Menu

Middle Ages to Renaissance historical fiction series?

Seasider

I'm looking for a series that is fairly historically accurate (albeit novelized/dramatized), something written for adults but not s@xually graphic.

Not Outlander. I saw something at the library the other day but silly me decided to wait and request it online. I waited and now I've forgotten the title.

Look at the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. A bit of sci-fi in that historians have found a way to actually travel back in time to observe, but lots of gripping details about daily life during Plague times. Lots of pages in the book--the story sags a bit in the middle, but picks up after that.

• Like 4

These have a few references to s*x/r*pe/forced marriage, but they're tasteful and not at all graphic.  I would be okay with my teen reading them.  They're very good, not really romance novels, although there are aspects that involve romance to some degree.  They're more general fiction, a little adventure, set in medieval times.  https://www.amazon.com/Afton-Margate-Castle-Knights-Chronicles/dp/0615884741/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477002128&sr=8-1&keywords=afton+of+margate+castle

These are set a little later, in Renaissance times, at least for the beginning books; they're not as good IMO as the Hunt ones but are okay.  https://www.amazon.com/Sword-Truth-Wakefield-Dynasty/dp/0842362282/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477002407&sr=8-2&keywords=gilbert+morris+wakefield+dynasty

• Like 2

I loved The Doomsday Book as well.

I also enjoyed The Serpent Garden by Judith Merkle Riley. There is one love scene, but it is not graphic or detailed. I *think* it's pretty accurate in terms of the way it portrays life in early 16th century England (and France) but you might want to know upfront that angels and demons are real in the story and interact with some of the main characters, so there is a fantastical element to it. I'm starting another book by the same author, but it's too soon for me to be able to tell you much.

I love that time period and can't wait to see all the answers you get!

• Like 1

Another vote for Cadfael (20+ book series set in mid-1100s England).  :)

And another vote for The Doomsday Book (single book, set in 1300s England / near future with time travel).

Other "one-offs" (not series): 

The Vanishing Point (Hawes) -- 16th century Italy -- YA, but a solid read

Red Hugh, Prince of Donegal (Reilly) -- 16th century England/Queen Elizabeth -- another YA; adventure yarn

The Sunne in Splendor (Penman) -- 15th century England, Richard III -- a WTMer recommendation that I haven't gotten to yet

I know you want people to help you narrow down the list, and these don't really have much in the way of reviews, but here are a couple of mega-lists to browse:

Historical Novels: Medival Europe

Historical Novels: Renaissance Europe and Tudor England

Good Books list of recommended Medieval and Renaissance.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Another vote for Cadfael, and a question for people who read the books more recently. I read them when I was 9-10yo. They weren't written with a tween audience in mind, but I don't remember there being anything in them that was wildly inappropriate (if there was, my mom probably would've talked to me after I snuck the first book from her reading stack when I was 9). Can someone corroborate that they're okay for 9-10yos? I mean, they obviously have a monk solving murders, so they're not G rated, but...?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I must start with Cadfael and The Doomsday Book. I will enjoy these suggestions. I don't recognize the title of the one I saw at the library, but these are better because you've read them and know they are actually good!

Maybe it was a Philippa Gregory book?  She's really popular.  I've only read one of her books myself, and it was okay, but not stellar.

I love these threads and I just put the first Cadfael ebook on hold. (Thanks!) I wanted to add Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell to the list. I've never cared for his portrayals of women, and his formula always includes women, but that book really, enjoyably helped me understand the context of that battle. He has other series set in historical times too, I think I read one about the advent of the long bow.

• Like 1

Another vote for Cadfael, and a question for people who read the books more recently. I read them when I was 9-10yo. They weren't written with a tween audience in mind, but I don't remember there being anything in them that was wildly inappropriate (if there was, my mom probably would've talked to me after I snuck the first book from her reading stack when I was 9). Can someone corroborate that they're okay for 9-10yos? I mean, they obviously have a monk solving murders, so they're not G rated, but...?

I don't remember *descriptions* of anything gory or "adult".  But a younger child might not get some of the adult motivations behind some of the murders (lust, adultery, etc.).  For some kids, that might be an emotional complexity they are not ready for.  But I think that might be true of most books written for an adult audience...

• Like 2

I don't remember *descriptions* of anything gory or "adult". But a younger child might not get some of the adult motivations behind some of the murders (lust, adultery, etc.). For some kids, that might be an emotional complexity they are not ready for. But I think that might be true of most books written for an adult audience...

I think this is true of a lot of great literature (thus the numerous "What age were your kids when you let them read Harry Potter?" threads). I am actually looking for reading material for myself, and prefer not to read oversensualized descriptions. However, dd is an avid reader and any that are appropriate for her level of understanding might make to her book stack.

Thanks again to everyone for the great number of recommendations!