Menu

Long-term Scout parents, what do I need to know?

kubiac

We just started Cub Scouts with DS6 and I'm trying to figure out how to learn what I don't know. We have fallen into a wonderful pack with a lot of long-time leaders and a strong support system, so mostly I think I can just go along for the ride. However, even just the few weeks we've done has made me realize how involved Scouting can be. I want to be a blessing to the Pack and a good Akela to my little Cub Scout. I have been reading the manual and I have a mom mentor, but I'd like to stay for the duration through Eagle and I'm almost overwhelmed by deciphering the Wolf book.

(We have three Eagles and two Life Scouts on my dad's side of the family but they aren't close enough to be too much help; DH's side of the family has no Scouting background.)

(My feeling of being overwhelmed is probably related to the fact that we also have a newborn, but still!)

Long story short, if you are a veteran BSA (or Girl Scout!) parent, what is your advice for making the most of a Scout experience? What kind of things can I do to best support my Scouts? What kind of volunteer work or organizing would be most helpful to the Pack/Troop?

Welcome!

The best volunteering is what you can do happily, without stressing your family. Usually the pack will let you know where volunteers are needed and what the committment is. If you can go to the monthly leader's meeting its helpful.

Reading the cub's handbook is very helpful, as is reading the Leader's Guide (borrow from Pack). For now, enjoy your intro and the time you and your spouse spend with your cub. The best support is participating, as cubs is family enrichment.

Edited by Heigh Ho

Look for training opportunities. Many councils have a "University of Scouting" or other training days where you can go and learn more about the program. For you first year, I agree with the watching and waiting idea. Be ready to volunteer for short assignments that won't take too much of your time, such as helping to plan a pack dinner or a den activity. Tell the den leader that you would like to help, but you don't know what would be helpful. When I was a den leader it was great to have those willing adults that could do anything I asked them to in that moment even if they couldn't get envolved in something that took long term planning.

Probably one of the most helpful things I can think of that takes no up front planning is helping with the clean up after den and pack meetings. Our pack meetings were held at the church I attended at the time, and it was very important to me that the pack was respectful and left the place as clean or cleaner than when we started. I was surprised at how many families would come to events and then rush out the door as soon as the "important" stuff was done to leave a few of us to do all the cleaning. Plus, I am an old GS leader, so I expected the kids to help clean up. Most parents did not think that way.

• Like 2

My advice would be DON'T GET BURNED OUT. Yeah, I'm yelling. :-) If your son stays in until 18, you're looking at 12 years in the program. That's a LONG time. It can be political, people come and go, work load varies, leadership changes.... Don't feel like you have to everything, every time. Find what you're good at and do that. You don't have to do every camp, every event, every meeting, every week. Really. Be consistent, but don't drive yourself crazy. You can be a leader without it taking over your life. Set limits. Say no. And, cub scouts isn't boy scouts. If you find that cubs isn't working, it's ok. It's ok to take a break. Boy scouts is a whole new start with new rules, better adventures, and it's very very different than cubs. So don't feel that cubs not working will have any affect on enjoying boy scouts.

For us, I (mom) was the cub scout parent, and then when my son moved to boy scouts, dad took over. It was a great system. In boy scouts I helped with advancement, trip committee, etc, but all campouts and most weekly meetings were dad's. As the boys get older they need men mentors, and for us this worked out great, and neither of us got too burned out.

• Like 3

UGH, just lost a huge post.

I was going to ditto watching for burn-out, that has been more of an issue for us as parents than for our kids who have so far loved and enjoyed it all. We jumped in as Den Leaders in Tiger Scouts and have been in various leadership positions ever since 6 yrs later now- guess we are half-way done-of course I have 3 girls, the youngest not even old enough to officially join AHG but I don't like to do the math on that!!!) Scouts is our main activity however, we've cut other things to focus on Scouts it has been fabulous for us, a great source for friends and I love the activities, skills, etc. Dh and I have both gotten a little too overextended at times but are in a better place now. Dh is feeling much better about it all as ds has crossed over into Boy Scouts and the demands on adult leaders is not quite as high (not to mention there are considerably few boys- our Cub Scout Pack was up to 70 or so by the time we moved on(now 100!) and the Scout Troop is only around 20-30. I'm leading again in AHG this year but do have some help, b/c doing everything week after week on your own can get tiring, especially when you are doing other jobs within the group as well.

I would also ditto helping w/ clean-up and all those little tasks are great. Leaders are the first one there and the last one there. The floors don't get magically vacuumed, there aren't fairies who take care of the trash, it is the leaders who've already spent their free time prepping and then devoted their time to working with your kids, we have our own kids and would love all the help we can get. Depending on your schedule it might work to help with an individual activity, maybe you are good at planning parties, we have at least one a year for advancement having someone take care of food and decorations is a big help. Maybe you are in sales and want to be in charge of popcorn sales. Maybe you are good with money and can be the bookkeeper. Maybe you can be in charge of social media, there are so many jobs to do, any help is great.

I'd also say the costs can add up. We have good support with our chartering organizations but even supplies add up. Ds and dh are going on their first backpacking trip so they both needed new sleeping bags(ours were huge and thick) and ds needed a new backpack. My parents have helped buy some supplies for Christmas' and b-days and that helped lightened the load for us.

We've heard from others that as the boys get older they start to lose interest so it is better for them to hit the ground running w/ getting merit badges, so we've been encouraging to ds to do so. Really he has enjoyed the work so far(nearly 1 yr into Boy Scouts) and as I said he loves Scouts and it has been a great fit for him. (now of course, you can't say that from the get go as there is a lot can change from 6yo to the teenage years)

Edited by soror
  • Like 2