Menu

Flu shot poll

creekland

Hive Flu Shot stats  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get your flu shot for this year?

• Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 18-49 age range)
    • Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 50-64 age range)
    • Yes - willingly (and I'm in the 65+ age range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (18-49 range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (50-64 range)
    • Yes - due to work or similar requirements - I wouldn't have otherwise (65+ range)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (18-49)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (50-64)
    • Not yet, but plan to soon (65+)
    • No - don't see the need - please vote this option below with ranges - I goofed earlier!
    • No - can't afford it
    • No - significant known health issues from vaccines (or at least this one)
    • Other - is there any other option? If so, let me know and I'll modify the poll.
    • No - don't see the need (18-49)
    • No - don't see the need (50-64)
    • No - don't see the need (65+)
    • No - I'm afraid to
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Have your kids (ages 6 months to 17 years) gotten their flu shots?

• Yes - all of them
    • Some of them, others have health issues
    • Some of them, others choose not to get it
    • No, but all will soon
    • No, but some will soon
    • No - don't see the need
    • No - significant health issues known (or expected based upon some previous event)
    • No - couldn't afford it
    • We have no children between 6 months and 17 years here.
    • Other - again - is there something I'm missing?
  3. 3. Did your adult kids opt for the flu shot?

• Yes, all of them
    • Some did, some didn't
    • Some did, I'm not sure about others
    • Some didn't, I'm not sure about others
    • Not yet, but all will soon
    • Not yet, but some will soon
    • No - saw no need
    • No - significant health issues known
    • No - couldn't afford it
    • I'm not sure.
    • There are no adult kids in my family
    • Other - let me know if I missed something

Well, I answered other, even with all those options! I need a "No - I'm afraid to" option, I guess. I have only had it once in my life and it is horrible. I think the headache was the worst, but the hallucinations from fever would be a close second.

Now that I will turn 60 this year, I'm thinking that it is time to consider it too much of a risk to get that sick. But then I hear someone say that the shot made them sick for days, or there are always those who say that it is really bad for you for some reason or other. So I hesitate.

Ds has the flu right now. Just got confirmed yesterday at dr's office. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to deal with this type of thing. I mean, our neighbors got flu shots and came down sick. We didn't have flu shots and ds got the flu. And getting the shot doesn't mean you are going to avoid the flu (might be another strain, for example). So it's all a toss up.

We had to make a hard decision yesterday about how to proceed with the recovery. We were prescribed Tamiflu but didn't get it after researching prices and reactions. Apparently our prescription required two liquid bottles and we were going to have to pay $300 for something that might make things worse. What a crappy scenario.

ETA: I know children and adults react differently. I read that adults may not have vomiting or diarrhea. Ds had vomiting, but didn't seem to have the level of symptoms I thought were associated with flu (shakes, I don't think he had those).

No. I don't see the need.

The last time I had the flu was in *August* of 1997, when the Princess died in the car crash (having the flu is my only explanation for my being so devastated by her death. o_0 ) I have not had a flu shot or the flu since then.

I don't know what my adult daughters do. I'm not sure what Mr. Ellie does, either, lol.

Also, I had to vote on the middle question even though there was nothing I could really vote on. I don't know if you can manage the poll such that people can *not* vote in one of the sections...

Just curious to compare Hive stats to recent US stats I saw.  

So... did you get yours?  Your kids (age 17 or younger)?

Voting is 100% anonymous, of course.

Edited by creekland

Our family, including the adult child, choose not to.  

Hubby and I did - willingly.  

We have no kids 17 or younger (empty nesting - wow - we're getting old - sigh).

Middle son got his at college.

I'm not sure about youngest or oldest sons.  My guess would be no, but I'm not sure.

For all of us -- not yet but will soon.

DS17 was on fall break last week. He and I usually go during that week and get our flu shots, but he had a nasty cold and so we put it off.

DH will get his at work next week.

DS20 usually gets one over his Thanskgiving break.

• Like 1

I'm scared of the flu. I'm a big baby just with a little head cold. 4 out of my family of 5 have had/are getting the flu shot. I did tell my dd24 to go in and get one but I don't know if she ever did. She would have to take off work to go in and I don't think she's willing to do that. I get the impression she doesn't feel a flu shot is necessary.

The teens and I got ours as soon as we could fit it in. There was flu in our area in September. I have asthma and have to reduce the chance of pneumonia. Both of my teens got it because they're around others who come to class sick and are at a critical point in their education (college and 12th grade). DH will get it in about two weeks. He was up for tetanus, flu, and shingles, and we decided to spread them out. He also has asthma and many other medical issues including two surgeries scheduled for early 2017.

Last year the teens both didn't have the shot and had flu and missed two weeks of classes each. It was particularly hard on my college student, although the professors worked with us. This year they wanted the shot to try prevent that. DH and I also got the flu but had the shot. We were not nearly as sick.

Normally, we do. However, now that I'm living in the absolute boonies, don't know who the nearest doctor is, nor whether our new insurance covers it or not.... not sure if we'll be getting it this year.

My three college kids do get it each year, and I will be encouraging them to get it again this year.

Edited by Kinsa

No.  I've gotten the flu twice in my life, once at age 9, once at age 30.  The years that I've gotten the flu shot I've gotten sick for days after.  So did dh.  Not to mention it usually only had something like a 20% chance of protecting us each year.  Now that the mist has been proven to be non-useful I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

FWIW, everyone in my family is generally very healthy - I see flu shots as something for those who are immune-compromised.  Since it doesn't stop the spread of the virus, just limits the effects of it, I don't see any sort of benefit to getting it when we don't need it.

• Like 3

No.  I've gotten the flu twice in my life, once at age 9, once at age 30.  The years that I've gotten the flu shot I've gotten sick for days after.  So did dh.  Not to mention it usually only had something like a 20% chance of protecting us each year.  Now that the mist has been proven to be non-useful I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

FWIW, everyone in my family is generally very healthy - I see flu shots as something for those who are immune-compromised.  Since it doesn't stop the spread of the virus, just limits the effects of it, I don't see any sort of benefit to getting it when we don't need it.

This is pretty much us.  We've had the actual flu come through our household twice in 24 years.  Once was the one year I actually got a flu shot.  

Ok, my mind wasn't totally thinking this morning.  I forgot to break up the "no" votes by age range so we could actually compute stats by age range if we wanted to (sigh).

I fixed it.  Those of you who already voted no can align your votes accordingly if you delete your vote, then revote.  Sorry!

Otherwise, it's impossible to compare the Hive to US Stats by age range...

I replied 'Don't see the need' relative to our winter here in Australia. However, in December we'll be travelling in Europe and I do plan to contact a travel clinic to see if we can get flu shots. Flu at home isn't fun but we only get really sick every 5 years or so. We were sick with a flu-type virus while travelling a few years ago and I can't do that again. It was a horrible experience.

ETA: I've had the flu shot once.

Edited by nd293

I have, DS is going to get his at his well child visit in a couple of weeks and DH better get his! :-) For the past 4 years, DS and I have gotten ours and DH has "forgotten". Each of those 4 years, DH has ended up in bed, horribly sick with the flu for over a week. DS and I have been flu free during that time. If i have to drag him to get it this year, I will. :-)

Yes, we all happened to be in to the doctor together las week for the baby's check-up, so we all had one.  Dd8 has asthma and I don't want to expose the baby, but we would get it anyway.  I have no options for sick leave, flu is not something I want to deal with if I can avoid it.

This is what the CDC website says:

How effective was the 2015-2016 flu vaccine?

CDC’s end-of-season influenza vaccine effectiveness (VE) estimates for the 2015-2016 season were presented to the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) on June 22, 2016. CDC’s adjusted overall VE estimate against influenza A and B viruses for all ages was 47%. The overall VE against A(H1N1)pdm09 was 41% and the overall VE against influenza B was 55%. This data is consistent with VE observed during previous seasons when vaccine viruses and circulating viruses were similar. These vaccine effectiveness estimates were derived from data collected from the U.S. Flu VE Network from November 2, 2015, through April 15, 2016.

See Seasonal Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness, 2005-2016 for more information.

• Like 4

My answer is not included.

No, they are consistently ineffective, with a 3% efficacy rate last year. 

No thank you. 

I very seriously doubt your stats TBH, but that still falls under the "No - I see no need" option for voting.

I don't break down why people see no need the same way I don't break down why people who are willing feel that way.  That's for our posts if we feel like sharing.  ;)

I did break down the "must get it for work" if one would otherwise not get it because that seemed like it could skew answers.

• Like 2

If folks are curious as to why we opt to get the shot...

I haven't in the past and never have had the flu even while working at school where the flu has been rampant.  I think my immune system is pretty darn good TBH.  But then three years ago I read an article about how some of us who don't show symptoms might actually be carriers and that's when I was heading to Hopkins.  I didn't want to take the chance of spreading anything there to people who already had issues, so I opted to get one.

I'm not in that situation any longer, but I am getting older so I muse that helping my body (or possibly others) is still worthwhile.  I get no symptoms from the vaccine other than maybe a little bit of a sore arm a few hours later.  I don't even feel the prick of the needle.  Ours only cost $39 (each) for the 4 virus strain.

For me, there are some pros to getting it and no cons whatsoever, so logically, it's a no brainer.

Hubby goes along.  He's had the flu and appreciates having any support he can to not getting it again.  He hasn't had it since we've gotten the shot.

Middle son gets his.  He's in college and doesn't want to miss classes.  He sees others get hit with it and it's difficult to handle while in college.  It spreads easily.  He's also pre-med and sees no cons from that perspective.

Youngest likes being as natural as possible, so opts out.  He's never had the flu and could have my genetics that seem to buffer us from it naturally.

Oldest moved on to college when none of us were getting shots.  I've no idea how he feels about it now because it doesn't come up in our discussions.

I very seriously doubt your stats TBH, but that still falls under the "No - I see no need" option for voting.

I don't break down why people see no need the same way I don't break down why people who are willing feel that way. That's for our posts if we feel like sharing. ;)

I did break down the "must get it for work" if one would otherwise not get it because that seemed like it could skew answers.

My SIL quoted that stat to me recently. I think it may be a U.K. Stat?

Efficacy of the flu shot varies year to year. I am happy it is available but do not like the trend towards making it mandatory. My job requires it this year. My family has a history of severe allergic reactions and hospitalization from flu shots. But that may not be enough for my employer to give me an exemption. I find out in the next couple of weeks.

ETA: found the link she was referring to. We really need to call it a flu jab!! So much better than flu shot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11393560/Flu-jab-given-to-millions-is-useless.html

Edited by MSNative
  • Like 1

Do you have a link to that stat?  I am surprised they'd (whoever they is) would recommend something with such a low rate.

Wait, it was the FluMist:  FluMist only reduced the risk of serious influenza by 3 percent last year.   The regular one was deemed to be 23% effective last I read.   My apologies.  It was FluMist and not the regular vaccine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/flu-shot-less-effective/21804187/

It also is less effective if you do it every year:

https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/11/flu-shots-reduce-effectiveness/

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 1

I don't break down why people see no need the same way I don't break down why people who are willing feel that way.  That's for our posts if we feel like sharing.   ;)

I corrected that in another post.  It was the FluMist that was 3% effective, not the regular shot, which was  23% effective last I saw. 

Yes, I would like to see how much the rates would change if you removed those forced to do it to keep their jobs.

• Like 1

DS has a chronic neuromuscular condition and is in therapy offices and speciality doctor clinics throughout the winter. We started getting the flu shot after we both came down with the flu several years back. DS does not handle having a fever well and that was what pushed me into the "we will always get flu shots" camp.

I don't get it for us because we can withstand a normal illness, and I don't like putting chemicals in our bodies without a very good reason.  The only time we've gotten a really bad virus (as in, making us really uncomfortable for more than a couple days), that particular virus was not included in the flu vaccine anyway.

• Like 1

Severely disabled ds, dh and I always get it. The other kids have the option. ds14 chose to get it. He's in school for the first time this year, so I think that was the right call. Adult dd only ever gets the nasal spray and since that's not available this year, she's not getting anything. Dd12 isn't getting it.

My SIL quoted that stat to me recently. I think it may be a U.K. Stat?

Efficacy of the flu shot varies year to year. I am happy it is available but do not like the trend towards making it mandatory. My job requires it this year. My family has a history of severe allergic reactions and hospitalization from flu shots. But that may not be enough for my employer to give me an exemption. I find out in the next couple of weeks.

ETA: found the link she was referring to. We really need to call it a flu jab!! So much better than flu shot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11393560/Flu-jab-given-to-millions-is-useless.html

This is an interesting development - thanks for sharing.  

It's helpful to note that they also say, "But the new research has found that those suffering from the drift strain of A(H3N2) would have been better protected if they were given the jab received on the other side of the globe."

So I'm going to guess our strains are more effective?  They also note that the "jab" (love that word!) also still protects against the typical strains as before.  This is just a new one circulating - seems to be a scary one too.

I work in pharmacy

Dh works with linens

DD18 in 2 schools and works with the public

DS22 in 1 school, teaches youth in church, teaches youth as a tutor.

DD9 is in a school with kids who have behavior issues ( so she gets spit on etc)

We are all high risk for flu exposure.  We all get the shot, ever year.

We get it.  

Although the last few years the kids have gotten the mist so does that count as not getting it?

Anyhow

We were just at the doctor this week and he said not to get it now.  It is way to early.  He said they don't see flu hear until the end of Jan.   So we didn't get it.  I wish I would have known that before I hauled all my kids with me to the baby's apt.  

Wait, it was the FluMist:  FluMist only reduced the risk of serious influenza by 3 percent last year.   The regular one was deemed to be 23% effective last I read.   My apologies.  It was FluMist and not the regular vaccine.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/01/15/flu-shot-less-effective/21804187/

It also is less effective if you do it every year:

https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/11/flu-shots-reduce-effectiveness/

Yeah I guess nobody is offering the mist at all this year.

I've had a flu shot twice in my life. both times, I was seriously immune compromised.

the first time (my mom gut hijacked me to get one) - I got the flu two months later, the 2nd worst  case of flu I've ever had.  I'm convinced i would have had to be hospitalized if I had not.  I had the flu a 2nd time  that season too.

2nd time - I was pg and recovering from pneumonia.  I didn't  get the flu.  doubt I would have anyway.

2dd gets a flu shot because - healthcare field, works in a hospital.

dh gets them. or used to anyway.

We used to do them, but not anymore - this will be our third year not getting it.  Two of my kids have very messed up immune systems, one of whom has an immune deficiency and is getting seriously super expensive out of pocket treatments for that, and it's complicated (don't really want to go into it), but I am loathe to give any of them shots that are not required.

Absolutely, yes. I have an issue with the flu and any sort of dehydration: if I begin throwing up, I can't stop, and will end up in the E.R. needing iv fluids and anti-nausea meds. Happens every single time, and costs us big $$. So, I avoid the flu at all costs, and try to keep my immune system up and wash hands constantly to avoid stomach viruses. It's just not pretty. 

Yes for dh, nor worries. My brother has a lot of bad vaccine reactions and I am similar as is my sister. He took the vaccine about 5 years ago and had a confirmed case of reaction induces guillion barre (sp?) so I refrain. Dd, who sometimes has life threatening reactions to vaccines, has hers because it is required for medics in her state, but she gets it at the hospital...they put her in an ER room - courtesy because she is a medic - nurse gices het whatever boosters she needa for work, and the team gears up for the inevitable seizure.

Scares the tar right out of me. She has decided not to go back on the road now that she is a mommy with an injured back, so will let her license expire so last year was the last of this scariness for us! Yay!

One college boy got his, other college boy did not. 16 year old did not want it, but wants both meningitis vaxes before entering dorms in 2018 which willbe close to booster time I think. I have not checked his vax record lately to see if I am wrong about due dates. I get kind of lax about things except tetnus after age 14 and before college. We kind of coast through high school.

Well, I answered other, even with all those options! I need a "No - I'm afraid to" option, I guess. I have only had it once in my life and it is horrible. I think the headache was the worst, but the hallucinations from fever would be a close second.

Now that I will turn 60 this year, I'm thinking that it is time to consider it too much of a risk to get that sick. But then I hear someone say that the shot made them sick for days, or there are always those who say that it is really bad for you for some reason or other. So I hesitate.

Absolutely, yes. I have an issue with the flu and any sort of dehydration: if I begin throwing up, I can't stop, and will end up in the E.R. needing iv fluids and anti-nausea meds. Happens every single time, and costs us big $$. So, I avoid the flu at all costs, and try to keep my immune system up and wash hands constantly to avoid stomach viruses. It's just not pretty.

The stomach flu isn't the virus you are getting vaccinated for. The "real flu" is high fever, aches, respiratory issues. I had it and had a 103 degree fever for days, was laid up for 10 days and ended the whole thing with a sinus infection and bronchitis.
  • Like 1

My youngest will likely get his this afternoon at his asthma check appointment.  Last year was the first year he got one.  He had previously been allergic to eggs which is a contraindication and he had previous severe reaction to a vaccine.  I will ultimately leave it up to him if he wants it or not.  DD always opts to get the flu shot.  My middle will not get a shot if he can help it.  He got the flu mist last year, but if that is not an option he will opt out.  When he was younger I made him get one because of a congenital heart defect, but that has since been fixed, so now I leave it up to him.

DH never gets the flu shot and I have only gotten it once.  I am not planning to get one this year, but I may change my mind.

I did, my kids haven't - I wasn't sure whether to vote "no need" or "other" for them though (went with "no need") - I probably would've gotten them the flu shot this year because I don't want them to be ill for 1-2 weeks while we're on vacation in NL next month, but I just didn't think it was worth scheduling an appointment at their pediatrician and driving 20 minutes each way to get to the ped just for the flu shot (they offer two nights they do shots without an appointment, but the kids had other commitments those nights). For some stupid reason in NYS the pharmacy can't vaccinate people under 19 or some such. Some years I get them vaccinated for the flu, some years I don't.

Ds has the flu right now. Just got confirmed yesterday at dr's office. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to deal with this type of thing. I mean, our neighbors got flu shots and came down sick. We didn't have flu shots and ds got the flu. And getting the shot doesn't mean you are going to avoid the flu (might be another strain, for example). So it's all a toss up.

We had to make a hard decision yesterday about how to proceed with the recovery. We were prescribed Tamiflu but didn't get it after researching prices and reactions. Apparently our prescription required two liquid bottles and we were going to have to pay $300 for something that might make things worse. What a crappy scenario.

ETA: I know children and adults react differently. I read that adults may not have vomiting or diarrhea. Ds had vomiting, but didn't seem to have the level of symptoms I thought were associated with flu (shakes, I don't think he had those).

Edited by heartlikealion

I do. Every year. I got the flu once. The real flu. And it was the worst experience of my life.

Same here. Dh and I both had the flu in 1994. I have never been so sick. Have had a flu shot every year since and haven't had it again. My best friend almost died from flu complications and has permanent lung damage from it. She was 24 years old and otherwise healthy when she got the flu. For us, the flu risk outweighs the vaccine risk.

• Like 2

We get it.  

Although the last few years the kids have gotten the mist so does that count as not getting it?

Anyhow

We were just at the doctor this week and he said not to get it now.  It is way to early.  He said they don't see flu hear until the end of Jan.   So we didn't get it.  I wish I would have known that before I hauled all my kids with me to the baby's apt.  

read my post

No. I don't see the need.

The last time I had the flu was in *August* of 1997, when the Princess died in the car crash (having the flu is my only explanation for my being so devastated by her death. o_0 ) I have not had a flu shot or the flu since then.

I don't know what my adult daughters do. I'm not sure what Mr. Ellie does, either, lol.

Also, I had to vote on the middle question even though there was nothing I could really vote on. I don't know if you can manage the poll such that people can *not* vote in one of the sections...