Menu

There's something missing in my vegetarian meals

ILiveInFlipFlops

Other than animal products, of course! I guess you'd call it the elusive umami flavor, maybe? Whenever I cook something vegetarian or vegan, while all the ingredients taste as they should, the whole meal just tastes kind of flat. Last night I made Lotsa Vegetable Chowder from the Forks Over Knives site. I tweaked some things (added smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, mushrooms), and I even (my sincerest of apologies!) replaced half the water with chicken broth because I knew I was already fighting an uphill battle with the family on this one, but I still got complaints. And I don't necessarily disagree with the feedback I got. I've had this problem with other plant-based meals as well.

Is there some way to add back that certain something? Would coconut aminos add a kick, or maybe nutritional yeast? I'm sure I could have a heavier hand with the salt, but that doesn't seem like a wise solution! The general consensus last night was that bacon would solve the problem :lol: But that defeats the purpose of making a plant-based meal. 

I would love to hear any ideas or thoughts from the more experienced. Thanks!

(Also, I highly recommend that recipe, especially with the tweaks I made. I even made it in the Instant Pot, in case anyone wants the method :lol:)

Fat? Forks over Knives seems to take the position that any sort of added fat is unhealthy, and so their recipes tend to have none. If you're just going for vegetarianism, you can use a vegetarian fat in their recipes. For example, in this one, if you sautee the spices and some of the veggies (I usually do at least the onions) first in some fat it will be a lot more yummy and a lot more filling. 

If you want to stay low-fat, something like miso paste can help with umami. 

• Like 4

But that defeats the purpose of making a plant-based meal.

Maybe, maybe not. A small amount of bacon is less animal-death and less cholesterol than a large amount of chicken or ham. (Not sure if you're looking at this health-wise or ethics-wise!) It also costs a lot less than a whole steak dinner, if you're looking at this from a budget angle. Even if your goal is to go animal-free, you do a lot more good taking manageable steps than fighting your family for a month and then giving up because cold turkey (yes, I said it) didn't work for you guys.

With that said, I don't know about coconut aminos specifically, but yes, anything with that profile will help boost the flavor a bit. Nutritional yeast... it fits very well in some meals, and not so well in others, plus different yeasts taste different. We have one that tastes just very cheesy, and another we buy that has a very strong beery taste - which actually makes it go great in our chili, which is why I buy it!

• Like 4

Maybe it needs more fat? Added olive oil? Also, cartelizing the veggies a bit helps with a deeper flavor.

Your vegetables get together to fix prices and production? ;) (Sorry, but I couldn't help it with such a great typo.)

As for the real question, I prefer dishes that weren't vegetarian in the first place because then I don't miss the meat/fish.

• Like 11

I also agree that a little bacon helps... I mean, a couple of slices isn't much meat and adds a huge amount of flavor - so if this is about reduced meat consumption over no meat consumption/strict ethical issues then... And some of the "bacon bits" toppings are actually vegetarian. Super processed though.

• Like 1

I just took a look at that recipe ingredient list and there is not nearly enough onion in it. I don't know the site, maybe there is a reason for that, but if there isn't, I think you will find if you respect more closely the classic mirepoix ratio (classic for a reason), you will have a much better tasting result.

eta. And just took a look at the instructions. Nope. Saute your corrected mirepoix and that will probably fix your recipe. Just throwing stuff in a pot of boiling waters isn't doing it any favors flavor wise.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 6

FAT!!! I never thought of that! Probably because that usually does come from the protein in most meals we eat. I was just psyched that I could just throw the whole mess in the Instant Pot and turn it on and be done. But I pureed some of the soup after cooking to add back as a thickener, and I could easily add olive oil then (or caramelize the aromatics first if I have the time). 

I did already use plenty of salt, and I'm concerned about our salt intake as it is because I think we've become fairly desensitized to how much salt we're consuming thanks to overconsumption of processed, packaged food. I also have a lot of trouble with recurring kidney stones (which run in both our families), so I'm trying to dial salt back for that alone. 

It did occur to me that a little bacon or ham wouldn't be so bad, but it is partly for ethical reasons that I'm trying to cut back on meat consumption, so I'm trying to build a repertoire of meat-free meals. If I add bacon to this now and take it away later, I might have a mutiny, even among those of us who are on board with the ethical issue :lol: 

Fat...how did I not even realize that it was missing entirely?  :001_rolleyes:

Your vegetables get together to fix prices and production? ;) (Sorry, but I couldn't help it with such a great typo.)

As for the real question, I prefer dishes that weren't vegetarian in the first place because then I don't miss the meat/fish.

:smilielol5: I needed that laugh right now.

I just took a look at that recipe ingredient list and there is not nearly enough onion in it. I don't know the site, maybe there is a reason for that, but if there isn't, I think you will find if you respect more closely the classic mirepoix ratio (classic for a reason), you will have a much better tasting result.

eta. And just took a look at the instructions. Nope. Saute your corrected mirepoix and that will probably fix your recipe. Just throwing stuff in a pot of boiling waters isn't doing it any favors flavor wise.

I actually added more than it called for because even as an onion hater, I know how important it is! But no, I did not saute a real mirepoix, and I'm sure that does matter. I'll probably try that next time and see how much it changes the whole thing. 

If I add bacon to this now and take it away later, I might have a mutiny, even among those of us who are on board with the ethical issue

Valid concern!

Caramelizing the aromatics first will be a twofer - you get the fat AND they're more flavorful.

Re: Kidney stones - did you see that article about kidney stones and roller coasters?

• Like 2

Thank you so much, everyone. I've made tons of notes in my Plan to Eat record for this recipe, so hopefully next time will be more successful. I'm also going to take a quick look at the recipes that have been unpopular in the past and see if I can't apply the same modifications to those for better results!

I'm still  :bigear: if anyone else has helpful tips :D

Did not read the other comments yet, but when looking at that recipe I thought what is chowder without some sort of cream.  So to sub maybe coconut milk and/or a bit of thickener of some sort to give it that nice creamy texture.  Otherwise it's just a thin soup. 

But looking up at your comment here...yes fat or a creamy texture would help.

Another cheater way of adding a fattier sort of texture is pureed white beans or pureeing some of the potatoes. 

Valid concern!

Caramelizing the aromatics first will be a twofer - you get the fat AND they're more flavorful.

Re: Kidney stones - did you see that article about kidney stones and roller coasters?

Thanks for the reminder! I saw it go past in my FB feed, but I forgot to go back and read it. I will right now. I've already had three invasive procedures for stones on my left side, and I still have stones on my right (that haven't bothered me thus far, knock on wood). Anything that can help is MORE than welcome!

Did not read the other comments yet, but when looking at that recipe I thought what is chowder without some sort of cream.  So to sub maybe coconut milk and/or a bit of thickener of some sort to give it that nice creamy texture.  Otherwise it's just a thin soup. 

But looking up at your comment here...yes fat or a creamy texture would help.

Another cheater way of adding a fattier sort of texture is pureed white beans or pureeing some of the potatoes. 

I did puree quite a lot of the soup, and that helped a lot. I didn't think about adding some almond or coconut milk though. I do have a couple of soups where those sub in very nicely (they also involve a lot of bacon though :lol:). I'll add that idea to my notes too. Actually, I'm having leftover for lunch today, so maybe I'll add a smidge of almond milk when I reheat to see how that changes things.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

Interesting! I've never heard of that. I do use sea salt, but it's Morton's brand (because that's what BJ's had in stock the last time I was there), so who knows how it was processed. I'll look into getting some. Thanks!

A good sea salt makes a surprisingly big difference. Morton's is quite bitter and flat.

Edited by bibiche

In addition to other ideas already mentioned, when I make a vegetarian dish I often add Better Than Bouillon's vegetable base for umami flavor. It's quite salty, so don't use too much and leave salt out of the recipe until you've added the base and tasted it. It's usually in the soup aisle and a little goes a long way.

Soy sauce can also be used to substitute for salt in some dishes while adding more umami.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 2

Salt and fat helps very much :)

Soy sauce also imparts a good amount of umami even with no animal ingredients. Love that stuff!

Edited by Arctic Mama

If you are trying to eat vegan and vegetarian, I woulnn't consider bacon. I swear coconut oil makes everything taste better.if my meal tastes a little flat, this and salt are my go to. I also like the different spice blends with and without salt, Dash and the like. My favorite has pink himilayan salt.

I looooove vegan Indian meals.

• Like 1

Personally, that recipe just doesn't sound appealing to me. It doesn't sound like a 'meal', if you know what I mean. I like a nice thick spicy soup: I make a sweet potato and carrot soup with chickpeas, and last week dd make us a sweet potato and lentil soup. Cauliflower soup with coconut milk. Tomato and roasted red pepper soup with pesto.

We're not vegetarian but they don't generally complain when I do cook vegetarian (2-3 times a week). I use lots of spices, and look for recipes from cultures where vegetarianism is common (like Indian food). If you're not used to using spices start with a good garam masala. Coconut milk and soy sauce are great for adding flavour. Also fish sauce if you're including fish in your diet. Browning is also important for flavours, so recipes that include fried or roasted ingredients are more flavourful.

There's no fat or acid in that. Maybe some wine, splash of vinegar, or lemon juice?

6 cups of water is not going to be flavorful either. We like the Better than Bouillon stock pastes. They make a vegetable stock version. It's cheaper than buying canned or boxed stock/broth and same or better taste. Canned vegetable stock can be oddly bitter to me.

What is missing is likely the Maillard reaction which, at high temperatures, reaction creates the yummy browning flavors and you can get caramelization. But that only works for temps above boiling point of water - so pan roast whatever veggies constitute the beginning of your meal, until the flavors develop. Don't ever just boil.

When you make soup, sautee onion, carrot, celery in oil until they get brown. Only then add the liquid and remaining ingredients.

Edited by regentrude