Menu

Worried about math

I have a third grade 9 year old daughter who recently got diagnosed with Autism and sensory issues. My son is almost 7 and in first grade. My daughter is 1st grade maybe second grade level in math. We did Christian Light last year first grade level. I don't feel like she gets math. We are doing Math u see now and starting at the Beta level for my daughter and Primer for my son. I am concerned if I ever have to put them back in school they will be behind in math. I looked up the third grade classroom website at our local school and they are doing division and multiplication. I think the math u see will be good because they focus on one thing for a long time. My daughter cannot memorize flash cards to save her life! It's like everytime I show her a flashcard she can't get it right without counting. I guess I am just worried that if I ever put her back in school that she would be so behind she would be held back and she is already older in her grade level. I am not totally sold on Math U See either. I don't think it's that easy to teach because I'll watch the video and then forget immediately how to explain stuff as we are working through the pages. I like scripted teachers manuals. I liked CLE but the kids aren't thrilled about it. I am wondering if I could use the MUS blocks with CLE when they struggle? I am just worried all the way around because I have a lot of trouble explaining math even to a first grader.

When there is a math weakness I think it is good to practice substizing skills to being able to picture the numbers in your head. It is something that can take a lot of time to work out especially if it is something like dyscalculia. Some people like Ronit Bird which has iPad books or hard copy books. I am using a computer based program. My daughter is still on easy levels so I am not seeing a big grade level improvement yet but I am hoping she will get there eventually.

• Like 1

Didn't you say in your other thread that she had SLDs as well?  Reality is, if she goes back in the school you will need to get an IEP.  And if she has an IEP, they'll diagnose the SLDs and give her specialized instruction.  At that point the goal is to teach her what she's ready for, work consistently, etc.  My ds has SLDs and an IEP, and his goals are specific to him and just what they think will be realistic for the coming year.  They don't look at grade standards.  They look at him and what he's ready for and try to keep the goals moving forward.

I don't remember everything we discussed from your other thread, but I would encourage you to make choices that fit where she is now, that improve her understanding now, and not freak out over the grade level thing.  With autism, she's going to have issues generalizing.  So if she does the math in a curriculum and memorizes it but doesn't use the skills anywhere else, she's not going to be functional.  You want her to be able to do math in real life!  Real life is the real test, not curriculum.  So whatever you're working on, find ways to practice!  Will she play store?  Does she like to shop?  Will she do real life things with you?  Whatever you're working on, you need, need, need to practice it in real life.

This is one of my favorite places to look for stuff, and this lady's stuff is some of my favorite.  She has lots of things for free, and the rest is very inexpensive!  She has lots of math things, and it's all GREAT STUFF.  I get lots of ideas for my ds here.  My ds is gifted with autism and SLDs.  I don't look at it and go oh he's too smart for it or too whatever.  I just look to see if he can do those things or if it's catching holes he has.  LOVE her stuff.

Autism Classroom News-Christine Reeve Teaching Resources | Teachers Pay Teachers

Autism Classroom News-Christine Reeve Teaching Resources | Teachers Pay Teachers  This is her store narrowed down to math.

Next Dollar Up Task Cards: Money Skills [special Education]  This is an example of one of her math products I really like.  It's only $3, so you could just buy it, print it, and use it, sure.  It's great!  Or you could go ok, maybe I don't want all that, but the IDEA catches my eye like oh that's a really useful skill, that's something that would really make my ds think...  So then we play store with a cash register and play food or we talk money at the store, and we do that skill!  Kwim?  So do it her way or apply it in real life.  It's all good.

You could do whatever math curriculum you're thinking and pair it with 10-15 minutes of real life math or math stations.  Like don't be too perfectionist.  Little bits of effort add up.

Specific learning disability

If you put them in school and there's a problem, they can get an IEP which identifies something like a math disability. It could take time until the testing and the IEP is written and implemented.

The other option is to get testing done before they go into school, for your peace of mind. That way they may potentially get help faster and there's less of a chance they blame it on something like insufficient instruction.