Menu

Mystery of History - lessons on Islam

My middle-schooler is using this book in his history co-op.  I don't care for the author's tone (all the more apparent since we listen to the audio version) towards Islam and "Moslems".  We are Xian but disagree with many of her "xian's believe" statements.  

We discuss her bias a lot and although I don't care for it, we are dealing with it.  I'm wondering if anyone more familiar with Islamic history can either recommend a better book for dealing with this topic or if someone can at least verify that the actual history portion of the Mystery of History chapters on Islam is accurate.

Thanks in advance!

read the Koran in conjunction with the Bible.

Why? I mean...how? They are so dissimilar and the Bible is so much longer.

AQ doesn't really have history in it the way the Bible does. Some similar figures are mentioned...Noah Moses Jesus Mary... But not like in the Bible where there's a chronology to it.

Op I'll try to remember to hit you with any recs ppl don't beat me to, tomorrow! It's lamentably slim pickins, to be sure, but there's stuff out there. Especially at adult reading level, though.

I would go directly to the source and read the Koran in conjunction with the Bible.

Uh, no. I'm not looking for any in-depth study of Islam or a comparative study of Islam and xianity. This is for my 9 year-old. I mainly want to make sure that the facts they are reading are as accurate as they could be to the best of my ability.

I'm pretty sure that I can do better than learning about Islam from someone who clearly thinks so negatively about them.

I'm pretty sure that I can do better than learning about Islam from someone who clearly thinks so negatively about them.

I mean it might not be incorrect, though? Just presented badly? Here's hoping. I wish I could see it too know what specifically it says. Oh well anyway like i said, I'll try to dig something up for you tomorrow. Hopefully something that doesn't replace blind condemnation with blind adulation. No promises though 😊

I mean it might not be incorrect, though? Just presented badly? Here's hoping. I wish I could see it too know what specifically it says. Oh well anyway like i said, I'll try to dig something up for you tomorrow. Hopefully something that doesn't replace blind condemnation with blind adulation. No promises though 😊

I hope so but I just don't know. And I wasn't expecting this class to go in this direction. They are mainly using SOTW which I'm pretty comfortable with. But she used the Islam chapters from MoH because she thought it was too important to gloss over given the current state of the world - I'm paraphrasing.

If I get a chance later, I'll pm you.

Destiny Disrupted

is the best IMO

It's not for kids though.

I was thinking about this and you know what I think you should do if your DC is into it, not knowing what you need ( :laugh: ) is watch documentaries. There are several. Some examples....

Edited by OKBud

Different approach -- could you opt your kids out of these particular lessons? I'm not a co-op person, but I remember my parents having me sit out of the rest of a social studies unit in which I was taught, in public school by a tenured teacher, that ALL Germans were and are Nazis...some lessons aren't worth the hearing...

I have thought about this and may do it in the future. I think that if I know for sure when it's coming I will just keep him home. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's going to be so obvious unless I ask specifically. Which I'm not sure if I want to do. And not sure if I can easily keep them all home or just him.

I need more time to think.

Thanks for all the recs!! Okbud, great idea about documentaries - that may be the way to go for this particular kid.

• Like 1

Heh... I taught my kids about Mohamed and the basics of Islam but reading the Koran was way more commitment than I was interested in. :)

It's pretty short, really. But after having listened to the KJV in the car, I was burned out. I heard nothing of the Quran other than the Bismillahs. I will have to try again another year.