Menu

Art history + music

My teens are asking to do an Art History course.  I want to add in a study of classical music.  Should I combine these to make one course (like for transcripts)?  Or should I separate them?  Also, if they're combined into one course, what do I call it on the transcript?

I haven't completely figured out what we're going to do, yet.  So far, I'm looking at Gardner's Art through the Ages, Classical Music 101 and a big playlist consisting of different composers.  Our writing might be the notebooking TWTM describes in the art appreciation section.

Probably the dumbest question ever - thanks for any replies (I'm new at this high school thing). 

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 1

I thought I had posted this in my sleep-deprived state last night as I have been pondering this for next year.

I recommend seeing how many hours they end up with before deciding on combining or keeping them separate. Together, they might be Art Appreciation or just Fine Arts. Separate, they could be Art History and Music Appreciation/History.

I think mine will do a Great Course, some Khan Academy, and work her way through Hanson's History of Art for Young People.

For music, I have a Great Course and some concerts, but not much else yet.

• Like 2

Don't forget to add in art museum visits and symphony attendance, if possible. If you combine, I would call it Intro to Fine Arts or Fine Arts Appreciation. I had my daughter do a combined photography, drawing, painting, theatre course and called it Intro to Visual Arts.

• Like 2