Menu

Help...Question about Windows To The World Lit Analysis

We plan to do Ancients for 9th grade next year.  I have already secured our literature selections to go along with history.  However, what I need to know is if I could use WTTW with our own Lit selections, or would that be too difficult?

If I can't, does anyone know of a good, generic instructional text I could apply to our literature class?  Right now I'm using Walch Toolbox Prose & Poetry with the Hobbit, and it's working pretty well.  However, I'd like to go much deeper next year.  Any suggestions? TIA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windows to the World is completely synched to go with the 6 short stories that the program focuses on. While you will be able to use the concepts of annotation, how to write a literary analysis, and the literary devices covered with any other literature, that would be AFTER using WttW, as a result of having practiced all of those concepts with the exercises and assignments designed to go with the specific short stories in WttW.

Teaching the Classics shows you how to do Socratic discussion with literature.

Reader's Odyssey shows you how to set up your literature program with your own selection of lit.

How to Read Like a Professor for Kids, and then How to Read Like a Professor shows you things to look for as you read classic lit.

You might also look for good lit. guides and resources to go with individual works of literature. Examples:

Gilgamesh = page of resources from Mister Dann; 7 Sisters lit. guide

The Iliad = Memoria Press resources; Teaching Company: Great Courses: The Iliad lectures by Vandiver

The Odyssey = Garlic Press Discovering Literature: Challenger level lit. guide; Penguin lit. guide

Plato's Republic = 7 Sisters lit. guide

Julius Caesar (Shakespeare) = Penguin lit. guide

plays of Sophocles = Penguin lit. guide

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

We did WttW as written during the first 26 weeks of our Ancients year, and then applied the techniques learned to the works we read after that using EiL. We didn't have all that much Ancient literature we were interested in reading anyway (I know, bad WTM'er right ;) ) so it ended up working out really well timing-wise for us. We read The Odyssey and Julius Caesar and a kids version of Gilgamesh and called it good.