Menu

Math Kangaroo registration is open now

mathnerd

Yes, I had a hard time finding one close to me too as most were full on the first day of registration. I could not find most of the local centers that were listed last year. I think that they will slowly pop up on the site during October. This year, they have a "transfer to another center" button - so, just register at any center close to you and check back later if you can transfer to your choice of centers.

No, but if you go through the process of registering, you can see what the options in your area are then (or you can come back later to complete the registration).

I know, but it's very inconvenient. With the testing centers being so few and far between, it's always been much more convenient be able to go straight to the "centers" page

http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/centers.html

to quickly see if anything remotely close has been added.

• Like 1

I know, but it's very inconvenient. With the testing centers being so few and far between, it's always been much more convenient be able to go straight to the "centers" page

http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/centers.html

to quickly see if anything remotely close has been added.

I agree, the way they have that set up is misleading.  

An alternative is to open your own center.  I manage one at my public library, and I invite local homeschooling students to join us.  MK makes it very easy to do this, and they are homeschool-friendly.  Let me know on this thread if you want more details.  

I'm interesting in signing up dd6. Her birthday misses the state cut-off for 1st grade by about 2 weeks, so she's technically a Kindergartner but academically more 2nd-3rd grade. Is there any reason I shouldn't just call her 1st grade for the sake of the test? Like, is there a benefit in "red-shirting" her? I'm thinking probably not, but I don't know if there's something I haven't thought of. 

If you feel she's ready to handle a fairly long multiple choice test, I'd sign her up. If she's not ready, I'd wait a year. It is a more "Formal" format than some because of the scantron cards, etc-in PS, the 1st grade standardized test doesn't ask 1st graders to handle a separate answer card.

• Like 1

If you feel she's ready to handle a fairly long multiple choice test, I'd sign her up. If she's not ready, I'd wait a year. It is a more "Formal" format than some because of the scantron cards, etc-in PS, the 1st grade standardized test doesn't ask 1st graders to handle a separate answer card.

Thanks. I didn't realize there was a scantron. I think she could handle the test, but we might need to practice a bit with scantrons so that she doesn't get flustered.

I'm interesting in signing up dd6. Her birthday misses the state cut-off for 1st grade by about 2 weeks, so she's technically a Kindergartner but academically more 2nd-3rd grade. Is there any reason I shouldn't just call her 1st grade for the sake of the test? Like, is there a benefit in "red-shirting" her? I'm thinking probably not, but I don't know if there's something I haven't thought of. 

She can register as grade 1 this time, and again next time.

I've never heard of this and there are no centers in WV at all. What kind of contest is this? Do you meet to study before the testing day? How difficult are the tests compared to grade level? Does it lead to any other events? 

You can open your own test center if there are none close to you.

This is a math problem solving contest. It is not a team competition, just an individual paper test. The test is based on grade level material, but, the problems involve deep thinking and are word problems with multiple choice answers. You can get some sample test papers and try them at home first to see how it goes: http://www.mathkangaroo.org/mk/sample_questions.html

Also if you open your own test center, you can register your own children for free.  They make it easier and better every year.  This year, they allow you to restrict the registration to only certain grades.  This is nice for us, because my kids are older, they aren't keen to take the test with kids in kindergarten.  

We skipped it in K, but my January bday DS didn't have a problem with the scantron format in 1st.

My son had his 6th birthday in December. I signed him up for level 1 last year. Age wise he was in Kinder. He didn't do great with the test. It was his first time doing something like that. I showed him how to do scantron the week before and did fine with that part. The testers said that they hover a little over the level 1 and 2 testers to see if they need help with a scantron but they said he did just fine.

Mostly it was a fun experience for my son and he wants to do it again.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...