Menu

Flu shot poll

creekland

Hive Flu Shot stats  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get your flu shot for this year?

• Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 18-49 age range)
    • Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 50-64 age range)
    • Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 65+ age range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (18-49 range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (50-64 range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (65+ range)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (18-49)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (50-64)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (65+)
    • No - don't see the need - please vote this option below with ranges - I goofed earlier!
    • No - can't afford it
    • No - significant known health issues from vaccines (or at least this one)
    • Other - is there any other option? If so, let me know and I'll modify the poll.
    • No - don't see the need (18-49)
    • No - don't see the need (50-64)
    • No - don't see the need (65+)
    • No - I'm afraid to
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Have your kids (ages 6 months to 17 years) gotten their flu shots?

• Yes - all of them
    • Some of them, others have health issues
    • Some of them, others choose not to get it
    • No, but all will soon
    • No, but some will soon
    • No - don't see the need
    • No - significant health issues known (or expected based upon some previous event)
    • No - couldn't afford it
    • We have no children between 6 months and 17 years here.
    • Other - again - is there something I'm missing?
  3. 3. Did your adult kids opt for the flu shot?

• Yes, all of them
    • Some did, some didn't
    • Some did, I'm not sure about others
    • Some didn't, I'm not sure about others
    • Not yet, but all will soon
    • Not yet, but some will soon
    • No - saw no need
    • No - significant health issues known
    • No - couldn't afford it
    • I'm not sure.
    • There are no adult kids in my family
    • Other - let me know if I missed something

I almost died from flu and have permanent lung damage, so now our family gets the flu shot every year.

Yeah, along these lines....

I don't get it every year (mostly lazy and in part wondered if it was worthwhile).  What convinced me fairly recently is that there is evidence that if a person gets the flu that even if they fully recover it leaves lasting damage.  And there is some link with that and heart problems later on down the road.  I'm doing a lousy and overly simplistic job of explaining this, but that was the gist.  That reasoning is very compelling to me.

• Like 2

We don't routinely get the shots. I have read research that routinely getting the shots can reduce the development of T-cells that may prove beneficial in a flu pandemic for which an effective vaccine cannot be produced.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754263

Also, getting the shot annually may actually decrease your overall immunity over time.

https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/11/flu-shots-reduce-effectiveness/

My kids have both had the flu a couple times. My last flu shot was 16 years ago. I haven't had the flu as an adult. I had it several times as a child.

I got it the other day because I'm required to for school but frankly I'm a bit concerned about the efficacy of this year's formulation. Normally when I get the flu shot, I experience mild flu-like symptoms about 12 to 24 hours later. Headache, low-grade fever, etc. This year, nothing. Whatever it is about the shot that normally triggers my immune system reaction didn't.

I won't be at all surprised if I come down with the flu this winter/spring despite having received the vaccine. I don't think that this year's formulation actually did anything to prep my immune system for fighting off the virus.

The stomach flu isn't the virus you are getting vaccinated for. The "real flu" is high fever, aches, respiratory issues. I had it and had a 103 degree fever for days, was laid up for 10 days and ended the whole thing with a sinus infection and bronchitis.

Yes, I do understand that. But when I've had the flu in previous winters, it always involved a stomach component. I was just explaining that any stomach thing messes me up, flu or stomach virus.

Well, I answered other, even with all those options! I need a "No - I'm afraid to" option, I guess. I have only had it once in my life and it is horrible. I think the headache was the worst, but the hallucinations from fever would be a close second.

Now that I will turn 60 this year, I'm thinking that it is time to consider it too much of a risk to get that sick. But then I hear someone say that the shot made them sick for days, or there are always those who say that it is really bad for you for some reason or other. So I hesitate.

I just added that option.  If you want to revote, just delete your current vote, then vote again.  ;)

Ds has the flu right now. Just got confirmed yesterday at dr's office.

:grouphug:   I hope he's over it soon and doesn't share with the rest of the family.

Also, I had to vote on the middle question even though there was nothing I could really vote on. I don't know if you can manage the poll such that people can *not* vote in one of the sections...

There's an option for no kids in that age range.  It's what I had to use myself.  My boys done growed up on us.  (sigh)

• Like 1

I just added that option.  If you want to revote, just delete your current vote, then vote again.   ;)

:grouphug:   I hope he's over it soon and doesn't share with the rest of the family.

There's an option for no kids in that age range.  It's what I had to use myself.  My boys done growed up on us.  (sigh)

Thanks. My family is driving me nuts. The toddler has already managed to drink from ds' glass (I told the dr that and they didn't even seem concerned). I've tried sending and keeping ds in his room, but it's hard to set up the nebulizer in his room based on safe outlets and such plus dh stayed up with him in the living room where he could sit in his recliner nearby. I drank some diluted Grapefruit Seed Extract and bought half the medicine aisle so we're fully stocked again. Half our meds were expired. The school has his absences incorrect in his favor so maybe missing all these days won't make as big of an impact on his overall missed days allowed. I didn't realize how much flu affected the respiratory system so I'm thankful we have the nebulizer.

My DH has a chronic illness that would make it very difficult if he got the flu, so we all get the shot to protect him.

Same here, except it's me with the chronic illness.  Dh sometimes gets the flu shot and other times not.  I won't make him get the flu shot, but if I get sick there's an awful lot of work that falls in his lap.

Same here. Dh and I both had the flu in 1994. I have never been so sick. Have had a flu shot every year since and haven't had it again. My best friend almost died from flu complications and has permanent lung damage from it. She was 24 years old and otherwise healthy when she got the flu. For us, the flu risk outweighs the vaccine risk.

was that a particularly nasty strain that year?   that was the year mom-gut !demanded! I get a flu shot.  (never had one before) I came up with reasons why I couldn't.  mom-gut hijacked me and I got the shot.  I had a compromised immune system.  two months later, I was nearly as sick as I'd ever been previously with the flu.  I'm positive I would have required hospitalization if I hadn't had the shot.   I had it a 2nd time that season too, but it was pretty mild.

last year, 2dd tried to get me to come to her pharmacy so she could give me the shot. now, she lives in texas.

As far as I know they aren't available in this area yet, so I didn't vote. And last year they were telling people not to get it too early, to wait until late November or December.

Anyway, I have no problem getting one beyond convenience.  I can easily get one for myself and ds2, but it's difficult to get one for ds1. He's in school all day and our doctor's office doesn't make 'nurse only appointments' after 3pm.  Ummm... he gets out of school at 3:35.  Because he goes to a public high school he's really the one I want to get the shot, but so far, it's been impossible to schedule it for him. 

I might try to schedule one for the day before Thanksgiving. School is out but the Dr office is open. 

• Like 1

I guess my other would be, "No, undecided." I"m not quite sure what it will take for me to decide to get one or not.

I added undecided (which automatically implies not yet).  I totally forgot that option, so thanks!

If you want to change your vote, simply delete the one you made, then vote again.  (This goes for anyone, of course.)

I voted other because I didn't feel like my answer fit "I don't see a need."  To me "I don't see a need" meant that I didn't care if we get the flu, or that I believe I don't need to worry about getting the flu.

For me, we don't get it because I don't like that they change it every year and that the effectiveness varies from year to year.  I am generally pretty pro vaccines, but I just don't like those two facts about this one. 

Well, as I mentioned before, I can't put down all the reasons for why someone wouldn't see a need to get the shot - there are several as can be seen on this thread with folks who share their reasons in posts.  I still see your decision as falling under that main category the way the poll was designed.

Yes, I do understand that. But when I've had the flu in previous winters, it always involved a stomach component. I was just explaining that any stomach thing messes me up, flu or stomach virus.

Really? I had never heard of that before. I apologize. I've just hear so many people get the flu shot and think they're not going to get the 2-3 day stomach virus that gets passed around from time to time! Lol.
  • Like 1

Did mine a couple weeks ago. I was there as soon as they got their inventory & had mine the first week of Oct. I'm having surgery soon & wanted to be sure to have it take effect before entering the hospital. 

dh is done. Adult kids are going to get it done too - prob this weekend if they're organized. 

My birthday was the official flu shot day when I was in the Army. For 6 years, I was required to get that shot, and every year I got sick from the shot. Not sure if the vax stresses my immune system so much that I end up picking up other things floating around that I'd normally fight off. Haven't had the flu shot since I got out of the military in 1998, and haven't had the flu.

My oldest had a severe reaction to the H1N1 (hives), so his pediatrician suggested no more flu shots for him. Since I seem to have some reaction to it, as well as my oldest, we just never gave it to my youngest.

My DH doesn't get it because the flu doesn't involve his penis, so he doesn't care. ;)

My "other" is I generally think it is a good idea, and some years we have done it. But frankly I am semi lazy about it, hate the hassle, hate dealing with making appointments. Don't want to deal with having four crabby kids all at once, especially now that they aren't doing the nasal spray for kids (or so I have heard, anyway). I have one child who nearly faints nearly every time when receiving a shot, so no nasal spray is a big deal for this kid.

I lean toward doing it, but whether or not we actually do it may depend somewhat on what relatively easy option presents itself for making that happen. Our clinic does NOT make it simple for whole families to get the flu shot...DH can get it at work, but to get the other five of us we would have to come three separate days, due to max of two family memebers per day allowed to be seen in the clinic...I assume because they are worried about too many cancellations if a whole family doesn't show. We didn't have a great experience one time we tried a nearby walk-in clinic, but maybe we'll try another.

Really? I had never heard of that before. I apologize. I've just hear so many people get the flu shot and think they're not going to get the 2-3 day stomach virus that gets passed around from time to time! Lol.

It is funny how many people have that misconception. "The stomach flu" should be called something else, I think!

I was one who never saw the need for the vaccine until we all got the flu 4 years ago. It was terrible. Really awful, and the ill effects lasted for months. The only one who didn't get it was the baby, because he had a flu shot along with his regular immunizations.

We didn't have a stomach-virus-type component to it. However, the coughing was so severe and prolonged that we were actually vomiting from the intensity of the coughing jags!

We get the flu shot now!

• Like 2

Yes, we did all get the flu one year and the kids got strep at the same time.

It probably ended up costing us at least $1000 in Dr visits and medication and we have good insurance. I was sick for several months.

Since my nephew has CF we would be getting if even if we hadn't recently had a horrific flu experience.

Edited by Slartibartfast

I've had the flu once in my life and my husband and kids never have. We don't see the need since we are not immune compromised or around someone who is, and at low risk of transmission based on our activities.

Ok, for those curious among us, our current results as of 245 members voting goes as this:

18-49 age range:

50.3% Yes or soon will

49.7% No

50-64 age range:

57.4% Yes or soon will

42.6% No

Kids 6months to 17 years:

46.5% Yes or soon will

53.5% No

Not enough data to even think about 65+ range, nor am I able to do adult kids somewhat respectably.

*Note that I had to assume with our kids that families average out in size since we aren't adding individuals and that the "some did/didn't" parts also divided out equally.  

*Note 2 that since there are three options for voting no without age ranges, I used the same percentages as with ranges dividing those out over the three groups.

This is NOT scientific by any stretch of the imagination.  It's just a fun look at some rough estimates.

Here's the comparison to the CDC's stats from the link I provided on the first page:

• Percent of children 6 months to 17 years who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 49.6% (Hive 46.5%)
  • Percent of adults 18-49 years who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 31.7% (Hive 50.3%)
  • Percent of adults 50-64 years who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 48.1% (Hive 57.4%)
  • Percent of adults 65 years and over who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 69.1% (Hive Not enough data)
At this point we seem to be slightly under the stats for kids, though I expect well within the margin of error to be the same - esp since I have no way of knowing how many kids are in each family or how many did/didn't get the vaccine when families split.  We're well over the stats for the other two groups I can (sort of) do.

My mind naturally wonders if those who prefer not to get the "jab" have more kids.

Another glimpse into how some of our sciencey personality minds work - all from one short bit on the news talking about the shots.   :lol:  
Edited by creekland

nt

It's ok to keep discussion (and voting in the poll) going.  I can always update stats and anything folks share is a bonus for those of us who like reading about decisions.

If I've made any sort of error in my stat conclusions, feel free to point that out too.  Or if one has a better thought for adjusting the unknowns.  Peer review is fine.

Oh, it wasn't that, though it sort of was.  I just got diagnosed with mild asthma after my 2nd round of pneumonia in two years, and I'm getting some looks about the flu vaccine. I just can't reconcile the articles I read saying it's only effective about 50% of the time with people saying it was miraculous for them.  I mean, it would be nice to axe the flu, since that does seem to be my direct ticket to pneumonia.  

It wasn't so much an issue when we were schooling at home.  It's once you start bringing in tutors (who also work in the ps), going out to things with hundreds of kids, etc.  I literally know the day, the exposure, that led to me getting the flu that led to pneumonia.  

I just hate that conflict, with one side saying imprecatory things about the flu shot, like it will hurt you, doesn't work, blah blah, and the other side saying hello we could stop you from ending up with pneumonia again (implying the vaccine is marvelously effective, which the data apparently shows it isn't).  Hate that.  

• Like 1

Nobody in our family ever gets a one. I had the flu once in high school. My middle daughter got it once when she was at summer camp. That is it.

I don't know if we just have healthy immune systems or if it is because our lifestyle doesn't include being indoors with a lot of other people on a regular basis.

This subject irks my tatter every year. The CC I work for gives free flu shots to all FT instructors and staff but not to adjuncts. Those adjuncts who teach full loads have the same risk of contracting the flu (or any other communicable diseases for that matter), they make far less money yet have to pay full price (the vaccines aren't subsidized).

• Like 1

He's in school all day and our doctor's office doesn't make 'nurse only appointments' after 3pm. Ummm... he gets out of school at 3:35.

CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and Safeway do have the flu shots during flu shots season. They have a booth near the pharmacy counter just for flu shots.

Our doctors office is open on Saturdays but I'll nearest flu shot station is actually Safeway supermarket which has a pharmacy inside.

CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart and Safeway do have the flu shots during flu shots season. They have a booth near the pharmacy counter just for flu shots.

Our doctors office is open on Saturdays but I'll nearest flu shot station is actually Safeway supermarket which has a pharmacy inside.

Again, depends on the state. In NY, pharmacies cannot vaccinate kids under 19 (iirc), which is completely ridiculous, but nothing I can do anything about.

So this is a little tricky... 

I chose:
No - significant known health issues from vaccines (or at least this one

I don't HAVE significant health issues from this vaccine but I will not take it due to concerns with health issues regarding this specific vaccine if that makes sense.  So, this is just an aside. ;)

Yes, we did all get the flu one year and the kids got strep at the same time.

It probably ended up costing us at least $1000 in Dr visits and medication and we have good insurance. I was sick for several months.

Since my nephew has CF we would be getting if even if we hadn't recently had a horrific flu experience.

This happened to us last February. Flu and strep for all 4 kids, which led to a hospital stay for my oldest DD with type 1 diabetes. She spiraled into ketoacidosis. So all those dr bills and medicines, not to mention time off school (my older two are in brick and mortar). Plus, we had unavoidable house guests that week who took the flu home with them. It was the pits.

The only person who didn't get sick was DH who had the shot at work. Previously I have always been in the "don't bother because it probably won't help anyway camp". I''m still in the "it probably won't help" camp, but I will bother this year just in case. I'd like to do whatever I can to avoid that scenario playing out again.

Two younger kids had the shot. Need to get the older two in.

• Like 1

Everyone in the house but me gets the vaccine. I don't because of my egg allergy. I don't currently have an allergist and no one else will give it to me.

The egg free option isn't available in my area, I checked.

We have varioushealtg issues that make the flu riskier, as well as immune compromised family. Also I don't need lung damage or other long term complications, nor do my family.

• Like 1

I live in NY and they won't give a flu shot in those places if you are 18 or under.  I would just take him to wegmans, but they have a HUGE sign saying you have to be over 18 to get the shot.  So, it's useless for my kids.

Again, depends on the state. In NY, pharmacies cannot vaccinate kids under 19 (iirc), which is completely ridiculous, but nothing I can do anything about.

That is the problem we are running into

My option wasn't on there.  

No, because the the one and only time that I have ever had the flu in my entire 45+ years on the planet was the ONE time that I had the flu vaccine.  

It wasn't the right vaccine for that year's flu.  Or that was the story told.

I got the flu three weeks after I had the shot and I was so miserable. Now, I stay away from it.  It's a once bitten, twice shy sort of thing.

The kids get them if the Army docs push it.  The oldest kid gets it because he's in college and that already a hot bed of contagions. He needs any and all possible options to stay healthy.  

DH gets it because the Army gives him everything and he can't say no.

Edited to add:

I'm not saying that I got the flu from the vaccine.  I did get the headache and ill feeling the first couple of days after the vaccine....then managed to come down with the flu (for the firs time in my life) a few weeks later.  If I'm going to get the flu anyway (which has never happened since), I'd rather avoid getting the dang shot too.

Edited by Frosch

Yup. Nausea is a flu side effect, and for me, the nausea tips over into throwing up very easily. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but there you have it! If I get nauseous, you'll find me in the bathroom. Lol.

My only protection against the stomach virus is to stay home as much as possible and wash hands like crazy. Which I do!

Thanks to this thread reminding me, I got the shot at Kroger today. It's not usually a high priority for me, but the baby is too young for it, so I hope this can protect him. Also, I'm pretty sure the lack of sleep that comes from having a baby, a two yr old,and a four yr old has shot my immune system.

• Like 1

No, we don't get it.  The only years I have ever had the flu were the years I had the flu shot also. Not from the shot.  2-3 months AFTER the shot.  Both were times I worked for health systems that mandated immunization as a work requirement.  The first time, I ended up with double pneumonia and a 105 temperature after an adverse reaction to Tamiflu. 

The 2nd time was work mandated and I got the flu from my kids who also didn't receive the vaccine.  Oddly enough, that's the only time they have ever had the flu also.  DD made it through a giant public school outbreak of H1N1 without catching it by having her own hand sanitizer and taking disposable water bottles to use instead of water fountains. 

Last year I had a mandated vaccine again or have to wear a mask for flu season at the hospital.  I opted for the mask (which I never actually wore), took care of multiple flu patients, and didn't get sick at all.

• Like 1

Just because it's come up several times as personal stories - which as we know we're primed to give credence to....the fact is: 

You cannot get the flu from the vaccine

I don't think the mild flu-like symptoms I normally get 12-24 hours after the vaccine are from the actual flu. I think the headache and low-grade fever are from some sort of immune reaction to the shot. This year I didn't get them so that's why I'm dubious about whether this particular formulation will provide any protection to me.

• Like 1