Menu

What a beast! The new kindle HD 8...

I've talked about our kindle in the past, so I wanted to mention that I got ds the new kindle HD 8.  His other one bit the dust (sigh), so it was time.  I had been really nervous about going to the HD 8, because our other unit was an HDX with double speakers, high pixels, etc.  The new HD has double speakers (yeah!) and adequate pixels.  What's interesting is the SPEED is noticeably better.  Also, I wasn't sure how the new os would work, because it changes the coverflow.  Obviously, with our non-readers, having good visual cover access is important!  Somehow he's still using it and happy.  

It uses a swipe between screens to change category types.  The pulldown menu is nicer.  The downloading is WAY better, oh my.  The wifi is faster, but also it's just more efficient.  You're also getting Alexa, BARD (NLS app), and maybe even VoiceDream, which was working on porting over to android.

I'm not sure if they're going to release an HDX version at some point.  For now, for the price, if you're looking for a device, the HD 8 is pretty slick.  It's not an ipad, but my ds can crash 3-4 of these for the price of an ipad.  

• Like 3