What's with the ads?

#1 egao_gakari

egao_gakari

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

Any news about it? It's been a while since I last saw any announcements. Would love an alternative to the other logic stage grammar options, none of which look like they'll be taken well by my older kid…

Sent from my SCL23 using Tapatalk
  • loesje22000 and peaceful isle like this

#2 Susan Wise Bauer

Susan Wise Bauer

The Overmind

• Administrators
  • 1531 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:18 AM

It's finished...and in production! Don't have an actual publication date yet but I will keep the board posted on its progress.

#3 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36658 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:37 AM

oh man...you are killing me

I wanted so badly to use it when I needed it because we had such great success with the other books. 

#4 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

I'm glad to hear it! I have second grader moving steadily toward the current cliff at the end of FLL 4. Sounds like she will be saved the grammar-flailing my olders went through.

#5 elroisees

elroisees

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1856 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hurray!

#6 redsquirrel

redsquirrel

The Stuff of Legends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11907 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

Oh dear....decisions, decisions... I've R&S in the house from my last kid, and it went well....but R&S is so dreary.

#7 Heather in VA

Heather in VA

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

It's finished...and in production! Don't have an actual publication date yet but I will keep the board posted on its progress.

This is the BEST news!! 

#8 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:22 PM

I am so excited!! My son Jack used FLL 4 last year. He told me today about his new English course "Mom, I'm glad we did FLL last year. If not, I would be so lost right now. "

Thanks for your hard work 💕

#9 Butter

Butter

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5892 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

So sad that it'll be too late for my 5th grader (he's thriving in Rod & Staff, though, so it's all good), but happy I still have my 3rd grader and he'll need ALL in a couple years!

#10 abrightmom

abrightmom

Iron Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

AWESOME.  :hurray:

• lexi likes this

#11 Heather in VA

Heather in VA

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:23 PM

Does anyone know what 'in production' means in terms of guessing a release date? I don't want to ask SWB because anything she says will be taken as gospel. But for those who have an idea of how this kind of thing works, does this mean it seems reasonable for it to be ready for 2017-2018? Sooner? Later? Guesses?

#12 Sahamamama2

Sahamamama2

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

Is it directed to the student?

In the transition from WWE to WWS, we were thrilled that WWS is directed to the student. It was time (for both of us) for that change to take place. So that worked out well.

With FLL, we all reached a point where we simply maxed out our patience for grammar to be so heavily teacher-directed. All the teaching was in the teacher text, more or less, and every little thing was teacher-directed... to the point of dread. (sorry)

For all three of my girls, we moved on to CLE LA, just to have some breathing room with grammar. But I admit that there are some aspects of FLL that I do miss. My students do not miss it, though. They enjoy the relative independence of CLE, and I like the fact that the teaching is directed to the students.

So... Advanced Language Lessons will be directed to the student, yes?

Edited by Sahamamama2, 11 October 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#13 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

Why doesn't SWB have a like button???

#14 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3249 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:26 AM

Why doesn't SWB have a like button???

Posts made by forum moderators cannot be "liked".

#15 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

Posts made by forum moderators cannot be "liked".

I've noticed. But it still annoys me. Sometimes I want to give them a thumbs up.

Edited by TKDmom, 13 October 2016 - 08:49 AM.

• nansk likes this

#16 aprilleigh

aprilleigh

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:40 PM

This is awesome news!

#17 mamamoose

mamamoose

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Do we have an update?
  • peaceful isle, ScoutTN, cintinative and 1 other like this

#18 thegeyser

thegeyser

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

My son can't wait until ALL is released for sale. In the meantime, I am making him slog through Rod & Staff. I have promised him he can switch the minute I can buy ALL!

Edited by thegeyser, 16 February 2017 - 11:39 PM.

• peaceful isle, ScoutTN and egao_gakari like this

#19 momtofive

momtofive

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:54 PM

Bump ! ;)

#20 elroisees

elroisees

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1856 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Bump again - I need this book!  Please!

#21 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

This is referenced in a class for the WTM Academy so it is coming out by fall. I still haven't seen a date.  

• Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: A Complete Course for Young Writers, Aspiring Rhetoricians, and Anyone Else Who Needs to Understand How English WorksCore Handbook
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Student Workbook 1
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Key to Student Workbook 1

*Please note: the Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind series is forthcoming from the Well-Trained Mind Press.  Texts will be available for purchase before classes start in September.

• elroisees and Paradox5 like this

#22 elroisees

elroisees

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1856 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:42 PM

This is referenced in a class for the WTM Academy so it is coming out by fall. I still haven't seen a date.  

• Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: A Complete Course for Young Writers, Aspiring Rhetoricians, and Anyone Else Who Needs to Understand How English WorksCore Handbook
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Student Workbook 1
  • Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind: Key to Student Workbook 1

*Please note: the Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind series is forthcoming from the Well-Trained Mind Press.  Texts will be available for purchase before classes start in September.

Thank you! 

• ZaraBellesMom likes this

#23 Penelope

Penelope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Is there any more information available about how this series works?

Three of the WTM academy classes say they use book 1 of this series, the basic, Intermediate, and advanced.

How many books are there in the series?
How many of them are coming out in the fall?
Can a seventh or eighth grader use the books that will be available in the fall and cover everything that Rod and Staff level 7 or 8 covers?

Inquiring minds who are shopping and planning for next year want to know...
  • melmichigan likes this

#24 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

I don't think anyone except a WTM employee can answer these questions for you since none of us have seen the book(s).

I THINK there is one master book which covers all the levels you see on the WTMAcademy page. Then, individual workbooks can be used for beginner, intermediate, & advanced work. But, again, we don't know yet.  I'm assuming at least the master book is coming out this fall. I have no idea if the workbooks are ready for publishing yet or not.

I think we are all  :drool5: .

• peaceful isle and ScoutTN like this

#25 TKDmom

TKDmom

Kicks Like a Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 07:52 AM

Just to add on to what RootAnn said... it is possible for WTMA to use the book before it's published. When my son took Intro to Expository Writing, they gave us PDF copies of the student pages for WWE 3 and 4. Or at least for select lessons. They didn't use the whole book.

Edited by TKDmom, 12 April 2017 - 07:52 AM.

• RootAnn likes this

#26 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4576 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

SWB mentioned on Facebook that the PDF at least would be available before the start of next school year. (And I let out a big schoolgirl squee!)
  • TKDmom, peaceful isle, redsquirrel and 3 others like this

#27 egao_gakari

egao_gakari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Bumping again! Would love to know if PDFs at least might be made available by fall... or if I should add a different grammar program to my shopping cart  :driving:

• melmichigan and okbud like this

#28 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5455 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:04 PM

Amazon pre-orders list it for Sept. 18th.

• egao_gakari likes this

#29 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3683 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:15 PM

But SWB said they would have it in stock before Amazon or anywhere else. I'm drooling so bad! Are samples anywhere yet?

Edited by Paradox5, 08 July 2017 - 01:17 PM.

• melmichigan, peaceful isle and egao_gakari like this

#30 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3353 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

But SWB said they would have it in stock before Amazon or anywhere else. I'm drooling so bad! Are samples anywhere yet?

Also waiting!

#31 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3683 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

Samples anyone?? Not to pester but I think we are all anxiously awaiting peeking at it.

• dovrar, peaceful isle, Roadrunner and 1 other like this

#32 egao_gakari

egao_gakari

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Just looking at the Amazon page now, and thought I'd add the links for everyone's reference:

Core Instructor Text (4 years of material): Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Core Instructor Text

Student Workbook 1 (1 year of material): Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind Student Workbook 1

Also available are an answer key for Student Workbook 1, and a handbook of rules. Looks like an extremely thorough curriculum! Just judging by the Amazon blurbs, though, I think my kids might need another year of elementary-level grammar instruction before we move on to this one.

• Ambrosia likes this

#33 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5455 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

I've been selling off other curriculum to help find this purchase times 3-4 kiddos.  I would love to see samples to make sure that I'm making the right decision!  Pretty please?!??  We start school in a month.

• Quiver0f10, cintinative and Janeway like this

#34 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:37 PM

They sent the sample out today!!  

• loesje22000 and ScoutTN like this

#35 reign

reign

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1113 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

I cannot believe I'm so excited for a grammar book!
  • loesje22000 and cintinative like this

#36 Melissa in Australia

Melissa in Australia

Amateur at everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11316 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

thank you so much

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

just printed out the first 6 weeks free download, and pre-ordered the books from Fishpond

• loesje22000, ScoutTN and cintinative like this

#37 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I cannot believe I'm so excited for a grammar book!

You are not kidding. I am so extremely happy about this!

• reign likes this

#38 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I am debating pre-ordering from Amazon versus ordering from WTM Press. I think I want the electronic version of the workbook.  I wish I could pre-order through WTM. They are saying you can't though.  

• soror likes this

#39 Melissa in Australia

Melissa in Australia

Amateur at everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11316 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:36 PM

The only reason I order from fishpond is I can pay in Aus dollars and there is no shipping costs. That really helps when you are on the other side of the world.
  • RootAnn and peaceful isle like this

#40 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

You should be able to get the electronic version more than a week earlier than Amazon has it. You just have to wait until WTM says the electronic version is available to purchase - which'll be late Sept or early Oct. 

I'd rather give my $$ to WTM Press for this, especially if I wanted the electronic version.

Are you worried you won't hear about it right away?

I am debating pre-ordering from Amazon versus ordering from WTM Press. I think I want the electronic version of the workbook.  I wish I could pre-order through WTM. They are saying you can't though.  

#41 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

You should be able to get the electronic version more than a week earlier than Amazon has it. You just have to wait until WTM says the electronic version is available to purchase - which'll be late Sept or early Oct. 

I'd rather give my $$ to WTM Press for this, especially if I wanted the electronic version.

Are you worried you won't hear about it right away?

I think I want the electronic version of the workbook because I would rather not unbind and copy for the two kids but I want the paper copy of the teacher's, rule book, etc. I might have to do a mix of ordering.

Or maybe they will let us know when we can order the paper copies from their site and it will work out because I have the six week sample. I don't know. Originally I was going to wait until I finished JAG but I am almost giddy over this and want to start it next week!  =)

#42 Penelope

Penelope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

Ive looked through the sample a little bit but wanted to get opinions.

Does anyone think this will be the kind of thing that can be used independently in later middle school? I expect to do grammar with my fifth grader, but from there I spend less time directly teaching and usually only go over what is completely new when using other grammar programs. WTM grammar looks like it is completely scripted, but I am hoping that can be adapted. Thoughts?

#43 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5455 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Ive looked through the sample a little bit but wanted to get opinions.

Does anyone think this will be the kind of thing that can be used independently in later middle school? I expect to do grammar with my fifth grader, but from there I spend less time directly teaching and usually only go over what is completely new when using other grammar programs. WTM grammar looks like it is completely scripted, but I am hoping that can be adapted. Thoughts?

I've only begun to read through the samples, but at this point I think you would loose a lot of what makes the program unique without the interaction, especially in that first year.  You might be able to spend less time and make it more independent in later years once they have been through the program that first time and are relying more on the reference book.  For us, that is part of the appeal, my kids haven't been retaining when I'm not directly teaching grammar and just handing them independent work.  ymmv

#44 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5455 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

I think I want the electronic version of the workbook because I would rather not unbind and copy for the two kids but I want the paper copy of the teacher's, rule book, etc. I might have to do a mix of ordering.

Or maybe they will let us know when we can order the paper copies from their site and it will work out because I have the six week sample. I don't know. Originally I was going to wait until I finished JAG but I am almost giddy over this and want to start it next week!  =)

I said the same thing, until I realized the workbook is 450 pages.  Even if I have it done, copying will only save a few dollars over the print price.

• cintinative and Kiara.I like this

#45 cintinative

cintinative

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1656 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:56 AM

I said the same thing, until I realized the workbook is 450 pages.  Even if I have it done, copying will only save a few dollars over the print price.

True!! I get 2.5 cent copies with Office Max (b/c of HSLDA--I know, I know, but the copy benefits have saved me tons). 

#46 chiefcookandbottlewasher

chiefcookandbottlewasher

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

Is there a link to get the samples? Thanks!

#47 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3249 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:54 AM

If you buy the electronic copy from Amazon, will it be in the .AZW/.MOBI format? If yes, can it be printed?

#48 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

I don't think Amazon will have an electronic copy. I think you have to buy that directly from the Well Trained Wind Press. (Typed PHP first! Old habits die hard.)

#49 Penelope

Penelope

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

I've only begun to read through the samples, but at this point I think you would loose a lot of what makes the program unique without the interaction, especially in that first year. You might be able to spend less time and make it more independent in later years once they have been through the program that first time and are relying more on the reference book. For us, that is part of the appeal, my kids haven't been retaining when I'm not directly teaching grammar and just handing them independent work. ymmv

Thanks, that's about what I am thinking, too. It sounds like the workbooks for subsequent levels aren't that different in difficulty, so it would be okay to put an eighth grader in book one if they have already gotten through level 7 of Rod and Staff, and wouldn't hurt to see grammar from a different angle. But, I would not want to have to go back to doing grammar daily with an eighth grader who doesn't need me to do that anymore. Hmm.

They have been certainly been generous with the samples, as always. And I have never been disappointed with anything from WTM Press.
  • Melissa in Australia, RootAnn and melmichigan like this

#50 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5455 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Oops, just figured out the Y1 workbook is 602 pages.  :blushing:

• RootAnn likes this