidential elections and vote with them in tow. Then I will go home and have a party that it is all over now and we can all go back to being friends for the next 3 years till this country gets divided by the next presidential election.

• Like 2

our state does vote by mail.

eta: we already have our ballots.  for those who are slow to mail them, they can drop them off at a drop box.

while I'm not keen on early voting, at least these are real ballots - and not an electronic voting machine that has no paper trail.

Edited by gardenmom5

Can I just say that I don't like the idea of early voting? I can understand a couple of days ahead (maybe having the polls open the Saturday before) but not WEEKS ahead. What if a candidate did something REALLY stupid right now? Or something came out about a candidate that makes it impossible for ANYONE sane to vote for them? You have already cast your ballot, you can't take it back. There is a reason why there is an election DAY. Not an election SEASON.

Of course, a candidate could do something insanely stupid on Nov 9th as well. Though I agree that weeks of early voting seems excessive to me.

• Like 1

With as unreliable as the post office is - and as polar as elections can be - it would take a lot for me to trust a vote by mail system.  (Oops - forgot to get these there...)

I like having paper ballots that are backups for the machine we feed ours into at the polling place.  

If I had to vote by mail as some states require, I would want to drop mine off where it belonged (for supervised counting) in person.

• Like 1

Another thought about super early voting - what if the person dies between voting and election day?  Their vote still counts, but should it?

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I know even locally a 35 year old passed away in a car accident yesterday and occasionally one hears about elections (esp local) that come down to a vote or two - or even a coin toss.

I live in a state that barely marks it's poling stations. I have yet to even get my sample ballot. I will take my children as I have for the last 2 presidential elections and vote with them in tow. Then I will go home and have a party that it is all over now and we can all go back to being friends for the next 3 years till this country gets divided by the next presidential election.

I get what you're saying. But I live in Illinois and due to the population in Chicago our state's electoral votes are predictable. For me, voting early was a no brainer because I knew which way I wanted to vote in the state constitution amendment that's being proposed and also the city manager vs mayor for our town.  Those two will directly impact me and my vote on those really counts. 

I'm also guessing that lots of early voters are very party loyal and their vote will be the same today as it will be in November. 

• Like 1

Another thought about super early voting - what if the person dies between voting and election day? Their vote still counts, but should it?

I'm sure it doesn't happen often, but I know even locally a 35 year old passed away in a car accident yesterday and occasionally one hears about elections (esp local) that come down to a vote or two - or even a coin toss.

Sure, but I'm guessing a lot more eligible voters lose out on voting on Election Day because of something unfortunate yet not as extreme. Having the flu, getting in an accident, running late due to traffic, not being able to get out of work...those are hang ups that certainly affect many more people than actually dying in that window of time.

DH is voting early because he is having surgery a week before the election, and he's not taking any chances. What if he contracts an infection, or can't walk by then, or any number of things?

My state and area make it very, very easy to vote. I would think that ought to be the goal of every American, no matter what your party affiliation.

• Like 7

Of course, a candidate could do something insanely stupid on Nov 9th as well. Though I agree that weeks of early voting seems excessive to me.

Yes but at that point we are ALL fools not just the ones that voted early. 

I get that if you are REALLY loyal to your party that you would know what you were going to do, why not. However I would hope that there are lines that if your candidate did ______ (sadly all the examples I can think of have been alleged in this election short of a dual) that you would NEVER vote for them. That could happen in local as well as national elections. In fact I would think it would be more likely that early voting could be a huge problem with a more local election. 

Here is an example. A person who was running for state senate, was caught on tape taking exhorting money from someone with a gun. The video comes out 1 week prior to the election because the person didn't do it till 10 days before the election. Would you be upset if you voted for them in early voting? Just to be clear, I don't think this has happened before. It is just an example of something that could happen. 

Another example. A candidate runs over a pedestrian on the road while trying to make it to a campaign event. The driver of the car was the candidate (local race more then likely). There is a camera on the intersection showing the whole thing. Could you vote for that person? Would be upset if you voted for them in early voting and then they did this?

We do have early voting, but I've never done it.  Our polling place is so close and convenient that I've never been motivated to drive to the registrar and vote early.  I guess I could vote by mail.  It's not as much fun, though -- no stickers, lol.

eta:  Also, the vote by mail ballots are typically counted last.  I'm not sure, but I'd guess this happens with early votes at the registrar, as well.  I'd much rather have my vote counted first, so voting at my polling place is my preference.

Early voting here is on the same machines we use on the day of voting.  Early votes are counted at the same time as the election day votes.  Other states may do it differently.

Early voting actually seems to have reduced the number of late "October surprises."  So many people vote early that holding something huge back until the final week of October isn't a useful political tactic anymore.

Another thought about super early voting - what if the person dies between voting and election day?  Their vote still counts, but should it?

It's too late to change the ballots at this point anyway.  The deceased candidate would still be on there (as has happened in some places).  It would probably come down to whatever the rules are for whatever race.  Small town races probably would have a redo/special election with a new candidate since if one is dead but still got the majority of votes they obvious can't be the winner.  It's happened before: http://mentalfloss.com/article/26281/4-dead-politicians-who-still-got-elected

Early voting here is on the same machines we use on the day of voting. Early votes are counted at the same time as the election day votes. Other states may do it differently.

Early voting actually seems to have reduced the number of late "October surprises." So many people vote early that holding something huge back until the final week of October isn't a useful political tactic anymore.

It's too late to change the ballots at this point anyway. The deceased candidate would still be on there (as has happened in some places). It would probably come down to whatever the rules are for whatever race. Small town races probably would have a redo/special election with a new candidate since if one is dead but still got the majority of votes they obvious can't be the winner. It's happened before: http://mentalfloss.com/article/26281/4-dead-politicians-who-still-got-elected

I think creekland meant what if the person who did the voting died between voting and the Election Day. Should the dead person's vote still count?

• Like 1

We're hoping to next week, when they open additional early voting sites. Right now, in our county, you can only vote at the Board of Elections office at the county seat M-F during regular business hours (8:30-5). Yesterday, this meant traffic jams, lots of parking problems, and up to an hour and a half line, per the local paper.  I doubt the other small shops, restaurant, and businesses in that shopping center are thrilled about no real parking for their patrons until Nov. 5, as it's a small lot. I hope they get enough foot traffic to make up for it.

Starting the 27th, they will have three additional sites around the county, including at our local public library in our town, open 11-7 so there's a chance my husband will be able to make it after work (M-F, they will have Sat, Nov 5 from 8-noon or 1 depending on location). It does mean I will be avoiding the public libraries until after the election unless I'm trying to vote.

I think creekland meant what if the person who did the voting died between voting and the Election Day. Should the dead person's vote still count?

Yes, because it wasn't "a dead person's vote." It was a vote cast by a properly registered living voter who later died. As long as it was cast in accordance with the established times set according to the laws, their vote is legitimate. I see it as no different than a person who cast a ballot at 7 am on election day but died before final votes were tallied that evening. Technically, they were dead when the final votes were tallied and the decision made, but the vote was cast legitimately.

• Like 7

Yes but at that point we are ALL fools not just the ones that voted early. 

I get that if you are REALLY loyal to your party that you would know what you were going to do, why not. However I would hope that there are lines that if your candidate did ______ (sadly all the examples I can think of have been alleged in this election short of a dual) that you would NEVER vote for them. That could happen in local as well as national elections. In fact I would think it would be more likely that early voting could be a huge problem with a more local election. 

Here is an example. A person who was running for state senate, was caught on tape taking exhorting money from someone with a gun. The video comes out 1 week prior to the election because the person didn't do it till 10 days before the election. Would you be upset if you voted for them in early voting? Just to be clear, I don't think this has happened before. It is just an example of something that could happen. 

Another example. A candidate runs over a pedestrian on the road while trying to make it to a campaign event. The driver of the car was the candidate (local race more then likely). There is a camera on the intersection showing the whole thing. Could you vote for that person? Would be upset if you voted for them in early voting and then they did this?

I'd also be upset if it happened or came out at 10 am on election day and I had voted at 7 am. There's no way to avoid any possibility of this unless everyone in the country cast their vote at exactly the same time, which is not possible. 

• Like 2