Menu

Learning Disabilities with son

Agreeing with the others that you really want proper evals at this point.  You need to know what SLDs are going on, get the paper trail, get services.  A longer psych eval like the ones done by a neuropsych will usually include language testing.  He may need some work on vocabulary or other aspects of language, and he may have SLDs in math or writing, ADHD, etc. going on.  Has he had a CTOPP by anyone yet?  The CTOPP that the psych does will give you quite a bit of information on, not only phonological processing, but working memory, RAN/RAS, etc.  Once you get those numbers, you'll know if you need to work on RAN/RAS as well.

Hopefully the psych will be able to refer you to a qualified OG instructor.  They're very pricy, but it would be a way to jump start his progress if you don't feel comfortable doing Barton.  Barton is wonderful.  You can also get a Wilson tutor.  Some Scottish Rite locations have free reading tutors.  There are dyslexia schools.  At this point it's really time to get it figured out and get dyslexia-specific intervention.

I don't know that I would jump into the extensive eval route unless you have other concerns. I would recommend two things:

First, I would recommend that you see if there was an opthamologist who does vision therapy and is COVD in your http://www.covd.org/?

If you find one, have them do regular annual eye exam on your son with a quick screen to see if any problems with the two eyes working together . I think it is important to rule out the physical. This visit is often covered by insurance .

The second thing I would recommend is Barton's Reading and Spelling mentioned above. It is an Orto-Gillingham method and that type of reading instruction is helpful for many people that struggle with reading. Here is the student screening. Check out the other videos and information to see if it sounds like your son. The levels are expensive, but you can pretty easily resale them on Amazon for 50-75$ less than you pay. Many of us have tried many other programs and for some(not all) this was the only thing that worked. Also, you don't have to wait to start the Barton's program if you both pass the screening tests.

In my opinion ( sorry, have trouble with acronyms ), you can always pursue the eval route later if this doesn't solve the problem or you want a paper trail down the road.

https://bartonreading.com/videos/#ss

Edited by Silver Brook
  • Like 1