Menu

kbutton Subtypes of CAPD

You asked for more info about the sub-types of CAPD in my other thread, I found this website which explains them well:

http://www.ementalhealth.ca/Ontario/Auditory-Processing-Disorder-APD/index.php?m=article&ID=8900

Here is a particular excerpt from the page:

After review of your child’s test results in all the appropriate domains, the audiologist will determine which of the five types of auditory processing disorder fits your child’s profile. Three of these types are denoted as primary auditory processing disorders, and two are called secondary disorders. The primary subprofiles types are so named because the weakness is in the auditory system, the secondary types are felt to share difficulties in language or cognition.

The primary subprofiles are called: Auditory Decoding Deficit, which results from issues with the primary auditory cortex of the left cerebral hemisphere; Prosodic Deficit, which primarily stems from functional difficulties of the right cerebral hemisphere, and Integration Deficit, which arises from inefficient communication between the two cerebral hemispheres in language processing.  The secondary subprofiles are known as Associative Deficit (previously known as “childhood aphasiaâ€, and Output-Organization Deficit, which is demonstrated by difficulties in planning responses to auditory information in an organized manner.

It is important for the audiologist to identify the specific type of auditory processing disorder, as treatment and recommendations differ among the subtypes. For example, FM systems are often thought of as essential for a child with APD. But if that child has a Prosodic Deficit, it will be of little use, and should not always be recommended.

• Like 2

Thank you! I think part of our problem is that our testing was incomplete due to factors beyond anyone's control. The parts that were completed were clearly enough for a diagnosis, but we are in a bit of limbo about the types. I am having to read between the lines in the report.

Not all audiologists give a complete report.  I think it is more common that you get a diagnosis of ©APD and a list of some generic accommodations.  But a few very specialized (ie more costly) places with give you the sub-type with suggestions VERY specific to your type.  For ex and FM system works great for one type but actually makes things worse with another type.  Getting that specific info is very valuable!

• Like 1

if capd is a big problem (there are lists out there of what it can affect - a lot more than just "hearing". reading, writing, social skills, etc.  many overlaps with adhd, asd, ocd, etc.)   it is very worth it to find out exactly what area is affected, becasue therapy varies according to type. they generally have a minimum age for testing, because it's such a tedious process and the child needs to be able to cooperate.   and it's long.  even the 'basic' hearing test was an hour and a half.  (that's to rule out an organic hearing problem.)  the tests to determine specific types of apd are in another appointment.

my son is doing extremely well with decoding, after years of therapy at the school (the only kind they offer.).  he's borderline/passes for prosodic (the only kind for which FM headphones are recommended.).  if integration wasn't such a big deal for him, we'd be working on it too.

he's made progress (based on a reevaluation) using capdots therapy (he will really fight against it. it's hard.) for integration, but we will be moving on to another therapy. (I used to joke his GUI wouldn't talk to his HD. in a very casual setting, the audiologist was nodding her head yes.)  integration disorders are based in the corpus callosum,  which facilitates communication between the left and right hemispheres of the brain. (I was unhappy to learn baby boys need 3 TIMEs the essential fatty acids as girls - just for the development of the corpus callosum.)   therapy is aimed at hastening it's development.  in addition to therapy a very high quality fish oil is helpful, because it has the essential fatty acids needed by the corpus callosum to develop. (something his naturopath put him on.)