Menu

Authors you used to like - but lost their touch

Liz CA

I used to read Patricia Cornwell but her books became increasingly violent and the protagonist moody and weird IMHO.

I like the earlier Dee Henderson books but the more recent ones have me scratch my head a little since they seem just a little out there.

Many years ago, I used to read Mary Higgins Clark but later books feel like they've been written by someone else.

I've read most of Agatha Christie's book and she is one of the few who seems consistent. Ditto for Jane Austen.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

Patricia Cornwell for me too. A long, long time ago Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series I need to stop. It's like my guilty reading pleasure but the last ones are just, well not even funny lately. But I can't seem to stop. John Grisham, Tom Clancy I phased out of too a while back. I'm embarrassed to admit I used to read James Patterson.

I think Daniel Silva is one I have liked for a long time and still love. He's very consistent and the books have gotten better with time for me. Nelson DeMille can be hit or miss but I still buy his books when they come out.

My reading habits have changed more since I hang out here so much. You Great Books people and all of your bad influences.......:) 

Agree with Mary Higgins Clark.  I liked her old books, but about 10-15 years ago her books went from having hints of paranormal stuff to being saturated with it - went from being an occasional extra to front-and-center - and with too much of an "it's really-real vibe" for me to have interest in reading them.

I liked Lori Wick (a Christian romance author) in my teens, but between me changing and her changing, I didn't appreciate her newer stuff.  IDK if her beliefs changed or she just started to get more intentional about including them, but she started putting explicit theological discussions into her later books.  While I actually am all about hard-core theology, and completely agree with authors putting their theology heavily into their work, the deeper/more-detailed theological discussions just showed me how I really don't agree with her take on Christianity.  I'd always known that, but it highlighted how our respective positions were increasingly diverging, and eventually I couldn't take it any more.  (Also her later books didn't have the "magic" of some of her earlier books - idk if that's because of her theological change, or was incidental to the change, but it didn't provide much of a reason for me to put up with the constant awareness that her work was saturated with theology I disagreed with.  I haven't re-read her books in years - I'm not sure I would still appreciate her earlier stuff anymore, I've changed so much.)

ETA:  I binge read the Kay Scarpetta series in college and I burnt out on it and never finished the ones out at the time, let alone seek out new ones.  IDK if the later books really did get darker or the cumulative darkness and unhappiness just became too much.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 2

Well, I used to really enjoy Charles De Lint, and I lost interest somewhat along the way.  When I was looking at editing my bookshelf a while ago I reread some, and I just didn't find them as good.

They are in what is now called the urban fantasy genre, which combines fantasy elements with realistic urban and modern day life.  The forst one I had read was set in Ottawa and I found it really magical.

I think there were two things that became a problem for me - one was a cange he made, and the other was about me as a reader.  He switched from setting his novels in real places to a made up city.  To me this ultimatly really undermined the idea of fantasy in a realistic setting - the imaginary city was just a bit too fantastic or contrived - it never seemed quite real, so the contrast between the elements and the sense of reality of the fantasy elements was compromised.  It especially bothered me that while I could really identify a sense of place - a Canadian city, a village in Cornwall - in the earlier stories, in the later ones I could never really decide if the places were meant to be American or Canadian - it seemed like a mish-mash of both.

The other thing is, he often had important elements or people in the stories that were meant to be very tough or urban, or from some sub-culture.  I found as I became older that the writing around those elements became less believable to me. I found people's reactions to be a little stereotyped as well.

I suppose a third thing is the genre, which De Lint in some ways created, became somewhat popular and other authors used it, and some of them seemed much more believable in their settings.

• Like 3

George RR Martin.

The first two Game of Thrones books were fabulous.  I really enjoyed his style of writing, and I especially loved the way he completely twists a story by killing off those you have grown to love in an unexpected way.  Then they started getting filler and new storylines that weren't really important to the ongoing sagas.  THEN he comes up with this brilliant idea that instead of doing one or two sequential books, he's going to take the same time period and divide them between two books.  So really, no advancement of plot, we just spent an entire (lengthy) novel learning what the other side of the world was doing.  It was incredibly frustrating!

As if that wasn't enough, then while we're all impatiently waiting for the next book in the series (which gets further and further delayed) he publishes the first of three prequels!  *$#&%!  Yeah, no.  I'm not reading the next one. 

Oooh, I'm reminded that I also used to love Dean Koontz.  Loved, loved, loved.  Then he published Mr. Murder, and it just...missed the mark for me.   It was missing something and after I read that one, I've never gone back and read anymore Koontz. 

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 3

After a certain point in Dick Francis's writing, his books became like that for me.

Erica in OR

Yeah, I noticed about the time his son's name started appearing on them with his that there was a definite change in the vulgar language and an increase in sexual references.  Neither of which was an improvement of any kind.  I won't read any of his books that include his son anymore.

• Like 2

I agree with Patricia Cornwall. I love Dr. Kay Scarpetta but through the years the author turned her into a pale shadow of herself.

Mary Higgins Clark also lost me.

The only John Grisham book I really enjoyed was A time to kill.

To be honest, I think what happens is after reading so many books by the same author you easily spot their pattern and the book loses it's luster.

• Like 4

I used to read Patricia Cornwell but her books became increasingly violent and the protagonist moody and weird IMHO.

I like the earlier Dee Henderson books but the more recent ones have me scratch my head a little since they seem just a little out there.

Many years ago, I used to read Mary Higgins Clark but later books feel like they've been written by someone else.

I've read most of Agatha Christie's book and she is one of the few who seems consistent. Ditto for Jane Austen.

Karen Kingsbury

I am sorry to hear that about Dee Henderson as I've loved her stuff I've been reading lately.

• Like 2

I liked early Patterson.  My husband and I disagree on whether he went downhill before or after he got minions in the basement to do his writing for him.  

Tom Clancy took a nosedive when he got a divorce.  

Daniel Steele wrote one good book.   Which one is that?, you are probably thinking.  The answer is any of them.  They are all the same book.  

The audio book narrator for Patricia Cornwall killed her books for me.  She pronounced every 'k' as its own syllable.  So, even when I read the print book, I'd hear that hard, lone k in my head.  

• Like 8

I also liked the Cat Who series (can't remember the author's name at the moment) but they definitely went down over time.

Lillian Jackson Braun and yes.  My favorites are the middle ones.  I think I have read that the last three or four were written by ghost writers. 

• Like 3

Patricia Cornwell for me too. A long, long time ago Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series I need to stop. It's like my guilty reading pleasure but the last ones are just, well not even funny lately. But I can't seem to stop. John Grisham, Tom Clancy I phased out of too a while back. I'm embarrassed to admit I used to read James Patterson.

I think Daniel Silva is one I have liked for a long time and still love. He's very consistent and the books have gotten better with time for me. Nelson DeMille can be hit or miss but I still buy his books when they come out.

My reading habits have changed more since I hang out here so much. You Great Books people and all of your bad influences....... :)

This brings up an interesting point. Reading habits change...maybe I have changed more than the authors??? :)

• Like 2

John Irving

Anne Tyer
Nick Hornby

Stephen King--- I'm not into what he's doing, but, I feel a little weird saying "I only love the books he wrote when he was a raging alcoholic".

Series almost inevitably disappoint long time fans.  I can't think of many that don't get formulaic or bogged down (aside from the obvious like LOTR and Harry Potter). I think maybe the Jack Reacher books are still pretty consistent. But haven't read them all.

Edited by poppy
  • Like 3

My reading habits have changed more since I hang out here so much. You Great Books people and all of your bad influences....... :)

I am not worried about reading some mind candy. I am reading enough textbooks and scholarly articles in my work. At night, I like to retreat a little into something suspenseful but uplifting. I think I don't care so much for the hard reality books because I see hard reality every day. My night time reading is my happy place.  :)

• Like 2

Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club for those who don't know him. His books have always been pretty vulgar and a bit odd which I like. But at a certain point I read like 3 in a row and the stories just weren't interesting or too predictable. So I'vr given up on him. Sadly, some people haven't figured that out so I still get his new books as gifts. Luckily, my brother still likes him so I always have a free gift for his bday.

• Like 2

Stephen King definitely lost his mojo on me. I thought the same of John Grisham, but I admit that his latest (or maybe the ones in the middle that I finally got around to) were enjoyable. Or maybe in a rough year I've been okay with lighter literature. I recently enjoyed both his Calico Joe and Sycamore Row (the second a follow up to A Time to Kill).

But the truth is, I get a little sloggy with even good literature I'd indont mix it up. I mean, I could read straight through LOTR because as a story it doesn't resolve until the very end, but I could only enjoy 3 Anne of Green Gables books in a row (though all are delightful).

• Like 3

After a certain point in Dick Francis's writing, his books became like that for me.

Erica in OR

:iagree:  and I also think it was due to his son's influence.  A couple of years ago I read one his son had written alone (since DF had passed away) and it wasn't nearly the same caliber as dad.  I read it on vacation and left it at the place we were staying (on purpose).  I also told my mom not to buy me any more for Christmas.

Interesting that this thread came up now as I just sent my whole collection of his books to a local store to be sold on consignment.  I had over 40 of them.  I was quite the fan in my youth.  My mom knew it was a reliable gift each year.  :coolgleamA:

My whole herd of model horses is getting sold off too - a phase in my life that was fun, but I don't see going back to it.

• Like 4

George RR Martin.

The first two Game of Thrones books were fabulous.  I really enjoyed his style of writing, and I especially loved the way he completely twists a story by killing off those you have grown to love in an unexpected way.  Then they started getting filler and new storylines that weren't really important to the ongoing sagas.  THEN he comes up with this brilliant idea that instead of doing one or two sequential books, he's going to take the same time period and divide them between two books.  So really, no advancement of plot, we just spent an entire (lengthy) novel learning what the other side of the world was doing.  It was incredibly frustrating!

As if that wasn't enough, then while we're all impatiently waiting for the next book in the series (which gets further and further delayed) he publishes the first of three prequels!  *$#&%!  Yeah, no.  I'm not reading the next one. 

I read the first four books a billion years ago, before the 5th was written.  That's because I'd heard, "It was a triology that ended up being 4 books long."  Only it wasn't.  It was a trilogy that will eventually be seven books long.

And he took about 7 years or so to write the 5th book.  The man's getting older!  It it takes him 7 years to write each book, it will be 21 years between book 4 and book 7!  What if he dies of old age before he finishes the story!?!

I decided to stop reading any of the Game of Thrones books until they're all done.  And by now, I've forgotten everything in them, so in 2082 when the last book finally comes out, I'll re-read the whole series all at once.

• Like 7

But the truth is, I get a little sloggy with even good literature I'd indont mix it up. I mean, I could read straight through LOTR because as a story it doesn't resolve until the very end, but I could only enjoy 3 Anne of Green Gables books in a row (though all are delightful).

I have to do that, too--not read the same author too many books in a row.  I need to take a break from them or I get tired of the style.  

• Like 1

I read the first four books a billion years ago, before the 5th was written.  That's because I'd heard, "It was a triology that ended up being 4 books long."  Only it wasn't.  It was a trilogy that will eventually be seven books long.

And he took about 7 years or so to write the 5th book.  The man's getting older!  It it takes him 7 years to write each book, it will be 21 years between book 4 and book 7!  What if he dies of old age before he finishes the story!?!

I decided to stop reading any of the Game of Thrones books until they're all done.  And by now, I've forgotten everything in them, so in 2082 when the last book finally comes out, I'll re-read the whole series all at once.

I heard the same thing about Robert Jordan -- people who stopped reading the series until it was complete.

• Like 2

I read on Agatha Christe that seemed to make no sense at all. I thought I was being exceptionally dumb so I googled and it turned out no one else could work it out either. It was one of the last or maybe the last novel she wrote and maybe some dementia was setting in or something?

• Like 1

I don't think I've ever read a trade genre series author - mystery, fantasy, etc. - who managed to stay quality after the first flush of success. There may be some, but I think they're the exception. I think it's something about the way genre authors are edited and represented and sold.

In terms of more literary authors...

John Irving

Anne Tyer
Nick Hornby

Yes, yes. Especially Nick Hornby. And I'll add Zadie Smith. And...  I might shed tears to say it, but to some extent Michael Chabon who is still writing interesting stuff, but it's not as good as it used to be...

• Like 2

I read on Agatha Christe that seemed to make no sense at all. I thought I was being exceptionally dumb so I googled and it turned out no one else could work it out either. It was one of the last or maybe the last novel she wrote and maybe some dementia was setting in or something?

I think her older works definitely suffer and you could tell she was feeling her age. I think the plots are less clever and her character seem to just go around complaining about those young kids with long hair and how they can't get any good help anymore.

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 1

Robin McKinley.  Sunshine (2003) and Pegasus (2010) were pretty awful.  I miss her old magic...

I loved Pegasus, but I agree with you about Sunshine - eta, no the following rant is about Shadows.  It was worth reading once, but not re-reading, and it felt oddly incomplete.  She hinted at uncovering a relationship between science and magic, and how the attempts to use science to solve a magical problem were actually making things worse, but then never went further with it - just kind of dropped it and it played no role in the resolution - the whole science/magic conflict/relationship was just left hanging, like she hadn't been dropping hints about it for the first two-thirds of the book.  (I'm interested in attempts to reconcile science and the supernatural, so I was intrigued at where she was going to go with it, and was disappointed that the answer was nowhere.  Dragonhaven was another book where she was integrating science and magic, and it fell flat for me, too - didn't even finish it.)

ETA:  Realized I'd smooshed Sunshine and Shadows together.  Sunshine was the vampire book (which was mostly meh, although worth reading once), Shadows was a different urbanish fantasy setting.  I spent the past 10 minutes trying to tease them apart in my head, and as I'm failing, I'm realizing that they are kind of similar, actually.

Edited by forty-two
  • Like 2

I don't think I've ever read a trade genre series author - mystery, fantasy, etc. - who managed to stay quality after the first flush of success. There may be some, but I think they're the exception. I think it's something about the way genre authors are edited and represented and sold.

Yes, yes. Especially Nick Hornby. And I'll add Zadie Smith. And... I might shed tears to say it, but to some extent Michael Chabon who is still writing interesting stuff, but it's not as good as it used to be...

I agree with some of your list and want to add another one but am kind of afraid. Establishment and all that.

I sometimes wonder whether it's my tastes that are bizarre or whether there's an Emperor/clothes situation. ETA that this is not so much that they changed but I wonder what everybody else is seeing there that I'm not.

I also feel, some authors find (rightful, deserved) fame and then publishers scramble together every scribbling they ever put down into a book. I adored both Hilary Mantel Cromwell novels but what was up with the short story collection. Same with Italian author Elena Ferrante. This just got worse and worse and ironically, the books of her I like the least are the ones most consumed in the US.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

:iagree: and I also think it was due to his son's influence. A couple of years ago I read one his son had written alone (since DF had passed away) and it wasn't nearly the same caliber as dad. I read it on vacation and left it at the place we were staying (on purpose). I also told my mom not to buy me any more for Christmas.

Interesting that this thread came up now as I just sent my whole collection of his books to a local store to be sold on consignment. I had over 40 of them. I was quite the fan in my youth. My mom knew it was a reliable gift each year. :coolgleamA:

My whole herd of model horses is getting sold off too - a phase in my life that was fun, but I don't see going back to it.

Nooooooo not the model horses!!! You can't get rid of those!

I really used to enjoy Faye Kellerman's books. But at some point the writing just got bad. It became really clunky with long-winded descriptions. I keep reading them, of course, but it's now an overnight loan from the library type of read. Actually the last one wasn't too bad.

I wonder though if it's her writing getting worse or my taste improving?

• Like 3

Yes, yes. Especially Nick Hornby. And I'll add Zadie Smith. And...  I might shed tears to say it, but to some extent Michael Chabon who is still writing interesting stuff, but it's not as good as it used to be...

How do you differentiate trade and literary though.  In some cases it's obvious, but sometimes they seem to cross over.  Ursula LeGuin might be considered genre fiction, but I think her quality and originality are pretty high throughout her career.

But I do think you are right about editing and selling - it's like after the first few books the quality goes down - the books are both more bloated and formulaic.  Recently though I've felt similarly about some literary authors - it seems like they are almost a kind of genre literature of their own and have similar problems.

• Like 2

At some point in reading Patricia Cornwall's books, it struck me that she became paranoid herself. I get the feeling she thinks she is writing a consistent character in Kay, but her own issues make that impossible. I think Kay became more depressed, paranoid, and emotionally isolated because the author did. I tried to google some info to see if my hunch was correct, but only found a bit. I still read the books, but partly as a glimpse into a paranoid mind, and I seriously doubt Cornwall means for that to happen. Kay is so emotionally cold too, even though Cornwall tries so hard to make her seem likable. Again, I have to wonder how much of that is Cornwall's own issues.

• Like 1

How do you differentiate trade and literary though.  In some cases it's obvious, but sometimes they seem to cross over.  Ursula LeGuin might be considered genre fiction, but I think her quality and originality are pretty high throughout her career.

But I do think you are right about editing and selling - it's like after the first few books the quality goes down - the books are both more bloated and formulaic.  Recently though I've felt similarly about some literary authors - it seems like they are almost a kind of genre literature of their own and have similar problems.

I agree that it's hard to say exactly... but most of the authors and series being named at the start of the thread were all ones I'd consider genre fiction as opposed to literary fiction. I used to read piles and piles of fantasy novels and occasionally I'd dip into mysteries or romances... and with the series that went on and on, it always felt like the authors just stopped being edited really after the fourth or fifth book beyond having their typos checked. And yet they weren't writing anything else. Or, if they were, it was another series that had a similar issue (but often started weaker). Obviously, sometimes more literary series also go on too long and decline in quality, but it does seem like the business model of genre publishing imprints is to push authors to stick with a hit and quality doesn't especially matter after the initial success/acceptance. It's like watching the final seasons of Lost or something with these series. I wonder sometimes what they would be like if the industry was different and encouraged shorter run series and nurtured talent.

I agree that Ursula LeGuin would be a great example of an exception.

But even genre authors that achieve some amazing success don't seem totally immune. Like, I agree with the George RR Martin suggestion above. And I'd chip in (don't hate, haters) Diana Gabaldon as another.

• Like 1

J.K. Rowling

I think the Harry Potter story, as a series, is fantastic, but Deathly Hallows and Order of the Phoenix were too long. I might include the Half Blood Prince, but that's nearly blasphemous with the plot involving Dumbledore and Snape. Tighter focus and better editing would have improved these books and ultimately the series. I think Rowling was under immense pressure to finish.

• Like 6

And I'd chip in (don't hate, haters) Diana Gabaldon as another.

She was the first one that came to mind when I read the OP. I enjoyed it up until ... book 6, I think it was. Just couldn't get into it--didn't read. Then there was a book 7--also didn't read--and I'd learned that wasn't the end of the series and I was all "Just kill them off already!" lol.

• Like 1

Nooooooo not the model horses!!! You can't get rid of those!

Life changes.  Phases end.  I spent hours (literally) with them in my youth, but the past couple of decades?  Hardly any time at all.  It's time for them to move on where they can feel loved.  Some already have.  My real ponies might be going too.  Time will tell.

I think her older works definitely suffer and you could tell she was feeling her age. I think the plots are less clever and her character seem to just go around complaining about those young kids with long hair and how they can't get any good help anymore.

Yes, dementia was settling in. She knew it, too. They say it settled in when she wrote, "Elephants Never Forget" and they think she wrote that title realizing she was forgetting things.

They've studied her writing and the sentence structures are more complex and the vocabulary more robust in most of her work, compared against the last few novels. She was losing her touch--losing her mind. Poor thing.

• Like 2

I heard the same thing about Robert Jordan -- people who stopped reading the series until it was complete.

I can see why...weren't there something like 20 books in the series? I wouldn't want to invest all that time into something and never know how it ends.

I read a series that was supposed to be a trilogy, but for various reasons the author never wrote the 3rd book. What a letdown. I read the first book when I got married at age 19 and just adored it. I'm 43 now and still a little stung that I'll never know how it ended.

When I go to the library and see a book that looks good, but turns out to be "first book of the blah-blah series" I won't bother reading it until I know the entire series has been written.

• Like 2