Menu

What careers for people with slow processing

I'm trying to figure out what my careers my daughter might thrive in down the road. She had a brain tumor and now she has slow processing, add inattentive, some weakness on left side of body and poor short term memory (especially verbal memory).She hates getting dirty, is not competitive at all and scored VERY low in math.

oK now the more positive: she loves animals and taking care of them, loves little kids, scored well in social, writing and reading skills. She is VERY social, loves to sing, dance, collect rocks and snuggling/caring for her cat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that no one responded to this, and your daughter reminds me of my own.

Like your daughter, mine struggles with processing, attention, coordination, and calculations, yet she is loving and considerate. She also speaks very clearly and projects well, which older people appreciate, so she began volunteering at our local nursing home several years ago. I stayed nearby in the activity room for extra supervision and support. She took all of her orders from the activity director who was especially understanding.

Not long ago, at age 21, she was hired as the Activity Aide one brief shift each week. She even "clocks in" with a staff card and takes her lunch break in the staff break room. This was her dream since she turned 13. She is thrilled.

As for this:

she loves animals and taking care of them, loves little kids, scored well in social, writing and reading skills. She is VERY social, loves to sing, dance, collect rocks and snuggling/caring for her cat...

This is wonderful! If your daughter is not bothered by noise and sensory stimulation, she might also do well volunteering in a small preschool. If you let the director know that your daughter does not like to get dirty, perhaps they could have her assist in areas that do not involve outdoor play, fingerpaint, etc.

We have a local church friend with brain injury and related special needs who volunteers at a local early childhood program during the school year. This young woman cannot have children, so this also helps satisfy her maternal inclinations. The arrangement works well for this girl and for the program.

Or perhaps your daughter could begin by volunteering at an animal shelter? After she proves herself gentle and helpful, this might become a more long-term situation for her.

For suggestions beyond this, consider Developing Talents by Temple Grandin. You would need only the sections on those specific recommendations for young adults with slow processing, so maybe you could find this at the library, rather than invest in the entire book.

The best to her ... and good for you for seeking ways your daughter can serve, in areas she enjoys!

Cheryl

Simply Classical: A Beautiful Education for Any Child

• Like 4