Menu

DH had a job interview. "We'll let you know either way" they said.

pinkmint

So DH had a job interview in August. I forget exactly what day but it was mid to late August. They said it would take them a while to choose a candidate. Late September they said, but oh they would let him know either way. How nice!  :mellow:

So here it is October 20. I was hoping to be able to update here and say that my DH got a manager position in his current company (that's what the interview was for), or at least have the closure to update y'all that they chose someone else. But they never got back to him and even ignored his inquiries. I guess it's within the realm of possibility that he still has a chance and they are just taking ridiculously long for a modest department manager position. 

I don't know why people bother to promise they will let you know either way and then never do but I'm letting myself move on at this point. It was going to be more money. Not a lot but it would put us closer to "normal" in income and maybe even take us out of the qualifying for food stamps category. 

So there's my update for now in the "Trying to improve our situation" saga. Homeschool expectations are less raging and despairing lately. Co-op one day a week is good for the kids and good for me getting to talk to other women out there in the shadows homeschooling too, Lol. 

The antidepressants are helping. I've also had a sort of perspective shift. I want to thank Margeth who's words about what it means to be poor have been a real encouragement. 

My Christian faith has helped too. Knowing that this life is not guaranteed to, or even meant to be easy and comfortable. And feeling actually glad that hardship, smashed dreams and discomforts give me a chance to be heroic in some small way. I will continue to try to get things to a better place. That's it for now. 

• Like 27

Some places do take insanely long. I know my wife's ex-boss complained a lot about how long HR would take (they'd usually take 3+ months). Now, he really *wanted* her hired, so he kept her updated and was a bit of a squeaky wheel with HR, but my point is that some companies really don't do a good job wrt hiring speed.

• Like 2

It's beyond frustrating. I applied to a job in August as well and 2 days ago (!) was invited for an interview. I have already accepted a different position. This is what I hate about job hunting. Grossly delayed reactions that hamstring you sometimes or at least leave you wondering if you made the best choice.

I have to say, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think it's good news. I feel so bad that you are going through this. IME, often a decision has been made and a candidate has accepted the position, and they are just waiting until all the stages of paperwork have been completed before they are willing to state that someone else did not get a job. It's awful and rude and I hate it because even if you know in your heart there's no way you could have gotten the job, there's still that "what if?" And there's a feeling of betrayal...hey, I went out of my way to interview, can't you at least keep me informed about the process? But I guess that's how it is these days. I have had experiences where I was informed within a week that I did not get a job, but those were few and far between. 

I don't mean to sound dramatic. I know DH could get another job or even this job. It's just that we've been in a holding pattern for years wanting for things to change and trying and watching as there appears to be a relentless invisible force holding us down and back. 

But I always try to think of what I'm supposed to be learning, even if I don't want to. I'd rather just have some dang money. But my frame of mind is changing and whether or not things get better for us in monetary ways, a frame of mind that knows what's important is more valuable than a certain standard of living. 

Edited by pinkmint
  • Like 6

I'm glad things are better with homeschooling. I know how tough it can be to be in a holding period.

DH interviewed for a job and the company said they were under a hiring freeze. They promised to call him once the freeze lifted. I thought, sure they will. Nine months later, they called and offered DH a job. So it can take awhile to hear back.

So DH had a job interview in August. I forget exactly what day but it was mid to late August. They said it would take them a while to choose a candidate. Late September they said, but oh they would let him know either way. How nice!  :mellow:

So here it is October 20. I was hoping to be able to update here and say that my DH got a manager position in his current company (that's what the interview was for), or at least have the closure to update y'all that they chose someone else. But they never got back to him and even ignored his inquiries. I guess it's within the realm of possibility that he still has a chance and they are just taking ridiculously long for a modest department manager position. 

I don't know why people bother to promise they will let you know either way and then never do but I'm letting myself move on at this point. It was going to be more money. Not a lot but it would put us closer to "normal" in income and maybe even take us out of the qualifying for food stamps category. 

So there's my update for now in the "Trying to improve our situation" saga. Homeschool expectations are less raging and despairing lately. Co-op one day a week is good for the kids and good for me getting to talk to other women out there in the shadows homeschooling too, Lol. 

The antidepressants are helping. I've also had a sort of perspective shift. I want to thank Margeth who's words about what it means to be poor have been a real encouragement. 

My Christian faith has helped too. Knowing that this life is not guaranteed to, or even meant to be easy and comfortable. And feeling actually glad that hardship, smashed dreams and discomforts give me a chance to be heroic in some small way. I will continue to try to get things to a better place. That's it for now. 

some people are cowards who think saying "we'll let you know" will let someone down easily.  sort of like people who are afraid to be blunt when ending a relationship.

that said, it's "possible" they haven't decided.  a lot would depend upon the level. there could be any number of other things going on - including they decided they really don't have the budget.

uncertainty is hard

• Like 2

We had a horrible job interview process that was almost 2 years of limbo. We would think we were at the end of it. "Yes. You are absolutely who we want to hire. The decision was unanimous. We are going to work through the weekend to get this locked up."

Then absolutely no contact for 3 weeks. We assumed they changed their minds. The only explainabtion was, "Oh, Suzy didn't call you. I thought she had."

I understand how unsettling it is.

I know that sometimes things change in the process of getting someone hired. My husband was told a couple of months ago to hire 10 people for his group. Last week he was told, "Nevermind. Don't hire anyone."

Yesterday, he pointed out the amount of lost revenue if he doesn't hire anyone. "Oh, you are right. Let's set up a meeting and hammer this out."

In reality he will end up hiring some number between 10 and 0, but who knows how long until he knows the real number.

In your situation, I'd see if your husband knows someone at the company who will nonchalantly ask someone in the know about the position and if it has been filled.

I don't blame you for not wanting to be in limbo any longer.

Since it's been more than two months and he already works there, I do think it might be a positive thing (shows initiative) for him to politely ask if they've made a decision. And if they have and didn't inform him, he gets the chance to be gracious and thank them (even though they were jerks for not informing him), which makes him look better for the future.