Menu

Struggling

Terabith

Sigh. I have a bipolar diagnosis, but have been completely fine (on meds) for several years. And then Tuesday, it was like the flu, when you are fine one minute and deathly ill an hour later, except with anxiety and depression. Just feel so awful. Psychiatrist suggested going into the hospital but trying to avoid it. This just sucks.

:grouphug: I also have a bipolar diagnosis and am on meds. I worry all the time the meds will stop being effective. Is your doctor changing your meds? I don't think a hospital is necessary if you have a good support system at home, especially if your meds can be changed.

• Like 1

I have a good support system but I'm struggling with thoughts and impulses and agitation. And I think his thought was could adjust faster in hospital. I had felt like I was fighting off a cold and then within an hour went off the deep end. Just feel so scared and overwhelmed and hopeless. And judged and unworthy, because I'm crazy. I've been high functioning but haven't exactly lived up to my potential.

I've been high functioning but haven't exactly lived up to my potential.

Terabith, I can't think of a single day of my life when I've lived up to my potential, and I have no known extenuating circumstances holding me back. 

Big hugs to you, and I hope you're feeling better very soon.

• Like 19

Any chance one or more meds (if generic) is from a different manufacturer this month? Perhaps of a lessor potency (there is a range generics can be in and still be "acceptable".)  Otherwise, I hope a tweaking of your meds gets you back on track.

Have you read Jenny Lawson's books or her blog (The Bloggess)? She is in the same boat, and I got our adult son (still not stable still juggling six meds to find the correct combo for his brain) reading her. She is funny and as a fellow sufferer "gets" it.

And come check in here as much as you like or need to today, we will "talk" (type?) you down as much as you need. Virtual hugs!

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 7

It can be very bad, BUT as long as you are able to reach out, both here and to the folks around you, you will be OK. It will take some time, but this too shall pass (my mom always annoyed me when she said that to me, but it is true). If you need to go to the hospital for a day or two to be safe, that is ok, too. If you were having a heart attack or needed chemo, you would go in, right? Do whatever keeps you safe until this either passes or meds can be tweaked. And please keep checking in today. And - eat chocolate (even if it doesn't help - and I look at bipolar as a Dementor - it sure tastes good!)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 6

I have a good support system but I'm struggling with thoughts and impulses and agitation. And I think his thought was could adjust faster in hospital. I had felt like I was fighting off a cold and then within an hour went off the deep end. Just feel so scared and overwhelmed and hopeless. And judged and unworthy, because I'm crazy. I've been high functioning but haven't exactly lived up to my potential.

((((Hugs)))) my brother has had to go to the hospital a couple of times to readjust his meds.

It will keep you in a safe environment while they find a solution for you.

Keep us posted please.

• Like 2

:grouphug:  Keep checking in.   :grouphug:

Add me to the list of "Doesn't Live Up to Potential" and I have no "reason" for it.  It's just who I am.  I'll even admit to liking it that way (more or less - it has pros and cons).  Don't let that be a reason for frustration.  There IS no single way we must be living.

• Like 8

My grandpa had bi-polar -- back when it was called manic depression -- and they could control the mania, but not his terrible depression. I came out of my childhood with extreme respect for anyone experiencing such an incredibly difficult situation.

It was bad.

He's been gone for 25 years and I have more respect for him as the years go by.

Doesn't help you, but just wanting to say: you're amazing for what you're dealing with.

Alley

• Like 6

Is there a reason you don't want to go into the hospital? Frankly, I would go. It will be one less thing to agonize about, they will patch you up in no time and in the safes possible environment, and then you can quickly return home. Please take your doctor's advice. Sending warm good wishes to you.

• Like 4

Has your doc recalibrated some of your meds since you called him? If he did, it takes a little time to take effect. Do you have something to take just in case it gets so bad you need it, i.e Ativan or similar?

Also, sometimes the five minute at a time rule helps. Determine to get through the next five minutes by doing something that distracts you a little. Perhaps you can go 15 minutes? What time frame did the doc give you before he re-evaluates you?

• Like 1

Is there a reason you don't want to go into the hospital? Frankly, I would go. It will be one less thing to agonize about, they will patch you up in no time and in the safes possible environment, and then you can quickly return home. Please take your doctor's advice. Sending warm good wishes to you.

I agree.  

Still thinking about you and checking back often.

• Like 1

Partly I don't want to go because it's expensive.  Partly because it's harder to distract myself and sleep there than it is at home.  Partly I have an irrational fear of hospitals.  I went once, and it wasn't terrible, but just...blah.  I don't want to mess up my kids or make things more difficult for my husband.  Have an appointment with psychiatrist for next Thursday but they told me to call on Monday but really encouraged me to go in. 

• Like 1

Just more hugs.

Maybe you and your DH can make a plan, as a just in case, for if you decide to go in... If you don't already have one in place.

You sound very self aware, and strong, and you'll do what's right for you. Please don't hesitate if you need to go... Just go, and do what you have to to take care of yourself. Sometimes it's harder to get things back on track, the farther off they go.

My adult son is bipolar II. It's so hard at times, and it's all so clearly chemical and physical. It really is like the flu. Hang in there.

• Like 4

I don't want to mess up my kids or make things more difficult for my husband.   

Have you discussed any of this with them - esp your husband (if your kids aren't old enough for such discussions)?  If so, what do they say?

I'm NOT saying this because I believe in "obeying" husbands or that they get to make our decisions.  Anyone knowing me for long on this board or IRL would literally laugh at that thought.  I'm saying it because my hubby is my best friend and I know he would be honest with me about his thoughts if I asked and were honest with him.  If your husband is not your best friend (or among your best friends), then skip my advice to talk with him and talk with someone better instead.

I suspect he would think it would be more difficult if you didn't get help - esp if impulsive.

Not totally related, but similar.  There are things I do that often make me feel better.  Many times the hardest part for me mentally is the first step - getting started.  One would think it would be easy, esp if I'm sitting around feeling miserable and know that chances are good I'll feel better afterward, but in some strange twist of the real world it doesn't work that way.  I remind myself of that many times in order to get going on that first step.

Best wishes to you as you decide what to do.

• Like 5

Thinking might stop by the hospital after dinner to see what they think.

I too hate the idea of the hospital. I've managed to stay out but only because staying home actually worked for me. If I had any doubt that I couldn't cope at home, I'd go to the hospital. It's there to help you. :grouphug:

• Like 1