Menu

How do I make these ads go away?

1GirlTwinBoys

You are being tracked, with Cookies (and probably other things) in your web browser. Your browsing history, etc.  My wife commented about this, a day or 2 ago.  She eliminates various things in History, but that does not seem to eliminate this behavior.  2 weeks ago today, we made a purchase from ZenniOptical.com   So, before that, she had been looking at different frames, to select the frame she wanted for her new eyeglasses.  Now, she says when she is on Facebook, it has a lot of ads for ZenniOptical.com

I do not try to eliminate the history, because sometimes I see an ad that I am interested in. 

ETA: In the "Settings" for your web browser, there may be a setting to tell web sites that you do not want to be tracked. They may or may not comply with that, but you can try and that may reduce the number of ads you see.

Edited by Lanny

Follow on to my first reply: Some web sites, like WTM, place Affiliate ads for those who are not Paid web site members.  If a Paid member logs in, they do not see Ads.     My wife does all the things she knows to do, to hide her browsing history and remain private, but they are still showing ads for Zenni Optical to her on Facebook...

Correction: Our purchase from ZenniOptical.com was 13 days ago.  "Out for Delivery" this morning.  

To block ads on Facebook, download facebook purity and you can block ads as well as customize what you see.  No more trending or ads. You can widen the center posts, etc.

Yellow pages set up a new program that has ads that follow you where ever you go on the internet, bringing up items you've browsed or searched in the past.  

Go to your browser settings, whether using adblock plus or google, find the block for 'allow some unobtrusive ads' and turn it off which should eliminate ads following you.  When my yp rep told me about it and what a wonderful idea it'd be for our business, she was surprised at my adamant no!  But, but, but...we paid millions of dollars for this program.  :thumbdown:  

In addition to adblockers & facebook purity, I run the Click & Clean browser extension. You can personalize how much it keeps but you can also set it to dump all trackable info so every search is 'clean' - ie. not biased towards your interests/views based on previous browsing history. It's available for firefox & chrome. 

(also stay signed out of google & apple when you search - otherwise again you'll get 'tailored' results leading to confirmation bias...)