Menu

Singapore Math gr 6 stds no HIG??

Hi,

We have been using the standards edition of Singapore math since 4th grade.  My son is in 6th currently and it turns out they no longer produce a home instructor's guide for this grade level....grr.  The only option is the very pricey teacher's guide.  Has anyone used the grade 6 level without the guide?  I like the guide, it gives me nice background info, alternative approaches, and the answers!

Don't know if I can stomach spending $60 after shipping on it.  It would be difficult to switch to the US edition at this point, so not sure what to do.

I've used the 6 without the HIG.  You'll be fine.  So much of it is a repeat of what you've already covered :)

Agreed. I have the TGs but think I would have been fine without them. Much of the material is review although covered at a deeper level. You can probably refer to the level 5 HIGs for any background information, and they do a sell an answer key that you might want.

Thanks for the feedback.  I did speak with someone in their customer service department.  I was told that the HIG was never created for it because the curriculum development department had a lot of other more pressing projects that interfered with it.  They suggested I look for it used online, join their forum on their website to ask their curriculum expert questions if I encounter anything that is challenging or consider skipping to grade 7 since we've been using the standards edition for that last few grade levels. I like the idea of exploring the grade 5 concepts in more depth as I don't believe my son has truly mastered the skills to begin with.  He demonstrated understanding at the time but true master was not there at the time.  I feel comfortable with using grade 6 on my own.  I may come here from time to time with advice about alternative approaches.

If you really want, you could switch to the US edition.  That is what I used and it has a HIG for all grades. That is why I didn't switch to the standards edition, lol. It doesn't sound like you need it, but if you have second thoughts, or someone else reads this thread, it's not a huge deal to switch over. I've seen plenty of people here do it for just that reason.

But, yes, the standard ed never had a HIG and there was no plan to make one.  I saw that on the SM math forum (do they still have those?) and it was written by Jennifer something, the person who ran the board and who, I think, wrote the HIGs.

I just looked, and there is still a SM forum, but it is almost empty. Years ago it was a pretty hopping place. It looks like either it crashed or they got rid of the old board and replaced it with something else and didn't carry forward all the old posts.

I didn't have one for 4-6.  I just didn't find I used them that often but I am pretty mathy and found that I already think the way SM teaches so could get by without it.  SM 6 was by far the easiest to do without the HIG so you will probably be OK.  I was also in the same boat in that I felt dd needed that 6th year and now that she is doing very well is AOPS Algebra, I think it was a year very well spent.

• Like 1

have the Teachers Edition for Standards 6A, just because I have charter school funds for curriculum. The Teacher Edition isn't quite like the HIG. There are way less mental math exercises and no hands on activities. It still has discussion points for the textbook and an answer key. It also has a few printables in the appendix to aid in teaching, but nothing too special. If I had to spend my own money, I probably wouldn't buy a new TE.

• Like 1