Menu

Advice? Spending Money on Curriculum

I have 2 daughters, the older is 2nd grade and the younger is Kindergarten. We've always been home schoolers. I'd like advice from others about knowing when to take the plunge with expensive curriculum. I feel worried about spending money on something when we don't have much but I need to balance that with my concern that a more expensive well developed program may be better for my kids.

When my oldest was in K, I spent (what I felt) was a huge amount of money on the Moving Beyond the Page K set and my daughter liked it and we did well for about three months. After that things went way downhill (for lots of reason) and I abandoned it. I wanted to keep the literature but we'd used a lot of the manual, tearing out the worksheet pages, so I couldn't really sell it. After this we took a Charlotte Mason route and I didn't buy any more pre-packaged curriculum, just books as we needed them and one-off curricula like BFSU or Getty-Dubay.

Now, two years on, for various reasons, I've been considering purchasing Shiller Math. It's expensive, in my opinion, but I really think it would work well for both of my kids, so I'd get more value there. I've been handling math so far with a combination of worksheets from MEP, reading Life of Fred, and little activities I've picked up on Pinterest for time, money, math fact games, etc. I've read a bunch of stuff that leads me to think my kids need a more orderly plan, but I'm not thrilled about just going whole hog into MEP. I understand how the lessons are set up, I'm in the yahoo group, I'm comfortable doing half the exercises, etc.

But I've been going the piecemeal route because both I and my kids find it soooooo repetitive. I really think we need something slightly more hands on, something slightly less repetitive, and something that lends itself better to shorter lessons. Also, the MEP/piecemeal route has been time intensive for me, printing things, setting up games and activities, researching stuff, etc. So, considering a program like Shiller is also meant to free me up to spend more time on other subjects. I was also considering going the route of books like Frank Hall or Ray's Arithmetic or Strayer-Upton but I think that would go well for my older daughter who is really more bookish than my younger daughter who is more movement and hands on oriented.

Anyway, my question really isn't about what Math to use. It's about how you know when it's worth it to plunk down a big chunk of change for a program. What criteria do you use to weigh the pros and cons of the purchase? We are aren't a no-budget family, I know some families make do with free resources because they absolutely have to. We are more of a low-budget family, where it's prudent to keep costs down, but what budget I have tends to be used for memberships to museums and arboretums and other experience type things. It's just that I want to stop spinning my wheels on math, but I don't want to make another mistake like MBTP was for us.

Thanks for your help.

Budget is a big factor. If I can find something inexpensive that will do the job, then that's what I do. If it's something I'm sure I cannot live without, then I save up for it.

Happily, there are materials that do a fine job that don't break the bank. Rod and Staff Publishers' traditional math series is excellent as well as economical. Miquon Math, which is a process math, is also excellent and economical. Both of those do require parent involvement, but neither one is a time sucker, so you wouldn't have to worry about freeing up time. :-)

I spent more on KONOS, which is Bible, history, geography, science, arts and crafts, drama, literature--everything except English skills and math. I guess I was willing to do that because it was multiple subjects in one fell swoop. I would find it hard to spend big bucks on single-subject product.

• Like 5

The most helpful thing I can say is that more expensive doesn't always mean better. It's not just that there are useable low cost options, sometimes the low cost options are better than the expensive options. 

I have found that sometimes holding the curriculum in my hands and being able to look through it to see how it progresses, what a full lesson looks like, etc. helps me know if I would like something or not. Samples usually aren't enough. I have encountered at least three curricula that I have realized I wouldn't want when I got to flip through the book. Do you have any local homeschool groups? If so, maybe you can see if someone owns a curriculum you are interested in and would let you come over and take a look at it. 

And if you do decide an expensive curriculum would be the best fit for your family... You can save up for it. You can see if you can find it used. You can consider the resale cost (making it more of a rental with a deposit than a purchase). 

• Like 3

Is there a local homeschool community where you are?  and a homeschool bookstore?  Before buying it is always nice to actually get your hands on the product.  Getting involved with other homeschoolers is so helpful too because they can give you feedback.  Our group lends a lot of items around too, which is such a blessing!  When it really comes down to it though, only you can decide if the program is worth the $$.  

I've had hits and misses.  We bought CLE this year, which wasn't overly pricey, but it's very workbooky and deep down I should have known it wasn't a good fit for us.  So it was wasted money.  The expensive Mosdos readers though?  Love them so much, they are worth every penny.  Same with BJU for math.  We love it and I would probably buy it even if the price doubled.  I wouldn't be too hard on yourself when something doesn't fit like you hoped it would.  It really is trial and error at some point.  Resell it, recoup some cost and keep moving. :)

• Like 3

Preferences for purchasing curriculum that might be more expensive than I normally want to pay:

1.  Can be used with more than one child.

2.  Has a solid reputation.

3.  I can go see it somewhere (convention, some other homeschooler, etc.) so that I can really LOOK at what I would be buying.

4.  Can be resold if it doesn't work out (this isn't mandatory but it sure helps going in) or there is some sort of money back guarantee if there is a poor fit (like with IEW).

5.  Is not a fad thing that just came out and has not really been tested yet.

6.  If it meets a very specialized need for a particular child.

7.  It LOOKS like it would be a good fit for my teaching/facilitating style and my students' learning styles.

8.  It is well laid out for a layman and cheaper than hiring a tutor if it is an area I need help teaching.

Example:  I bought Barton Reading and Spelling for my kids.  It is a pricey program but it met my criteria above.  A.  Can be used with multiple children.  B.  Has a solid reputation among many in the dyslexia community.  C.  Although I was unable to actually look at a level ahead of time, the website has a ton of information that helped me see more about the program before purchasing.  D. Resale value is incredibly high.  E.  It has been around and periodically updated for 16 years, so definitely not a fad.  F.  It is designed specifically for dyslexics so it meets a very specialized need for my children.  G.  It gives tons of support for the instructor and breaks things down really well for the student.  H.  It also saves us a lot of money.  Using Barton is thousands of dollars cheaper than hiring a dyslexia tutor for the long haul.  The levels don't have to be purchased all at once so the cost is spread out.  I can even tutor for money on the side using this program.  Absolutely worth the cost.

• Like 6

When considering curriculum with a big price tag I read as many reviews as possible. I read all the reviews. I spend many hours looking for sample pages, videos, blog posts, etc. Still I make mistakes. I return or resell at a loss. If I buy a curriculum that I am unsure of, I do not let my DD write in or use that curriculum until I am sure it is going to work. That said, I bought an expensive science kit/curriculum only to find that it was too easy for DD. I bought a thumb drive for math only to find she does not use it. I am an avid reseller on Amazon and eBay.

I spend a huge amounts of time looking for free stuff online. Homeschooling can get expensive fast. Use your public library to preview books.

• Like 1

Hmmm....I personally would not buy it unless you've seen it in person. So many times I ordered something only to send it back for a refund, and end up losing a lot of money on shipping and restocking fees.

For the most part the inexpensive workbooks and textbooks have been worth it.  For the most part anything that was a big package ended up being half unused and really wasting my money.  

Classes are worth it;  outside classes the kids enjoy that you cannot recreate at home such as gymnastics, ballet, judo, whatever.

super expensive Curriculum?  Not usually worth it.

• Like 4

I am willing to pay more for things that can be used with multiple children, save me a ton of time, and are multi-sensory and therefore likely to work for a variety of learning styles. I pay a lot for mbtp la because my son loves it, and I don't spend a lot in other areas for him. WRT Shiller, I had an inkling over a year ago that it would be perfect for dd. However, I reworked math mammoth instead, trying to stick with what I had. This summer I finally took the plunge with Shiller. She loves it, and math is now enjoyable. I probably would not have spent the $200 plus for the kit from RR, but I thought the virtual kit was reasonable enough to be worth it. It is $85 at CBD. http://www.christianbook.com/shiller-math-virtual-kit-i/pd/10408AC?product_redirect=1&Ntt=10408AC&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP.

I do try to use inexpensive or free when they are as good or nearly as good as whatever I would buy if price were no object: Hoffman Academy compared to lessons, $5 bfsu ebook vs formal curricula or starting from scratch diy, math mammoth vs Singapore or MIF. That allows me to splurge on the other things without feeling guilty.

• Like 2

I find that math is the most important program to invest in.  I can teach history and science off of pinterest and a library card if I had to.  I can get inexpensive grammar workbooks and read quality literature.  The pricey unit studies of history and literature are just packages where the planning was done for you.  But math isn't something I want to plan or have an insufficient program for.  If you think Shiller would be a good fit and a good investment down the road, I'd do it.  The next thing I'd invest in is quality phonics and writing instruction.  The skills are the most important, imho.  Subjects can be explored at the library, but skills come first.  After that, I invest in my priorities and to make up for weaknesses or enrichment areas. 

• Like 9

When I can, I order one piece of something expensive to see how it works for us. For example, I bought just Grammar Island to see how it fit for us before going on to ordering the rest of the level, because MCT is so expensive.

When that's not a possibility, I check the return policy and the resale value. If I can return it for no more than the cost of shipping, and I really think it will work, then it's worth the risk to me. Alternatively, if we use it for a while and then it stops working (and is not consumable), I want to know if I'm likely to get a majority of my money back on resale.

Resale value made buying both MCT and RightStart Math more feasible for me. When we were done, I got a large chunk of my money back.

• Like 2

Is there a local homeschool community where you are? and a homeschool bookstore? Before buying it is always nice to actually get your hands on the product. Getting involved with other homeschoolers is so helpful too because they can give you feedback. Our group lends a lot of items around too, which is such a blessing! When it really comes down to it though, only you can decide if the program is worth the $$.

Several of you mentioned that I need to see it. I believe you all there. I did see Shiller briefly at the SEA Homeschoolers convention in Virginia last April, but I wasn't sure at the time because I hadn't yet thought more deeply about Math, though I did have an initially positive feeling about it but I had to rush on to get to a session. Then I didn't buy it because I wanted to read reviews and not have it be an impulse buy, and I didn't realize how good the convention pricing was, it was my first time at any convention.

I actually live in the Philly metro area though, and I timed a family trip to Colonial Williamsburg to coincide with the convention. I have asked around to see if any of my Philly people use Shiller but so far no one has said yes. We don't have a homeschool bookstore here and the next conference I can get to will likely be next year in April.

So, that's that. Now my mom lives in a part of North Carolina where there is a homeschool bookstore and I'll be visiting her in December so maybe I can do that.

• Like 2

Apart from the advice given above, I would venture to say that most people who are home educating for any length of time are likely, at some point, to pay for some curriculum, equipment, class or activity that doesn't end up being the optimum use of funds. No matter how well you research, plan, and consider everything, resources can still turn out to be a bad fit, for all sorts of reasons. (Or they can be a good fit but you later find out that you could have obtained something just as good for little or no cost!) It happens. But don't let the small chance that it's not the best choice hold you back from buying something that you believe is likely to be worthwhile.

• Like 7

Preferences for purchasing curriculum that might be more expensive than I normally want to pay:

1. Can be used with more than one child.

2. Has a solid reputation.

3. I can go see it somewhere (convention, some other homeschooler, etc.) so that I can really LOOK at what I would be buying.

4. Can be resold if it doesn't work out (this isn't mandatory but it sure helps going in) or there is some sort of money back guarantee if there is a poor fit (like with IEW).

5. Is not a fad thing that just came out and has not really been tested yet.

6. If it meets a very specialized need for a particular child.

7. It LOOKS like it would be a good fit for my teaching/facilitating style and my students' learning styles.

8. It is well laid out for a layman and cheaper than hiring a tutor if it is an area I need help teaching.

Thanks. This sort of list is exactly what I needed. Just some criteria to help me weigh the pros and cons.

1. Yes I can use for more than one child IF willing to buy a second consumable workbook.

2. ? I have seen good posts about Shiller here but it seems like it isn't a well-known product.

3. Have briefly seen it (see comment immediately before this one) but wasn't evaluating it for our family at the time. Will potentially be a long time before I can see again.

4. Can return within 30 days, but have not seen resale value yet. Where would I look to learn about this? I do not trust that 30 days would be long enough for us to know. When we used MBTP (see original post) it was several months before I worked stuff out.

5. I don't think Shiller could be considered a fad, and it's principles are heavily Montessori based which are definitely not new.

6. Not applicable in this situation. I'm also working on a hunch.

7. See answer to 3. There's a fun aspect to it with songs, not so many manipulatives I'd be overwhelmed but enough to keep things interesting. I could tell from when I saw it that we'd do it in 20-25 min a day or less which is my goal time amount. I also liked that I'd no longer be printing and evaluating each day's lesson to see which bits to use or cut. Of course, I'd still plan on a weekly or bi-weekly basis if there were lessons we needed to add to or could skip, but I'd be cutting my prep time down considerably. That's a big plus for mom, but I'm not sure what that means for the kids.

8. I did get the sense it was and there are reports on this board of good customer support.

So, looking back on this list I feel like I've moved from nervous/unsure to feeling positive but still needing a little more research. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I am willing to pay more for things that can be used with multiple children, save me a ton of time, and are multi-sensory and therefore likely to work for a variety of learning styles. I pay a lot for mbtp la because my son loves it, and I don't spend a lot in other areas for him. WRT Shiller, I had an inkling over a year ago that it would be perfect for dd. However, I reworked math mammoth instead, trying to stick with what I had. This summer I finally took the plunge with Shiller. She loves it, and math is now enjoyable. I probably would not have spent the $200 plus for the kit from RR, but I thought the virtual kit was reasonable enough to be worth it. It is $85 at CBD. http://www.christianbook.com/shiller-math-virtual-kit-i/pd/10408AC?product_redirect=1&Ntt=10408AC&item_code=&Ntk=keywords&event=ESRCP.

If it's ok with you, I'd like to PM and ask more questions.

Apart from the advice given above, I would venture to say that most people who are home educating for any length of time are likely, at some point, to pay for some curriculum, equipment, class or activity that doesn't end up being the optimum use of funds. No matter how well you research, plan, and consider everything, resources can still turn out to be a bad fit, for all sorts of reasons. (Or they can be a good fit but you later find out that you could have obtained something just as good for little or no cost!) It happens. But don't let the small chance that it's not the best choice hold you back from buying something that you believe is likely to be worthwhile.

Thanks. That's a good perspective that I guess I haven't learned yet just due to inexperience. MBTP was a sore lesson for me though.

I spend money when one of the following is true:

-I am crunched for time (none of my children are really able to be combined, and my time is limited with a larger family) and money buys me time.  This is why I started buying Pandia Press's history programs about three years ago, because it writes out all the assignments for me.  It takes me a few minutes each year to do a little tweaking or to make helpful notes, but that's nothing compared to hours spent creating assignments, especially as they get later into the middle grades and need to do more digging.

-I want to make sure I cover all bases in a systematic way that fits my child just right.  I started using Saxon math for my oldest because I wanted something systematic, and then when my second child showed interest in math, I asked here what people would recommend for a math-oriented kid, regardless of cost.  Everyone recommended Singapore, so I started buying that for him in about second grade.  Money well spent.  It does save me some time over finding and/or creating my own worksheets and whatnot.  I bought AOPS for the older two for this year because there's no way I'm going to put that together myself.  But then I am using MEP with my third child because it's a good fit for him, and it's free, so it really depends on what fits the child.

-I'm out of my league and/or want to make sure things get done.  Science is not my favorite subject, and it's easy for me to put it off.  I've put my own things together for science for years, but I did buy a biology program for my oldest for high school.  I also bought a program for my second grader this year because I knew that if I bought something, I would be more likely to make sure it gets done.  I bought Pandia Press's elementary life science this year, and sure enough, because I paid for it, and because it's very easy to implement, we're doing it and loving it.  I also add a lot of library book supplements.  Otoh, I haven't found a need to buy something for my sixth grader for science, and library books are working just fine.

Free stuff has worked great for us for grammar, but aside from a couple of lit guides, I have not bought a literature program, even for high school.  (This may change next year when we are doing lit from a time period with which I'm not as familiar.)

I'm not a high budget homeschooler, nor am I a no budget homeschooler.  At some point,  you will pay in either time or money, IMO.  I would call myself a medium-lowish budget homeschooler, but I am quite good at deals.  I spend a ton less than the stuff I use is actually worth.  I'm willing to use slightly older editions a lot of times, and I watch for sales.  I bought DD's biology program last October when I found a good deal on what I wanted, and I buy Pandia Press's stuff when they have a huge sale at Black Friday, even though I won't need it until the following school year.  I watch Amazon and homeschoolclassifieds.com and try to keep a little money on hand for good deals when I find them.  I also use my libraries a ton, and I occasionally use things from our homeschool group's lending library for free.  Tracking stuff down does probably cost me some time, but it saves me tons of money.

So, look for free stuff, but if it's not right, or it's taking you too much time, then I think sometimes you just have to find a way to buy what you need.

I think Shiller math's high price is partially due to all the manipulatives, which is why I wanted to chime in and say that although I spent some time cobbling together handmade and ready manipulatives during my first two years of teaching math, it turns out that spending money on manipulatives is one thing that has never been a waste in my house. We play with them and use them for games and activities even outside of Math Lesson Time.

I have purchased one art program I considered a bit out of our price range, but I spent months waiting to find it priced attractively on Ebay, and I found it was a lot less expensive to buy the art supplies piecemeal than to get them in the package price, where you pay for convenience. Sometimes I am willing to pay for convenience, but I don't find online comparison shopping for homeschool to be a major hassle.

I'm looking at Shiller for us too. It looks like a great program, but that price tag hurts.

Last night I sat down and listed all the components of the full package. Crossed out the ones included in the virtual pack and any we already have (like dice and dominoes), and priced out the rest on Amazon/Rainbow Resource.

It brought the total cost down to around $120, which is workable, in my opinion. Even adding in printing costs, it is significantly cheaper than buying the kit. It will take more time to set up, but I have more time than I do money.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

We have Shiller. I used it for 1.5 books. However for my son (a very reluctant learner) it wasn't a perfect fit. We are keeping onto the books for our younger son to see if it will work for him. I would rather have it and not need it then to sell it KWIM?

I really liked the program and thought it was solid. However I think that my son needed more repetition and so therefore it wasn't a good fit for him. Odd too since we went to it from Singapore Standards and that had TOO much repetition for him. I guess my son needed goldielocks! It is an easy program to use and to implement. It did help my son focus and gave me ideas on how to deal with some of his challenges. 

I think it would be a good program for VERY visual learners who don't need a ton of repetition or who have a teacher that is willing to supplement if needed. When I started with Miquan it was intended to just supplement but he did so well at it, we stopped Shiller all together. However if we would have went from Singapore to Miquan, it would have been too much for my son. Shiller is VERY gentle and that is honestly what my son needed at the time. My son loved the program, and often said he would use it when he home schools his own children one day. I should also say that I had my father in law (PhD in Artificial Intelligence) look at Shiller and he thought it was a GREAT program. He came at it from his background and knowing what an engineer would need and knowing that my son wants to go into automotive engineering. 

So I have mixed feelings on the program. I don't hate it like I do Singapore. I would go back to it if I thought it would help my son. It just wasn't perfect for my son... if there is such a thing. 

I have always bought what I thought I for sure needed. I haven't always bought things that sounded good and that I wanted to right away, and have made do with free or cheaper resources lots of time after I have bought the bulk of my curriculum and needed to stop buying. I often find something that will do at a thrift store or on my shelf or at the library. But that is usually after the core subjects. I buy math, English, spelling, Latin, history, and science every year that I want. I may not buy all of the supplementary stuff to go with it that I want, but I make sure I get those. I would not put together math on my own. I would do what you are doing as supplements and buy what I wanted there. It is something that needs to be done everyday, and I want the planning done for me.

I have spent more than I like lots of times. For me it is often on Science. I find it easier to do science through co-op, which often means that I buy an expensive textbook of their choosing and am subject to their syllabus and timelines. But we are at co-op anyway, and it saves me the planning and the bulk of the work on labs since they do them there. My kids do well with that timeline that they get there and get their work done. So even though I wouild prefer a different text or some more freedom in science than just do the textbook in this order on this week, and turn in this work, the pros outweigh the cons for me. . Even though I have books on my shelf that would cover the same materials without having to shell out for the new text each year...

I have discovered another resource this year that really appeals to one of my dds and me. And it isn't cheap really. I could put stuff together and cover the same materials more cheaply. But she really responds to the materials and is flourishing and loves it. So it is worth it to me again to spend that extra bit of money and to save me the time of putting together a bit more cheaply the same type of things.

My reasons don't apply to you. You'll have to decide if something is worth it.

So, I called the homeschool store close to my mom in NC. It's a re-sale store. We'll be visiting in December. They said they get copies in occasionally and said if they get one before I come they'll call me. I can have mom drive over. I've decided thus to wait. If they don't get one before I leave then I'll decide what I want to do at that point.

Edited by bwdiaz
  • Like 2

Is there a local homeschool community where you are? and a homeschool bookstore? Before buying it is always nice to actually get your hands on the product. Getting involved with other homeschoolers is so helpful too because they can give you feedback. Our group lends a lot of items around too, which is such a blessing! When it really comes down to it though, only you can decide if the program is worth the $$.

I've had hits and misses. We bought CLE this year, which wasn't overly pricey, but it's very workbooky and deep down I should have known it wasn't a good fit for us. So it was wasted money. The expensive Mosdos readers though? Love them so much, they are worth every penny. Same with BJU for math. We love it and I would probably buy it even if the price doubled. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself when something doesn't fit like you hoped it would. It really is trial and error at some point. Resell it, recoup some cost and keep moving. :)

Jess4879, can you tell me how you're using Mosdos? Do you just have the readers? Are you using it *with* CLE? I'm looking into the sixth grade level but I'm wondering if just the reader will be sufficient for our purposes. I can't tell enough about it from the online samples!

Sorry OP, not trying to derail your topic. Just trying to figure out the ever present question of 'Is this worth my money?' :)

• 10 months later...

I just wanted to update this story. I started this thread almost a year ago.

I did end up buying Shiller but it took until the VA Homeschoolers convention again this year. The homeschool store by my mom in NC never got one, and I missed most of the big PA conventions by me during the last year. So I bought it almost a year after I first saw it and around 6 months after we discussed it here.

I love it. Luuuuuuuurve it. I'm so happy both with my purchase and with how the Math is going for my kids. I only wish I'd bought it sooner but you never know for sure, right? It could have been an expensive flop.

I'm not sure if I'm any wiser about spending money on expensive curricula. As it is I'm dragging my feet on MCT grammar, LOL, unlike Shiller though I haven't seen it, I just have a hunch. But I do appreciate all the wisdom you guys shared upthread. It gave me a lot to think about in terms of my financial and schooling priorities and I've returned to this thread several times to remind myself of my thought process. Thank you.

• Like 8

I just wanted to update this story. I started this thread almost a year ago.

I did end up buying Shiller but it took until the VA Homeschoolers convention again this year. The homeschool store by my mom in NC never got one, and I missed most of the big PA conventions by me during the last year. So I bought it almost a year after I first saw it and around 6 months after we discussed it here.

I love it. Luuuuuuuurve it. I'm so happy both with my purchase and with how the Math is going for my kids. I only wish I'd bought it sooner but you never know for sure, right? It could have been an expensive flop.

I'm not sure if I'm any wiser about spending money on expensive curricula. As it is I'm dragging my feet on MCT grammar, LOL, unlike Shiller though I haven't seen it, I just have a hunch. But I do appreciate all the wisdom you guys shared upthread. It gave me a lot to think about in terms of my financial and schooling priorities and I've returned to this thread several times to remind myself of my thought process. Thank you.

This is such a great update. Shiller seems awesome but I am someone who thinks Montessori based math teaching in the early years is both superior (and fun!)

I would also add, for anyone who sees this thread later, there are programs within homeschool communities that give stipends. Our co-op gives $650 per kid per year to spend on either curriculum extra curriculars or a mix. As a family that gives us $1950 per year so I rarely need to spend out of my own pocket. They also have a library full of curriculum and books to borrow or look through. I watched the IEW seminar since they had it for example. This allows me to go with my gut a bit more without it being a fail and coming out of our household budget.

For people without that option, I find craigslist and offer up to be a homeschool mecca. Sometimes people just want to clear stuff out so I have purchased people's boxes of curriculum. I picked up one huge lot that had all of the SOTW with guides, all of the NOEO science and kits with only 2 experiments used, 3 levels of RS with manipulatives, Saxon 2, Prairie Primer, BFSU, Spelling Power and a whole lot of other stuff for $45 bucks. Even if it has levels that my kids won't be in for ages I still will grab it if it is a super deal. I put away what I want and I give the rest away for free to homeschoolers I know who are looking for it or in need. I have found some of my most favorite curriculum and books that way. Some I hadn't considered until then. :) If you saw my shelves you would think I had a curriculum spending issue but I am frugal and I stockpile ;)

Good for you!!!

I use some expensive curricula(MCT, LoE, BA) and some that are super cheap  (Saxon Books, WWE, SoTW, WWS- all bought used).

My strategy is:

1- Comb through reviews, check out in person if at all possible. 

2-Sit on it for awhile, so many times I think I want something but if I wait for a bit I change my mind

3-If I still really feel it is the best choice after careful consideration I look for it used and watch prices for awhile

Just today I got in VideoText Algebra, it has been on my wish list for oh, 2 yrs. I've thought it would be great for my son and I would have long since tried it if it wasn't for the price. Finally, I decided to just take the plunge as we are finishing up AoPS pre-A and have really felt hesitant about using their Algebra. I bought a used copy on ebay. We start tomorrow, time will tell but I know that I needed to at least try it.

There are always curriculum flops, sometimes even programs that I carefully consider doesn't work out like I think it would but it seems those are less frequent the more I'm at this (although I don't imagine I'll ever get to the point where I never buy any duds). Sometimes my best choices were quick decisions on the fly. SWB's curricula are cheap and easy and have worked well (except for FLL1- he was just too young). 

I have saved so much money purchasing used curriculum.  For example, the only way I was willing to try MCT is because I found it used for a good price.  It was just too much money up front for something I wasn't sure about.  I primarily shop at Homeschool Classifieds, the classfieds here, Amazon and Ebay.  I also shop at a local used homeschool sale in my area.  I tend to only purchase curriculum used if I can get a significant discount, if not, then I purchase new.  I feel like if you can find something for a good price, it makes it easier to take a chance on something.  

I do try to look at things in person when I am at a convention or Mardel's because many time just seeing it in person makes it really clear if it is something I will like.  I agree with the above poster that no matter how careful you are, there are eventually going to be some things that don't work for one reason or another and that is part of the process.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've made big purchases that were worth it and big purchases that were flops. My curriculum closet is like a mini-homeschool convention. 😂 But part of buying flops is learning what kind of teacher you are, and teacher education is worth paying for, right? That said, if it's a choice of expensive curriculum or food on the table, always choose food on the table. ;)

So glad your purchase was a good one!

Edited by boscopup
  • Like 1

I like curriculum that is very open and go and doesn't require a bunch of different components to make it work. Not only is it most efficient, it tends to be less expensive, too.

I also think carefully about whether I actually need to buy the teacher's guide. For example, handwriting workbook. Do I really need a teacher's guide for that? No! Student workbook is good enough. Spelling. Do I need a teacher's guide? No! She does the workbook exercises and then I give her a test on the words. I don't need a teacher's guide to see if she spelled everything correctly. Can I buy an answer key separately? Usually a lot less expensive than the TG. For math I buy the textbook, workbook, and answer key. Don't need the TG. I think the textbook does a pretty good job of explaining the concepts. 

Can't get by without the TG for Rod & Staff grammar, but it is non-consumable so I don't have to spend anything additional for second child.

Also, do I need to buy the DVD component? So far I never have (until this year - we bought Math Without Borders USB which was very affordable compared to other DVD math programs out there). 

I also like to buy workbooks in PDF form if available. Sometimes they are more expensive than the hard copy from Amazon or Rainbow Resource, but cheaper in the long run than buying workbooks for multiple students. 

I am willing to pay more for things that save me time. Sure, I could save money by creating things on my own, but since I work part time too, I don't have time to do all of that. 

Price is always a huge factor for me in curriculum decisions, and so far I have always been able to find a less expensive option that does everything I want. 

For me it's when....

A).   My cobbled together lessons don't seem to be doing the job....

OR

B).  Cobbling together the lessons seem to be taking so much time/effort that it would be worth the money to me to have something pre-made

AND

C)  I have found something that seems to really fit our needs/solve the problems not being fixed by what I'm doing

AND

D) We have the money for it. 

Before I purchase anything {small chunk or large chunk} I look extensively at:

• The samples. Most companies {these days} provide enough sample to actually use the curriculum for a 2 week period or so. If they don't, I'm often one to close the box & move on.

• I look at the items required & if it comes as part of the package price.

• I look at shipping. International shipping can either be "okay" or horrific. 

• If this is a curriculum that has a guide & lots of lit that goes with it I pull up those books on Amazon {or from my library} & read as much of the sample as provided in order to get a feel for things. often the literature choices can tell you if the curriculum will fit your tastes or not.

There are still times when, after the purchase, small components don't mesh well for us. This happened recently with one item/subject out of a "boxed curriculum" we purchased for our 10th grader. That didn't bother me, because I could lay that one item aside & still use the rest. Funny thing is, it's the ONLY portion I did not follow my own rules about! 

I have 2 daughters, the older is 2nd grade and the younger is Kindergarten. We've always been home schoolers. I'd like advice from others about knowing when to take the plunge with expensive curriculum. I feel worried about spending money on something when we don't have much but I need to balance that with my concern that a more expensive well developed program may be better for my kids.

When my oldest was in K, I spent (what I felt) was a huge amount of money on the Moving Beyond the Page K set and my daughter liked it and we did well for about three months. After that things went way downhill (for lots of reason) and I abandoned it. I wanted to keep the literature but we'd used a lot of the manual, tearing out the worksheet pages, so I couldn't really sell it. After this we took a Charlotte Mason route and I didn't buy any more pre-packaged curriculum, just books as we needed them and one-off curricula like BFSU or Getty-Dubay.

Now, two years on, for various reasons, I've been considering purchasing Shiller Math. It's expensive, in my opinion, but I really think it would work well for both of my kids, so I'd get more value there. I've been handling math so far with a combination of worksheets from MEP, reading Life of Fred, and little activities I've picked up on Pinterest for time, money, math fact games, etc. I've read a bunch of stuff that leads me to think my kids need a more orderly plan, but I'm not thrilled about just going whole hog into MEP. I understand how the lessons are set up, I'm in the yahoo group, I'm comfortable doing half the exercises, etc.

But I've been going the piecemeal route because both I and my kids find it soooooo repetitive. I really think we need something slightly more hands on, something slightly less repetitive, and something that lends itself better to shorter lessons. Also, the MEP/piecemeal route has been time intensive for me, printing things, setting up games and activities, researching stuff, etc. So, considering a program like Shiller is also meant to free me up to spend more time on other subjects. I was also considering going the route of books like Frank Hall or Ray's Arithmetic or Strayer-Upton but I think that would go well for my older daughter who is really more bookish than my younger daughter who is more movement and hands on oriented.

Anyway, my question really isn't about what Math to use. It's about how you know when it's worth it to plunk down a big chunk of change for a program. What criteria do you use to weigh the pros and cons of the purchase? We are aren't a no-budget family, I know some families make do with free resources because they absolutely have to. We are more of a low-budget family, where it's prudent to keep costs down, but what budget I have tends to be used for memberships to museums and arboretums and other experience type things. It's just that I want to stop spinning my wheels on math, but I don't want to make another mistake like MBTP was for us.

Thanks for your help.

IMO, your oldest is in second grade.  You could do nothing and it's a viable option.  I've posted links on intentionally delaying math before.  Check out Teaching the Trivium website if you are interested.

My goal before 3rd grade is getting a child reading - lay a solid foundation.  Read aloud a LOT.  Have conversations.

None of this is expensive and, IMO, and seventeen years of experience, spending a small fortune on much of anything before 5th grade other than experiences (think zoo or museum membership) and an extensive book collection or gas money for the library is an utter waste.

I didn't read all the replies, so it might have already been stated, but if I were working with a tight budget I would get familiar with how homeschoolers use a consumable curriculum without consuming it, what the going rate of resale is, and what venues there are for reselling.  That way, if it turns out to not be as good a fit as I had hoped, I could get some money back for it. The nice thing about this approach is it can applied to a wide range of homeschool curriculum and materials.