Menu

S/O-what has worked for your AL to do with more typically developing kids?

Dmmetler

In the thread on talking to parents, the subject of "Let's get the kids together to do school" came up. I've actually found that to work pretty well in helping DD build a friend network in the elementary years-as well as getting me people who understand that, yes, she's smart, but that doesn't mean she's easy to parent or homeschool!

What has worked (at various times with individual kids, a small group, or in co-op settings):

Book clubs built around a common interest, where the kids read (or have the book read to them) at home, and the book is discussed, crafts done, food made and eaten, etc in the club. When DD was about 5-6, we did an American Girl club, which spanned in age from 5-10 or so. The older girls (and DD) read the books (DD usually reading ALL of a given girl's books, the younger ones did it as a read-aloud, and then we did crafts, cooking, and stuff like that together, plus time to play with dolls. It was a good way for us to connect in our local HS community without beating people's heads over the "I'm homeschooling because I have a 5 yr old who is doing 4th grad work" stuff. We've also done this sort of thing for Harry Potter, and that's kind of how my mythology club was structured as well. This can also work for history, too. Read at your own level at home, do the activities together. So one kid read Zinn and the other kid listened to Jim Weiss read SOTW-it can still work.

Groups where each kid shares something at their level and where new topics are introduced that are orthogonal to what the kids are learning. Math and science are both good for this, because there are tons of topics not covered in a regular curriculum. Games are good, too-everyone brings and shares a favorite game (I will never forget doing this and having DD very excited about a "new game" that was "so much fun"- the game in question was Hi-Ho Cherry-Oh!. I had largely skipped the early learning "first games" with her because she had the reading and math skills to play adult games at an early age, so for her, those easy games were novel). In general, I've found that if someone wants to do math with us, we can find a way to do math that both kids will enjoy-and the benefits to DD are immense, because often her joy in math is contagious.

As DD has gotten older, a common topic often ends up being "study hall"-let's all bring something we're working on and grumble about school together. DD often ends up being a tutor, but that's Ok.

I will say that this is getting harder as DD gets older, but that has more to do with the relative absence of homeschoolers her age who have time to get together and do something extra for fun than a lack of options.

• Like 1

For us it has been something in the arts or something that focuses on motor skills, things that are right at his age level.  Or, if it's new, we have a better chance of it being a success. :) DS did well in group ballet and theatre classes, but music is better with a tutor right now.  I'm sure that'll change later.  He wants to do scouts and I'm sure that will be a good thing for him when we find a pack. Our new home has some amazing opportunities for hs'ers that he'll enjoy, too: nature studies, literature groups (they focus on best loved picture books with activities to go with), and organized p.e. classes. 

• Like 3

Mine do sports, scouts, and church activities.  Playdates can be trickier, but outside time is always good (shooting baskets, throwing a ball, playing in mud, swinging, stilts, bikes, scooters, etc, or boys seem to play a generic game of 'tackle').  Crafts, army men battles, legos, and board games that involve chance are also good (strategy games can be a problem - when one of mine has a break at co-op, I sometimes see them playing 2 chess games simultaneously with 2 different kids - everybody seems happy, go figure). 

Martial Arts, Chess club, Strings Orchestra (he picked up a string instrument as a second instrument so that he could be around kids who advance in music at a typical pace), choir (he is not so great at it and it is a novel experience for him to work hard to keep up), Art class and a Service Club where kids brainstorm to come up with service projects for our local community. There are no academics involved in the interactions and they are social outlets that help him grow and make friendships.

I'm glad you posted this as tomorrow is the first day of the kindergarten coop I've started. It'll mostly be free play with educational toys, but we are doing a structured learning activity at the beginning. I'm starting off with physics demonstrations/play as I figured that's a subject that differences in academic skills won't really matter, at their ages anyway.

I like your book club ideas. Do you mind a follow up question? How long did these various clubs last and why did they end?

We are part of a Charlotte Mason-inspired co-op that has a wide age spread (right now it is 14-newborn). It meets outside at a local park. Each term we study a composer, an artist, a folk song, a hymn, and nature study. The kids can recite poetry. Each mom takes a subject. Afterward we eat packed lunch and the kids play. It works well for us because the topics are things I don't cover regularly, the wide age range (including kids 4 years older than my oldest), and the time playing afterward.

• Like 1

I'm glad you posted this as tomorrow is the first day of the kindergarten coop I've started. It'll mostly be free play with educational toys, but we are doing a structured learning activity at the beginning. I'm starting off with physics demonstrations/play as I figured that's a subject that differences in academic skills won't really matter, at their ages anyway.

I like your book club ideas. Do you mind a follow up question? How long did these various clubs last and why did they end?

Usually the book clubs end when the organizer's kid is too old/no longer interested. We did the mythology club/NME study group for four years before DD decided she was done, AG group was about 2 years, Harry Potter was just book 1 because most of the kids were pretty young for the later books, and so on. There is currently a similarly structured Percy Jackson group, but DD decided she wasn't interested-I think it's mostly the younger kids who were in the mythology club for the last year or so, but hadn't been in since the start.

I'm very thankful for the enrichment classes at our charter school, and all the other activities that they run. It has provided us with a fabulous network of homeschooling friends.

Summer camp has also been a really great experience for my oldest. He loves going each year.

Art classes, either at the museum, or with a local artist who does classes for homeschoolers

Visiting the science museum with friends. NOT science museum classes, as the material presented to her age group is a bad fit for her knowledge level.

Theatre

Dance

Fiddle

Aquarium camp

Zoo camp

Math circle