Menu

gearing up for yoga

EmilyGF

I'm thinking of joining a hot yoga gym this winter to try to deal with the fact that I feel cold all winter (heard an NPR story on this idea and it sounded like it could help me).

What should I be doing now so that I can be ready in December? Right now I do barre3, which includes a few yoga poses, but isn't at all a yoga workout. I am looking for DVD/streaming suggestions so that I can save my pennies for the gym when it really matters.

Thanks,

Emily

Gaia yoga has a monthly subscription to their videos. I haven't used them though. And Beachbody has a Yoga 3 week program, starting with the very basics. I tried the first one and liked it, but haven't continued because I'm pregnant and it uses poses I can't do while pregnant. Beachbody has an on demand service, you can stream it via computer, smart TV, Roku, etc etc. I want to say it is 39 bucks for 3 months of access, with a 1 week free trial to see if you like it. 

Drink lots and lots of water, starting now.  :lol:

My friend has the funniest story about her experience in a hot yoga class.  When the say hot, they mean hot. 

The way I understand it most hot yoga classes follow the same sequence.  Perhaps this will help:

Or if  you are short on time:

And this: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4944/10-Things-NOT-to-Do-in-Bikram-Yoga.html

I do a lot of hot yoga. There are two main types: Bikram and Bikram-style hot yoga, and vinyasa style hot yoga.

Bikram yoga is done in a 105F room with 40% humidity, and consists of 26 poses. The instructor follows a scripted dialogue, and there is no music. It's an athletic, challenging style of yoga, but it is easy to modify poses for any age or fitness level. The first week or so, you are urged to stay in the room, but there is no shame in kneeling or sitting down if your heart rate gets to high.

Vinyasa style hot yoga is done in a 95F room, and consists of traditional ashtanga and/or flow yoga. Lots of downward dogs, charurangas, and warrior poses are done, and each class can be very different in sequence and style. Music is usually played in vinyasa hot yoga.

It takes some time to get used to the hot room, but once you do, it is almost addictive. I have been taking Pure Barre classes the last few weeks, and the exercise room at this studio seems extremely cold!

At first you will need a large container of cold water with perhaps some sea salt, but this need decreases as you get accustomed to the heat.

And yes, you will need pants! :)

Edited by trulycrabby

I don't tolerate the heat(anything above 75 and I have to watch it- depending on the intensity of practice), I attended a "warm" class before, it was just like regular flow yoga, just hotter. Likewise, the closest place I know that offers it does it the same but then again I don't live in an area with a lot of yoga options. One thing I noticed that I wish I had brought to the class I went to was a towel, they actually sell yoga towels that go over your mat, my mat is an extra sticky one so it isn't a slip and slide but a towel would have been nice to keep the sweat from burning my eyes. I'd also advise caution as with the heat it also brings more intense stretches, which although sounds really cool can lead to injury. I overstretched and pulled a muscle in a mere 80+ degree room.