Menu

Anyone have experience with disembarkment syndrome?

mamakelly

Otherwise known as Mal de debarquement? I think I have it again, ugh. This is the second time I've gotten off a boat/ship and ended up with this. I feel like I'm still on the boat even though it's been 8 days, since I was on the boat. It's a persistent rocking or feeling like I'm on a bobbing boat. It goes away when I'm moving, walking, driving, and only comes back when I'm sitting still. It's driving me nuts. I should probably make a doctors appointment, but apparently it's extremely rare and there's nothing they can do about it. ((Sigh))

Edited by mamakelly

I've had a similar reaction after being in a series of small earthquakes (not the jolting kind, but the wave kind). It took me several months of intermittent reeling before I lost that strange disorientation. I kept thinking there was another one happening when there wasn't.

Everything I've read says it's more of a brain/vestibular thing. I'm honestly a little afraid to make an appointment with my regular dr. I don't want this to affect my drivers license. I'd never drive if I was dizzy. It's honestly only when I'm either standing still or sitting still. I joined a group for it, on Facebook. apparently many of them feel dizzy when they are still, most everyone can still drive because the movement of the vehicle keep the symptoms at bay. It's crazy. Good idea. I'll call my chiropractor and see if she has any experience with this.

Edited by mamakelly

Otherwise known as Mal de debarquement? I think I have it again, ugh. This is the second time I've gotten off a boat/ship and ended up with this. I feel like I'm still on the boat even though it's been 8 days, since I was on the boat. It's a persistent rocking or feeling like I'm on a bobbing boat. It goes away when I'm moving, walking, driving, and only comes back when I'm sitting still. It's driving me nuts. I should probably make a doctors appointment, but apparently it's extremely rare and there's nothing they can do about it. ((Sigh))

I've had this twice. Both times, it lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. I wasn't dizzy, just felt like I was on a boat. It was aggravating but did eventually go away without treatment, though I did see my dr the second time I had it. The first time, I'd been on a 4-day trip on a boat. The second time, it happened after my Eustachian tube in one ear collapsed during an airplane flight. Same feeling of being on a boat both times it happened. It slowly just dissipated over time.

Wow.  I didn't know this was a thing.  I have experienced this and just thought I was crazy.  I even get a mild form of it sometimes after doing too many flip turns while lap swimming.  I feel (and look) drunk in the locker room afterwards and once I even had to call dh to pick me up because I was afraid to drive.  I have had it last up to two weeks after extended time on a boat.  I did bring it up with my doctor once and she had no idea what it could be.  

I didn't know this was a thing!  I had this after our honeymoon, we were on a cruise for 10 days.  I had no sea sickness and was so happy about that, as I often get motion sickness in a car.  However, once we were home and off the ship I felt awful!  It felt like the world was swaying, I had a difficult time walking and felt sick to my stomach for about 2 weeks.

I get that sensation after an airline flight, and after the one time we took a cruise (I got motion sick while we were still docked!) It eventually went away.

An exercise that I use regularly which helps stimulate the balance reflexes is quite simple. Stand with your bare feet about a foot or so apart. Extend one leg in front, about a foot or so above the floor, and point your toe. Then use the extended leg to spell out capital letters ("A", "B", etc.) in the air as large as possible. Then use the opposite leg. You may wobble all over the place, but try not to hold on to anything. Try to get through the letter "G" at least.

So is this preventative or something you do to fix it once you already have the symptoms?  How long would you have to do it ahead to prevent it?

I get that sensation after an airline flight, and after the one time we took a cruise (I got motion sick while we were still docked!) It eventually went away.

An exercise that I use regularly which helps stimulate the balance reflexes is quite simple. Stand with your bare feet about a foot or so apart. Extend one leg in front, about a foot or so above the floor, and point your toe. Then use the extended leg to spell out capital letters ("A", "B", etc.) in the air as large as possible. Then use the opposite leg. You may wobble all over the place, but try not to hold on to anything. Try to get through the letter "G" at least.

I also get seasick in docked boats! And I get car sick.

I also bump into things a lot. I'm going to try your exercises!

Yes, I get this. I did not know it had a name. I was on a 2 week large ship cruise and it lasted afterwards for probably a month! It was especially bad in small rooms without windows, like a walk in closet or pantry. I was then on a sailboat for a week and it lasted afterwards for just a few days. it is annoying, but for me it does eventually go away.