Menu

What math and foreign language activities for kid in public K all day?

I'm such a slacker parent in the young ages, which is why she is in school. I love her teacher and have been on two pretty magical field trips with them already, so that's definitely working for her.

But I know I need to do the math and foreign language at home. I have MEP and Singapore and will pick those back up for 15 min or so at a time. What other small activities that don't require major brain power or planning from my end ;) can I do with her? I am just not a playful person and definitely not a mathy games person. I buy so many games and they sit. But her afterschool time is all wild playing at the park (our entire world circulates around DS classes--he has a class every night and that's why she's at park nearby so much ;)) she does play chess occasionally and listen to our great books lectures (loves all the fighting in the Iliad, apparently) but other than that, she doesn't read yet and she is just on her own, poor thing.

I feel like I'm short changing her and she is far more curious than DS ever was: Asked DH what she needed to do to be "part of his team" when he took her to work the other day â¤ï¸. Wrote down bunches of numbers as that's what she thinks he does 😂

Eta I have all the cuisinare rods. Neither one of us is enthused.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

Currently with DS, we are doing Life of Fred elementary books as bedtime story, and he's been enjoying playing Prodigy math as well as the math activities on Starfall.com. we have also been playing regular board games that reinforce math skills, such as Sorry and Brainquest.

My DS has been begging for more math. He often horns in on DD's math lessons on the weekend, wanting to be included.

Do you have a foreign language in mind? Salsa Spanish videos are about 15 minutes long. One of our libraries has Muzzy online in different languages. There are also associated vocabulary games with that. Music from the library or Pandora? Dan Zanes had a Spanish language kids' cd that we liked, YouTube probably has samples. Pink Martini has songs in lots of different languages, but kids' songs, but catchy.

I would just do MEP and prune it ruthlessly.

Do you have a foreign language in mind? Salsa Spanish videos are about 15 minutes long. One of our libraries has Muzzy online in different languages. There are also associated vocabulary games with that. Music from the library or Pandora? Dan Zanes had a Spanish language kids' cd that we liked, YouTube probably has samples. Pink Martini has songs in lots of different languages, but kids' songs, but catchy.

I would just do MEP and prune it ruthlessly.

It has to be German or French. She has been doing those little YouTube books you linked with brother.

Someone have me the full MUZZY and another brand cd and books sets for French. They sit in the box, I'm so lazy. She doesn't read so that's my excuse. She had been doing Gus German app, I need to get on her again.

Edited by madteaparty

My Dd is in preschool, but we afterschool math and reading. I'm thinking of adding in Spanish though since she may go to a full immersion school for K. That means 100% of instruction would be in Spanish except for specials such as art and music.

Math: we do living math books such as Greg Tangs Math Fables. I'm using the educationunboxed.com videos and we go through the concepts together. She also loves Usbornes First Illustrated Math Dictionary. We also have board games that have math concepts such as Sum Swamp and Zingo 123

Spanish: I'm going to look and see what audio our library offers. we have a large Spanish population and our libraries offer a ton of Spanish books on all levels. I plan to check some out. Our church is bilingual as well. Spanish music and sermon. I plan to keep her in the service with us when I can for the worship time.

• Like 1

I would read her books with a math theme. This thread http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/625734-math-books-to-read-for-fun/ had some ideas. My dc's liked Usbourne math books a whole lot a that age. If you want to keep it simple go through the beginning LoF's at bedtime, a friend's husband read a section a night.

• Like 1

Do you have a tablet for her? Maybe some math or language apps would be better as it won't take any input from you or prep and it's portable. Math seeds (by reading eggs) is fair. Numbers app by the same people that did dragon box is awesome and worth the $. There are limited language programs but maybe searching for apps written for kids in those languages would be better than translation apps. For instance a preK or K app doing shapes, letters, reading, etc, but made for French native speakers or German. The originators app for Spanish is cutesy.

• Like 1