Menu

Her brain is mush (JAWM/vent)

It finally happened to dd#3. She's bright and engaging, but she is deep in the hormonal fog if tween-hood.

Today, it is Latin. She has absolute no clue how to form the present tense of a first conjugation verb after years of Latin. We are going through her Lesson 13 test and she is insisting that the stem vowel isn't always there for imperfect and future tenses. She couldn't list the personal endings, the imperfect tense sign (even though we went over this just yesterday as a review).

Frequent staring off in space in other subjects is also starting to creep into her daily routine.

I remember this happening with the others, but I wasn't mentally prepared for it to hit this hard and this early.

I will have to decide if I just keep chugging on Latin or if I start her back over at the beginning of First Form. (Is this a temporary memory loss or would she do better starting over to better solidify her base?) I suspect both are true.

Math has been hit, but not as badly. I told her to go lay down and as soon as the weather clears up, I will send her out to run.

Nap, exercise, nutrition. I just have to get my next kid through this. Sigh. (So not looking forward to the boy version of this either!)

• Like 6

I find it annoying when you have plans for school only to discover a mushy brain. We often blame a teddy bear that for some reason is called, "Zombie Frog". 

I have stuff Eldest is suppose to do today for an outside online class, but his brain is mush. It is also usually a no-school day, just piano and library event. But he is behind in his online class since it is based in the USA and didn't consider Monday a holiday. (Monday in most of Canada is Thanksgiving)

I'm not sure how I'm going to get him through it. I am also going dancing this evening so we have to get it done by 5. 

• Like 1

If it helps any, I have found so far that it's just certain days here and there, not EVERY day. So it's probably temporary memory loss. Maybe tomorrow she'll know the Latin again. For now, just take a break or help her through. The only good thing about boys going through it is that it hits later (11 or 12 with mine so far).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. She couldn't remember how many hours in a day this afternoon, so definitely one of those days.

I don't remember it being this bad with the first two. (Well, maybe with #1. #2 is no academic, so I might have really believed she didn't know anything rather than chalk it up to hormonal brain fog.)

Edited by RootAnn

I have a friend that likes to say they all become Stooopid when they turn 11.  :lol:  

I'm so glad she told me about that when my oldest was 10. Now I can look at a suddenly clueless pre-teen and laugh, when I really want to bang my head against the wall and throw things.

I'm sorry it hit early. Maybe she'll grow out of it early too?

• Like 1

Thanks guys. She couldn't remember how many hours in a day this afternoon, so definitely one of those days.

Ok, that just reminded me of a funny story...

When I was a Senior in high school, it was the end of the school year, and my brain was fried with AP chem and AP calculus practice tests. One day my chemistry teacher was reviewing stuff, and she mentioned the boiling point of water at 100 degrees. I had this amazing insight, and my hand shot up... "So you really can cook an egg outside on a hot day??" 

She just looked and looked at me, and finally said, "100 degrees Celsius."  :lol:

That kinda burst my bubble. I was thinking how cool it would be to just go outside and crack an egg on a sidewalk when it was 110 outside. Then I remembered what would happen to me if I went outside and it really was the boiling point of water out there.

I have no idea why it feels so good to hear others say this. I've survived two teen girls already, so I should be a pro, but DD12's brain fog JUST hit and it's killing me. She will actually be 12 in two weeks and in terms of physical maturity is waaaay behind where my older girls were at 12, but her mushy brain seems to have arrived right on time. Alas, teaching her Algebra 1 and Physical Science, which seemed like such a good idea several months ago, might now be the death of me.

• Like 3

But he is behind in his online class since it is based in the USA and didn't consider Monday a holiday. (Monday in most of Canada is Thanksgiving)

All the public schools around here had off for Columbus Day Monday. I guess that's not universal in the US.

That kinda burst my bubble. I was thinking how cool it would be to just go outside and crack an egg on a sidewalk when it was 110 outside.

Well, if it's any consolation, the temperature of the sidewalk - or, especially, of the road! - is often much hotter than the air temperature. So you can cook eggs outside on hot days, and I've done it.

• Like 1

We're in the middle of brain mush too. 

Strangely, it doesn't affect practical tasks. Just thinking ones!

I feel your pain.

For whatever unknown reason, my almost 12 year old has the opposite of this -- academics are fine, no problem there. It's the practical stuff that has been hit. I keep reminding her, she keeps saying, "Oh, yeah! I forgot."

A month ago, she went downstairs to soak her bathing suit in the utility sink in the laundry room. About two hours later, I went down to switch out a load of laundry, and discovered that she had left the hot (not cold) water turned on.

Yeah.

It was only about two or three inches deep across only half the floor, so not too bad. :leaving:

• Like 1

For whatever unknown reason, my almost 12 year old has the opposite of this -- academics are fine, no problem there. It's the practical stuff that has been hit. I keep reminding her, she keeps saying, "Oh, yeah! I forgot."

A month ago, she went downstairs to soak her bathing suit in the utility sink in the laundry room. About two hours later, I went down to switch out a load of laundry, and discovered that she had left the hot (not cold) water turned on.

Yeah.

It was only about two or three inches deep across only half the floor, so not too bad. :leaving:

Oh no! That's reeeally bad!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

My 12 year old girl has never been a math genius but she scored well enough in 5th grade to qualify for the accelerated math track in middle school. Her brain is gone to mush since though. She will seemingly understand a concept, and apply it well one day. Then she is presented with a similar problem the following day and she is looking like she has never ever seen anything like it. She gets an explanation again, understands the concept, applies it well again, only for the whole scenario to repeat itself again the following day! It is maddening! I had heard about this phenomenon but I had never experienced it with my older daughter.

Her bedroom used to be so tidy and she used to be so well organized and now her room is a mess! I miss my little girl! She used to be so much easier to live with!

• Like 2