Menu

Roman Roads Media: advantages and disadvantages?

For those who use or have used RRM, what do you like about the program? What do you not like? I'm looking for some honest reviews, and thinking of using it for grades 11 and 12 as something a little different (since we've already thoroughly enjoyed most of the Omnibus series). 

Which classes? Are you looking at just the DVD sets with recorded lectures or the online courses? If online are you looking to do the Roman Roads taught classes or the Wes Callihan led classes through Schola Tutorials?

The DVD sets: not online as we have slow internet and our timezone is 12 hours behind EST.

They have a lot of classes, so I'm not sure which ones you're interested in. We are seven weeks in with Old Western Culture- Ancient Greeks and my dd absolutely loves it. She is also doing the online course with Mr. Calihan which I'm sure is a big part of how much she enjoys it. She really likes online classes and being able to discuss with others.

If you have time in your schedule I would try to watch the lecture with your son or daughter to be able to discuss. It's a lot to cover in a vacuum since you can't do the online courses.

I would say the advantages for the DVD is you have an expert lecturing on the subject in an interesting engaging way.

I honestly can't think of any disadvantages, but we're still on the Epics so I haven't had a full year.

• 2 weeks later...

Which classes? Are you looking at just the DVD sets with recorded lectures or the online courses? If online are you looking to do the Roman Roads taught classes or the Wes Callihan led classes through Schola Tutorials?

Are these still separate? It looks like the Schola Tutorials are through Roman Roads now.

Are these still separate? It looks like the Schola Tutorials are through Roman Roads now.

Schola Tutorials is Wes Callihan and is separate from Roman Roads.  Roman Roads hosts information about Schola on their website but, should you wish to sign up for a Schola Tutorial, you will be re-directed to his site.  Roman Roads has classes that cover the same material, but they don't have a live Wes Callihan.  His discussion is very much worth the price of the class, in my opinion.

Schola Tutorials is Wes Callihan and is separate from Roman Roads. Roman Roads hosts information about Schola on their website but, should you wish to sign up for a Schola Tutorial, you will be re-directed to his site. Roman Roads has classes that cover the same material, but they don't have a live Wes Callihan. His discussion is very much worth the price of the class, in my opinion.

When I look at the individual classes on his site I am redirected to the RRM site. It looks like they're doing something called a flipped classroom. The DVDs are used for the lecture then there is additional discussion. Is that how your daughter's class is?

When I look at the individual classes on his site I am redirected to the RRM site. It looks like they're doing something called a flipped classroom. The DVDs are used for the lecture then there is additional discussion. Is that how your daughter's class is?

You enroll for his classes through Roman Roads. The DVDs have his lectures and are sold on RR- both RR and Schola use those as the foundation of their classes, however RR has their own live classes while Wes teaches live through Schola. So you have two instructors (or more) to chose from. But either way you register on RR for most of Wes's classes. Does that make sense?

We chose to go with Schola. We love love love Mr. Callihan. :)

Oh and yes- that's how the classes are. There is a weekly schedule in the student guide. You watch the video, do the reading, answer the questions and then attend the live class once a week. I think it woks that way for the RR class as well.

You enroll for his classes through Roman Roads. The DVDs have his lectures and are sold on RR- both RR and Schola use those as the foundation of their classes, however RR has their own live classes while Wes teaches live through Schola. So you have two instructors (or more) to chose from. But either way you register on RR for most of Wes's classes. Does that make sense?

We chose to go with Schola. We love love love Mr. Callihan. :)

Interesting! Thanks for explaining that.