Menu

Disneyland - Cheaper and easier to plan last minute?

SJ.

Is Disneyland cheaper to visit and easier to plan at the last minute? 

We were hoping to do Disney World this fall,l but life got the best of us and we don't have anything planned.  This afternoon it occurred to me that it may be feasible to do a short (5 day?)  Disneyland vacation with Universal Studios and maybe some other attractions.

Is this true?  If so, do you have any advice?

Honestly, I don't know where to start as I have never planned this type of vacation before and it feels very overwhelming.

Thanks.

SJ

Definitely YES!!!

So many more hotel options (off site) and you don't need to book restaurants  (even character meals)at months out and the old Fast Pass system (swipe your ticket day of, not plan online in advance).

Get the book Unofficial Guide To Disneyland and I like their app (Lines) (Which has more accurate wait times than the Disney app).

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

We did Disneyland last minute a few years back and it was easy. Hubby had a conference in Anaheim so the dates were fixed but it was off peak for Disneyland.

Since it was off peak, buying a five day park hopper pass was cheap. After that we look around for hotels and we wanted a suite with kitchenette (and dining table) so we went with the nearby Marriott. Hubby's colleagues were at Hyatt and the rooms were not as nice. There are many choices of suites at hotels off peak at good prices.

We bought groceries at Target Anaheim as my oldest is a picky eater. The fridge in the suite was big enough for our needs.

We didn't go to Universal Studios but my in-laws went. They spent a day there.

It is an 8hr drive south with stops for us to Disneyland. We just refueled and ate at fast food joints along the way. Kids slept most of the journey since we drive to Legoland and San Diego often.

• Like 1

Yes, we don't do any planning, never have. As long as you don't expect to eat at Blue Bayou or get a great seat for Fantasmic (not running now, I don't think) you should be fine. When we're in the area we sometimes just drive over and spend the day with no plan at all. We do use the fast passes to help. Off-season is much easier.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

YES! 

DL you don't have to plan at all.  We have gone 2 times with 0 planning.  This is what makes me not want to go to DW ever.  

All my kids loved Legoland way better than DL.  

We haven't gone to Universal yet.  My kids never like Harry Potter, nuts because they loved things like Percy Jackson and Artemis Fowl, but I digress.