Menu

A few ounces of whole milk for eleven-month-old?

AnnE-girl

DH and I are going out tonight for a work-related fundraiser. My pump has stopped working, so I was only able to hand express a few ounces of milk. Would it be ok to mix it with some whole milk to make a full bottle? He's had milk in stuff and eats cheese, so I know he's ok with dairy. It seems silly to buy formula for half a bottle when I'll be home to nurse him soon anyway. I know the official rule is to wait to introduce milk until 12 months, but would just a couple ounces be a big deal? He'll be eating regular solids for dinner while we're gone too. I can call the pediatrician, I just thought I'd ask the Hive opinion first.

I wouldn't worry about cows milk either way. One feeding with or without it is not a big deal in my book.

IIRC, postponing milk is just to ensure babies are getting full nutritional feedings, yes? One meal wouldn't bother me.

ETA, wouldn't bother me at this age.

Edited by carriede
  • Like 6

I would not. I would make sure he had enough liquids(a bottle of water.)  I would want to feed the minute I walked in the door!(especially if the pump wasn't working)

ETA:  I don't think it would be HARMFUL. I just don't think necessary.  And if I had left for any amount of time, I would be so full and uncomfortable.  I would worry the large breastmilk feeding would cause tummy troubles with a belly full of milk already.

Edited by rjand6more
  • Like 3

Absoulutely fine. A few weeks isn't going to make a whit of difference, especially since you know he's fine with dairy in general. 

This. It's not as if something magical happens on the 365th day. Though breast milk/formula is more filling than whole milk, afaik, so he might need a bit more solids. I'm not sure I'd mix it in though - I might keep them separate.

• Like 9

I have read that the worldwide recommended age for cow's milk is 9 mos.  I'm sure there are individual exceptions, but we in the US tend to be on the extreme careful side.

I switched my youngest from formula a bit "early" and if anything, her health improved.  (Breastfeeding was not an option for us.)

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is the plethora of ladies around the world and through history that get pregnant 7-8 months (or less) after their last baby, dry up by 10-11 months and don't have the luxury of switching to formula or wet nursing. Sometimes keeping the rest of the world in mind can help you feel better about breaking the rules. I honestly feel like the normal pattern is often just this and I'm convinced that God didn't screw up in his design. The deviations from the norm are symptoms of the fall that we need to intervene in. Even if you're under a evolutionary model this is still compelling.

That said, I got so sick of buy formula for my first that I ditched it entirely at 11 months with no problems. Dh is an MD and doesn't have a problem with this. Like others said, no one flicks a switch.

On anther note, you could take the opportunity to try to learn hand expressing. I've never been very successful though.

Edited by Rose M
  • Like 2

The rule about milk you're talking about is not about exposure per se, but about the fact that cow milk is not a nutritionally sufficient substitute for human milk.  

We have to tell people this because otherwise people stop feeding human milk or stop buying proper milk substitutes & instead sub straight cow milk. This leads to nutritional deficiencies as it's not a whole food for infants that age. One meal isn't a deal but if that's all the infant is getting, it very much is a concern. 

And as an aside, actually there's no need to introduce cow milk at all since human milk is all that's needed till weaning. Once weaned, you don't need to consume the milk of any species.

While I agree that if you're intending to introduce cow milk anyway, the difference of a few weeks will probably not matter, I just wanted to point out that there's nothing inevitable about this progression at all. 

• Like 9

The rule about milk you're talking about is not about exposure per se, but about the fact that cow milk is not a nutritionally sufficient substitute for human milk.

We have to tell people this because otherwise people stop feeding human milk or stop buying proper milk substitutes & instead sub straight cow milk. This leads to nutritional deficiencies as it's not a whole food for infants that age. One meal isn't a deal but if that's all the infant is getting, it very much is a concern.

And as an aside, actually there's no need to introduce cow milk at all since human milk is all that's needed till weaning. Once weaned, you don't need to consume the milk of any species.

While I agree that if you're intending to introduce cow milk anyway, the difference of a few weeks will probably not matter, I just wanted to point out that there's nothing inevitable about this progression at all.

Agreed! This is an 11 month old who is eating other foods too. We aren't talking about a 3 month old whose only nutrition comes from breastfeeding.

OP- enjoy your event tonight!

• Like 3

I would just have them eat solids and give them the little bit of breastmilk you expressed. That is what I did at that age if I had to leave my babies. If you gave him milk it would not be a big deal though since he tolerates it fine. I do not use milk as a substitute or something to switch to but if you drink milk it is fine to give him. I would not mix it though.

Hornblower is exactly right. The "no whole milk" rule is about making sure we don't start feeding our kids straight cow's milk when they should still be on breastmilk or formula. Milk is much cheaper than formula, so if you don't emphasize "NO!" then some people will switch to that to save a little cash.

• Like 3

Many little ones are done with weaning by that point anyway. Mine was on solid food at 3.5 months (omg he couldn't wait, which our pediatrician thought was hilarious) and fully weaned himself cold turkey at 11 months (maybe 10?). I wouldn't have thought twice about giving him milk at that age, especially once and if it means you get a night out! Enjoy it! :)

My 2nd child went on a nursing strike at 11 months and since I was planning on weaning him after his birthday, I took advantage of the strike. Ouch on my b00ks to wean "cold turkey" like that but he was fine on whole dairy milk (though mad about me not resuming nursing when he changed his mind 3 days later).

In case anyone wondered how everything went tonight, he didn't have any cow's milk after all. I decided to follow the advice to keep the milk separate, and told my mom to start with my milk, then give cows milk if needed. He ate dinner like a champ, including some cupcake since today is my mom's birthday, drank about two ounces of my expressed milk and some water, and fell asleep walking with my dad. He nursed a bit when we got home.

My feet are sore from dancing to a band made up of local attorneys and I got to sample local wines. It was a fun night.

• Like 12

I know the OP already updated, but I just felt compelled to reply.

for a single feeding?  I would just water down the breast milk a bit and plan on feeding him when you get home

You may have said this as a last resort thing to fill up a bottle, but it's not advised to water down breastmilk. You'd want the child to get the full benefits from it so I would also discourage combining it with anything else (cow milk, formula). I always offered breastmilk first, then the other item separately.

I remember hearing a scary story of a mom that frequently watered down breastmilk and the affects it had. I am sure you weren't talking long-term, but that story stuck with me.