Menu

What are your top 10 school questions?

DD is applying to a GT program on a college campus (middle/high school age, but a combination of high school and college courses). There will be a parent Q &A as a group and a 1-1 parent interview as well as a child one, and while I'm sure they have a list of questions to ask us, I also want to go in with a list of questions for them.

I figured this board might be able to help.

Questions I'd ask:

What support can you offer if there are behavioral issues? What is the discipline structure like?

What support can you offer for tutoring/remediation? (still a necessary question for gifted kids, I think, there may be something that lags).

If the student is placed in a particular "stream" what are the procedures for moving to a different stream? Is there flexibility to allow the student to take classes outside his/her stream?

What kinds of enrichment/clubs happens in school? After school? Can students start new clubs or initiate the adoption of new programs? What is the procedure for doing this?

Is there a student government? What are their responsibilities? What do they do?

Who pays for field trips or special activities? Are there fundraisers?

Not all the questions may be necessarily relevant, but the response can tell you a lot about the school administration and the school ethos.

• Like 1

How much freedom do students have with course selection?

Which college courses can student complete during high school - is there a set schedule, or is student free to choose? 

Is the focus on just completing gen ed, or can the student specialize towards a major?

Will those be regular college courses, taught to college students, in which the GT kids are participating - or will the school create a separate section for the kids in the program? Can kids switch sections? Can kids select with which instructor they wish to take the course?

Do the kids have access to the same tutoring and learning assistance opportunities as the college students, or are there separate sessions?

Are the courses taught in seat or online?

Are the courses taught by regular faculty or graduate TAs?

How is mature content in humanities handled?

How do credits transfer if the student should opt not to finish the program?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What is the teacher turnover? Required certifications? Administration structure? Special services (English for non-native speakers, special needs, counseling)?

Average class size? Gender ratio? Percentage of students leaving the program before finishing? Percentage of graduates attending higher education versus stopping at the end of the program? What schools do they matriculate to? Support from the school for college applications?

Particularly for a high school/college: how does the school actively foster cooperation instead of competition among students?

Can you get a copy of the latest inspection report and the school's response to it?

• Like 1