Menu

Music major? Prepare in high school?

My dd has a love for music however we haven't really encouraged her to pursue music other than as a hobby. But as she approaches high school (she's in 8th), I am thinking I need a plan that incorporates music, if she wants to study it in college.

A little background may be helpful. She has played violin for over four years, piano over six years, and recently discovered her voice after winning a singing competition. She has been in a multi-age community orchestra for two years however is taking this year off. Her music teacher has a PhD in music, is a working musician (Opera), and has her in a theory class as well as lessons. Her teacher wants her to solo in piano and violin in two annual (small) concerts for the community.  These are low key performances, circle of teacher's friends and local artists.

My dd has up to this point been heavily interested in science, wanting to be a physician.  Lately, however, she is spending more time composing music and writing lyrics for songs she plays and sings. I am thinking music could mean something more for her in the upcoming years.  What advice would you give to me that would help prepare her for a college music program while she is in high school? Or an "and science plan"?

BTW she plans on going to a week long intensive summer music camp for middle/high school kids this summer at the college she intends to go to after high school.

Best to look at the music program at possible college choices. My son was very interested in a music degree, and in our "first kid off to college" ignorance, we didn't realize that he would have to audition for pretty much all of the music programs. He felt unprepared, and didn't end up auditioning, and changed his entire college plans. I just wish I had thought to look before his senior year.

• Like 2

It's great that her music teacher is providing performance opportunities for her.  Keep an eye out for more, and encourage her to volunteer her services to those who might appreciate hearing her sing/play - nursing homes, sporting events (if she can do justice to the national anthem), church services, etc.  The more she plays/sings, the more confident she'll be when she needs it later at audition time.  She definitely should work on becoming very good at sight reading, as that will likely be part of the audition process, whether for admission to the department or just for placement into the right ensemble/choir. 

• Like 2

It sounds like the music teacher has a major in voice but also teaches piano and violin? A Ph.D. in music could mean a lot of different things. Of course each situation is different, but if your dd is considering focusing on one particular instrument, it might be worth considering a teacher with a degree(s) in performance in that instrument, who is familiar with what is required for auditions for various colleges and conservatories.

• Like 2

The teacher is a classically trained violinist from Russian and is currently a member of our large city's opera orchestra however she has performed all over the world. She is an amazing woman with over forty years experience.  She was also the conductor for the community orchestra my dd was apart of.  My dd's favorite instrument is piano, voice than violin. Her teacher can prepare her well, I just don't want to talk to her about it yet because I don't know how serious my dd is at the moment. I appreciate everyone sharing their experiences with me, it helps me see what my dd could be getting herself into. Thank you.

Edited by Jewels